Sponsored by:

Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by napoleon1981
True, 7100lb diesel trucks and Saabs are the Achilles heel of 996 turbo. In fact I always get nervous when one pulls up along side me, knowing I'm going to get smoked in my poor x50.
Originally Posted by sgtpeper
^^^ You might have missed the video of his insane truck..
LOLOL Yeah, He must have missed it. lol

I'll post again in case!! lol

The whole interview

Old 08-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

1053 WHP dyno run

Rolling burnouts at 70-80 MPH with no down shifts...Just spool

Old 08-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
+2
They do unsecured loans on classics and older used, no inspection needed.
If it's unsecured, in what way is it "on classics"?
Old 08-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
We are reading about them online now. Seems it just a like a "signature loan" with nothing to secure the debt. Not sure how they'd even keep you from buying something other than a car, once the papers are signed.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
You're right, it is just marketed that way. They don't even have my VIN. My loan has no minimum time length, can be paid off anytime.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Can someone explain the coolant line issue where the lines have to be pinned and what that means & entails?

Seen it mentioned a few times so far but have not dug into what the issue is yet. I might need to know this before I buy one but eventually I will have time to do as much research as possible. I'm having to do my research in spurts between work and other things.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Can someone explain the coolant line issue where the lines have to be pinned and what that means & entails?
Simplistic Overview:

The fittings for the coolant lines on the Mezger turbo engines are
'bonded' into the engine. It is supposed to be a permanent bond, and for many cars it is...

On some engines, particularly tracked cars, the adhesive fails and the fitting and attached coolant line comes free, spraying coolant all over the track and everywhere else. It doesn't necessarily harm anything else assuming you shut it down quickly and don't wreck, or cause someone else to wreck, because of the slippery coolant all over the road.

The fittings inquestion are usually addressed in one of these ways:
  • Ignore them, they might never fail (90%+ of 996TT's out there?)
  • Re-bond the coolant pipes after failure (Porsche did this on early failures, I believe it can be done *engine in*)
  • Weld the coolant pipes.
  • 'Pin' the coolant pipes, which means drilling/tapping a small hole in the outer portion and installing a set screw.

For the most part, it involves removing the engine, though some have had success pining the most or all of the coolant lines without removing the engine.

Though you'll hear about it tons on the forum, on 90% of the 996TT's out there , the coolant pipes have never been a problem, never been addressed, and the owners will have not a clue what you are talking about.

Here's an example of a pinned coolant pipe:

Example of welded pipes:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole

Seen it mentioned a few times so far but have not dug into what the issue is yet. I might need to know this before I buy one but eventually I will have time to do as much research as possible. I'm having to do my research in spurts between work and other things.
Involves the below. 8 coolant lines, some are easier than others to get to, but to do it right the engine has to come out
I had them welded and pressure tested, and did a bunch of other stuff while I was in there (pretty much anything rubber was replaced). In my case for everything it was about $10k...In my opinion it was done "the right way" with no expense spared on replacing wear parts. I dont think anyone has a definitive answer on what is better, pinning or welding. I just think of the welding as a sure fire one time replacement for it being fixed the first time (as long as it is properly pressure tested, which mine was).

Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

TWO very awesome replies with good information. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much for the post and pictures.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Some more pictures from my engine out, i like these ones. Shows the attention to detail that my mechanic lives by. His shop is like a zen garden for car guys haha!

Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
Some more pictures from my engine out, i like these ones. Shows the attention to detail that my mechanic lives by. His shop is like a zen garden for car guys haha!

Well I hope I don't necessarily have to do all of that if and when I buy a 996 turbo but it's good to know what it entails.

Since I seem to have turned this thread into a completely 996 turbo tutorial question and answer session, Lol. I might as well just keep asking about other common problems that I should expect to possibly have once I buy the car.

I keep posting because I really appreciate the help learning on a quick curve .

Thank you!!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Well I hope I don't necessarily have to do all of that if and when I buy a 996 turbo but it's good to know what it entails.

Since I seem to have turned this thread into a completely 996 turbo tutorial question and answer session, Lol. I might as well just keep asking about other common problems that I should expect to possibly have once I buy the car.

I keep posting because I really appreciate the help learning on a quick curve .

Thank you!!
You will have to if you want to do any DE track events that are PCA sponsored with your car. The cars are basically "outlawed" until this is fixed as it is a huge safety risk on the track for you, and potentially worse for others that would be behind you if you leave a huge trail of slick coolant. Up until this year my region was allowing the cars to us water whetter, but that is no longer allowed. Fixed or no track time, so I bit the bullet once, and will never have to again. I did this all in time with a clutch replacement and upgrade to maximize labor savings from my shop, thus the added expense. The only other problems that I actually had fail on my car were the fuel pump, and the alternator. No big deal to fix. Other than that the car has been incredibly reliable.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
You will have to if you want to do any DE track events that are PCA sponsored with your car. The cars are basically "outlawed" until this is fixed as it is a huge safety risk on the track for you, and potentially worse for others that would be behind you if you leave a huge trail of slick coolant. Up until this year my region was allowing the cars to us water whetter, but that is no longer allowed. Fixed or no track time, so I bit the bullet once, and will never have to again. I did this all in time with a clutch replacement and upgrade to maximize labor savings from my shop, thus the added expense. The only other problems that I actually had fail on my car were the fuel pump, and the alternator. No big deal to fix. Other than that the car has been incredibly reliable.
Good info to know! Not planning on track time, But I know me, and once someone talks me into it I'll be hooked!! I did track days on sport bikes for many years!!

Thank you for that info.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:53 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Simplistic Overview:

The fittings for the coolant lines on the Mezger turbo engines are
'bonded' into the engine. It is supposed to be a permanent bond, and for many cars it is...

On some engines, particularly tracked cars, the adhesive fails and the fitting and attached coolant line comes free, spraying coolant all over the track and everywhere else. It doesn't necessarily harm anything else assuming you shut it down quickly and don't wreck, or cause someone else to wreck, because of the slippery coolant all over the road.

The fittings inquestion are usually addressed in one of these ways:
  • Ignore them, they might never fail (90%+ of 996TT's out there?)
  • Re-bond the coolant pipes after failure (Porsche did this on early failures, I believe it can be done *engine in*)
  • Weld the coolant pipes.
  • 'Pin' the coolant pipes, which means drilling/tapping a small hole in the outer portion and installing a set screw.

For the most part, it involves removing the engine, though some have had success pining the most or all of the coolant lines without removing the engine.

Though you'll hear about it tons on the forum, on 90% of the 996TT's out there , the coolant pipes have never been a problem, never been addressed, and the owners will have not a clue what you are talking about.

Here's an example of a pinned coolant pipe:

Example of welded pipes:
Great post.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Well I just sold my car today, so I'm totally Ready to buy !

Please folks, if you find any that you think are good cars, fair price, and my Silver, Gray, Charcoal, color pref., please post link here.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT