Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak found - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leak found - now what?

I have been tracking down a leak that makes my passenger-side carpet wet every time it rains. One thing that I did find was this hole after I removed the battery. In this picture, it's like you are sitting in the passenger seat and looking forward, so the hole is actually against the fender behind the front of the battery.
I am going to grind away of much of the rust as possible, but what do I do about this hole? If I simply patch it up I am concerned that there's moisture or dirt that I am sealing into the fender… And I checked from the wheel well and it is not accessible from there. I vacuumed out as much as I could, but I'm afraid I could be causing myself a bigger problem in the long run. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Old 08-02-2017, 04:33 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very common problem with 944's. The battery trays are almost always rusty due to clogged drains and old battery acids. Most people fiberglass over the tray, I did. Concerning the moisture, maybe you can stick a torch in there and heat it up to dry it out? That's tough.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Here was my similar project. Unfortunately many threads with similar stories.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...y-options.html

Use air and heat to ensure you are not trapping in moisture, and use a rust encapsulator designed for internal chassis areas, like this:

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...hoCHOoQAvD_BwE

Also use plenty of surface rust neutralizer/encapsulator even after grinding/cutting away the bad portions of metal. It will get the little rust remaining and help stop it from coming back. Lots of brands to choose from, and lots of debates about which is best.

Also, are you sure that area in the picture is not the factory drain for the battery box? It looks suspiciously similar to the drain port with rust edges. Last thing you'd want to do is seal up the drain...
Old 08-02-2017, 06:39 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...tery-tray.html
Old 08-03-2017, 12:54 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^^^

have tried buying that from him before and he doesn't answer his messages sent him
Old 08-03-2017, 10:35 AM
Schmooey
Instructor

Also, are you sure that area in the picture is not the factory drain for the battery box? It looks suspiciously similar to the drain port with rust edges. Last thing you'd want to do is seal up the drain...[/QUOTE]

Hi Tom and thanks for the reply. I have been reading conflicting information about this, so I am wondering if the drains were changed in later models... (just a guess).... but from what I could see in my '84, the location of the rust hole (#2 in the pic) is in the corner by the front of the battery... and the drain (that I think is the only one?) is #1 in the pic... so I think that the rust hole is just that - a hole and not the remains of a drain.

I hope I am right about this???
Old 08-03-2017, 10:58 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Yes, you are correct. There should only be metal where your rust hole is. Only drain is the #1 you pointed out that drains into the engine bay.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Schmooey
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikehayes
Yes, you are correct. There should only be metal where your rust hole is. Only drain is the #1 you pointed out that drains into the engine bay.
Thank you!!!!! Now the tedious process of grinding and cutting can begin.....
Old 08-03-2017, 11:57 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehayes
I'm not sure this is true. Edit to correct: #2 is forward of drain to the fender area.

It would be wise to confirm this before closing off something you wouldn't want to. Should be very easy to have a helper pour water in the questionable locations and see where it ends up.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 08-03-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
I'm not sure this is true. #2 looks like the drain to the fender area.
Hi Scott and thanks... I found this pic online and I am wondering if arrow #2 is the drain that you are referring to? (Arrow #1 is where the rust hole on my '84 is.) I am not near my car now, but this does look like my setup... thanks
Old 08-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schmooey
Hi Scott and thanks... I found this pic online and I am wondering if arrow #2 is the drain that you are referring to? (Arrow #1 is where the rust hole on my '84 is.) I am not near my car now, but this does look like my setup... thanks
Yes - in your image, #2 is the intended drain. #1 is a problem.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:11 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by Schmooey
huh... Sorry for the misinformation. This threw me for a loop so bad I had to walk out of the office and pop my hood haha. I ground down/cleaned my whole battery tray before fiberglassing it and definitely never saw this drain. I wonder if it was there and I fiberglassed over it.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

If so, just drill a large hole through it to open the drain.

Try one of these...

And after looking again at this image:

The orange arrow is pointing to the drain location. Is that your car? It looks to have the drain covered.

I don't know what #1 is pointing at. I don't think there is any drain in that area.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:19 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Scott, I think the battery tray must have gone through a revision at some point. Location #1 is where I have a drain on my car. It's a tube through that wall with a rubber flap on the end that drains into the engine bay. I'm almost positive there is no fender drain on my car.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:26 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Scott, I think the battery tray must have gone through a revision at some point. Location #1 is where I have a drain on my car. It's a tube through that wall with a rubber flap on the end that drains into the engine bay. I'm almost positive there is no fender drain on my car.

Quick Reply: Leak found - now what?