Formula E: fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:41 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Formula E: fail

We went to formula E last weekend.

Car racing without noise is simpy not compelling. In fact, it sux. If the manufacturers think this is the future of car racing, our sport is finished.

And this is ignoring that the facility sucked, the transportation logistics were a complete failure, and they served ovo-lacto-vegan-glutenfree-soy-crap to the hipsters.

Oh, and they breathlessly demonstrated AI controlled driverless car racing. The car drove around at 35 mph and couldnt find an apex. Who in their right mind thinks that driving enthusiasts are going to cheer for driverless racing?

I guess I'll watch bicycle racing in the future when car racing is done.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:37 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha, well put!
Old 07-18-2017, 10:45 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993

Car racing without noise is simpy not compelling. In fact, it sux. If the manufacturers think this is the future of car racing, our sport is finished.

And this is ignoring that the facility sucked, the transportation logistics were a complete failure, and they served ovo-lacto-vegan-glutenfree-soy-crap to the hipsters.

Oh, and they breathlessly demonstrated AI controlled driverless car racing. The car drove around at 35 mph and couldnt find an apex. Who in their right mind thinks that driving enthusiasts are going to cheer for driverless racing?

I guess I'll watch bicycle racing in the future when car racing is done.
I was able to obtain a picture of the meal:

Old 07-18-2017, 10:53 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I was able to obtain a picture of the meal:

That'll make me fit into my race suit...
Old 07-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
That'll make me fit into my race suit...
Your suit better be made outa hemp or you will suffer endless hairy eyeball stares from the Greenpeace people.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:28 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

There is always boat racing... Just got my tickets to see H1 hydroplanes in Detroit next month... Super exited about that...

Was surprised to see Formula-e was 1:00 primetime NBC on Sunday, but Indycar was 7pm tape delayed on one of the secondary networks...

I hope this is not indicative of the future... I've tried to watch Formula-E a couple of times on TV, buckets of lamesauce..

Now driverless cars that actually run at speed.. I would pay to see that... more as an exhibition of technology than a race, but it would be cool to see what state of the art tech can do..
Old 07-18-2017, 12:37 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993

Audi claims the new A8 is capable of driving itself up to 37 mph. Maybe they ought to enter the next race.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:09 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Was excited to see the NYC backdrop for this race as well as see if there have been any advancements since last year when I watched about 10 mins. and then moved on. I turned it on and laughed out loud they had it in a dirty industrial warehouse district with absolutely no fan facilities.

And after a year (or has it been 2?) every driver still needs to pull into the garage 1/2 way though the race to change cars because the batteries can't last the race. PASS.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:34 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinout
Was excited to see the NYC backdrop for this race as well as see if there have been any advancements since last year when I watched about 10 mins. and then moved on. I turned it on and laughed out loud they had it in a dirty industrial warehouse district with absolutely no fan facilities.

And after a year (or has it been 2?) every driver still needs to pull into the garage 1/2 way though the race to change cars because the batteries can't last the race. PASS.
On the batteries I was very surprised they didn't design the cars to use removable packs. Pull off the bottom with integrated bodywork or slide out the back with the diffuser integrated, whatever makes packaging sense. It's a new clean sheet spec car design so they could do whatever they liked to make it work. They could then try to sell the idea of changing battery packs in the middle as a refueling pit stop.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the EASY answer to the problem:

Old 07-18-2017, 04:03 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way to make Formula-E successful is to implement a carless driver with a driverless car... then remove all the other stuff you don't need as a result.

...and that's when the thread dissappeared "poof" and nobody saw it ever again.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:35 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
The only way to make Formula-E successful is to implement a carless driver with a driverless car... then remove all the other stuff you don't need as a result.

...and that's when the thread dissappeared "poof" and nobody saw it ever again.
That's the way to go. Totally virtual. No environmental impact studies, no green house gasses, no noise or sight pollution. Microsoft will just send everybody the VR gear and you can buy products by just looking at them. See a nice grid girl you want to take home? No problem....
Old 07-18-2017, 09:07 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree, with everyone here but they have an interesting angle to get people to the track.

Holding the races in town on closed circuits people will come check it out rather than drive an hour to VIR or go to sebring. Although I love both places and enjoy the surroundings.

THe issue is ticket sales and getting fans tot he track.

Read another article about how the britsh GP losses something like 4 or 5 million pounds during each event because of the cost to host an F1 race.

Our sport is really taking it on the chin.

How many times does FX1 or 2 indicate they are going to show a race only to have a program change to US dart throwing or something else....

I can only hope it gets better but not sure what promoters can do. Even Nascar has lost is luster....

Tennis anyone.......
Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

The concept of the closed course "in town" was a good one. It's execution left much to be desired. I do get that NYC is hardly a condusive place for this sort of event.

I'm utterly shocked by the committment to formula E by all of the manufacturers' teams currently and soon to be participating. There's alot of bucks and big name drivers moving into an innovation that is un-compelling. Other than it's trendy, I don't get it.

(Stujelly--did I see your pbr car at the glen earlier this year? If so, it's a reall looker!)
Old 07-19-2017, 02:14 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,157 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Formula E offends me. The way they promote it, the way they try to make it like its the next form of racing, who their target market is, everything.

Everything about Formula E sucks. I feel sorry for the drivers as some are really good.

Quick Reply: Formula E: fail