Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 838 Posts

It's stupid and intellectually insulting
Old 07-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm still upset about F1 going to turbos...NO way I could get into electric.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
I agree, with everyone here but they have an interesting angle to get people to the track.

Holding the races in town on closed circuits people will come check it out rather than drive an hour to VIR or go to sebring. Although I love both places and enjoy the surroundings.

THe issue is ticket sales and getting fans tot he track.

Read another article about how the britsh GP losses something like 4 or 5 million pounds during each event because of the cost to host an F1 race.

Our sport is really taking it on the chin.

How many times does FX1 or 2 indicate they are going to show a race only to have a program change to US dart throwing or something else....

I can only hope it gets better but not sure what promoters can do. Even Nascar has lost is luster....

Tennis anyone.......
I agree that having it on city streets makes sense because people may come down and watch it, but if it doesn't compel racing fans to watch it on TV for FREE, they've got a bad business.

The money they've pumped into this is mindboggling. It reminds me of how the NBA is pumping money into the WNBA, except that the WNBA is more successful which is saying something.

NO ONE IS GOING TO WATCH THIS. LEAVE THE ELECTRIC CARS FOR THE STREET.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 224 Posts

I can't get by the fact that their pit stop is used to get out and climb into the 2nd car for the rest of the 'race.'

It is an absolute joke and two years later it is still not ready for prime time.

I'm sure the Prius drivers out there get a kick out of it.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
I can't get by the fact that their pit stop is used to get out and climb into the 2nd car for the rest of the 'race.'

It is an absolute joke and two years later it is still not ready for prime time.

I'm sure the Prius drivers out there get a kick out of it.
Agreed. That's the real issue.

Spec Prius anyone?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:38 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't think anybody is ready for this yet. It's too much of a shock to us piston heads. But that's the future like it or not. It will be the end of the great car era as we know it. So enjoy your gasoline burning heat engine while you can.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,158 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Agreed. That's the real issue.

Spec Prius anyone?
It'll be like Monaco with only a left lane and they finish in the order they started.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:22 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
The concept of the closed course "in town" was a good one. It's execution left much to be desired. I do get that NYC is hardly a condusive place for this sort of event.

I'm utterly shocked by the committment to formula E by all of the manufacturers' teams currently and soon to be participating. There's alot of bucks and big name drivers moving into an innovation that is un-compelling. Other than it's trendy, I don't get it.

(Stujelly--did I see your pbr car at the glen earlier this year? If so, it's a reall looker!)
yes sir, all done, just fine tuning it. My son and daughter finally got to drive it this weekend at road america. Of course they love it
Old 07-20-2017, 07:45 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 672 Likes on 324 Posts

Marc thanks for starting this thread I too have absolutely no interest in Formula E and I too believe at some point these will be autonomius vehicles racing think of them as the modern example of the slot car tracks I went to as a kid. Instead of the control box I operated to keep my *** Chapperal on the track we will see computer geeks on the side controlling Formula E cars, as many of my car buddies say "we are glad we are nearer the end than the beginning"
Rich
Old 07-20-2017, 08:20 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

^Funny you should say that.
I commented that the event sounded exactly like a slot car track of my youth (in my case a *** super cucarocha). At some point very soon cars will be operated by geeks wearing VR glasses sitting at some remote location.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
It'll be like Monaco with only a left lane and they finish in the order they started.
Haha! Exactly!
For years I have also advocated a Spec Suburban series with paintball. Or real ordnance
Old 07-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

Downtown circuit with almost no advertising. I live 20 miles away and no one knew that this event was going on. The first time a heard an advertisement was the day of the event . Its a shame it was run so poorly

Quick Reply: Formula E: fail