Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How 'special' is the new GT2RS engine really?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:37 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's clearly more special than the Turbo S Exclusive engine. Beyond that I don't know.

This car is destined to be a garage queen. If it ever got put through a rigid test by customers I have a feeling that reliabilty issues may arise especially in hot climates.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

The more I ponder it the more reasons I find to pass and wait for .2GT3RS.

If I pulled my money off like sheets of toilet paper it would be a different analysis.

Plus I love the fact the GT3/RS has roots in Motorsport and was motorsport from '15 onward. GT2RS not so much.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:20 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The car is running 1) a maximum boost pressure of 1.55 bar and 2) is utilizing a water injection system to keep IATs down so the car can continue to utilize higher boost pressures over a greater range of ambient operating temperatures. To me this represents a break from Porsche's previous philosophy of lower boost pressures, broad power band, and expensive intercooling.

With that in mind, does anyone know how the efficiency of these ICs stack up to the ones in previous 911 Turbos? My suspicion is that with more expensive ICs there may (guessing here) not be a need for the spray system. Said differently, there may be additional efficiency that could be captured if the hardware had been more expensive. Sorry guys, I'm thinking out loud here because I'm trying to piece together what I've read in other threads about boost/IC efficiency.

The other question I had is about lag. If Porsche are willing to have the driver incur a little lag with the pursuit of bigger turbos that work better up top, on the track, and with shorter gearing, how are they deciding how much is appropriate? I suspect that because modern turbocharged cars are so efficient, any compromise for more power with more lag is going to be quite noticeable. At that point, what becomes acceptable? I'm pretty sure that during one of the reviews of the Mclaren 570 against the 911 Turbo S, the journalist indicated that the Mclaren felt laggy, but had ultimately had better acceleration. This may not help in more real world conditions (back roads, getting on to the highway, etc), but on a track, airfield, or autobahn, would the pursuit of better numbers be more important to the buyers and the marketing department?
Old 07-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,452 Likes on 756 Posts

Just buy a Turbo S, throw a tune and a wing on it and magic- you will still have s car that will catapult you to all speeds and more car than one can manage

This whole GT2RS fixation I find hysterical. The car is over priced and Porsche must be laughing in the board room as they are stuffing their sox with money
Old 07-09-2017, 10:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
What does it matter? The outputs are known and you can expect it to take the punishment. It's as special as you believe it to be.
Try telling that to the Porsche circle jerks still wonking over the Mezger engine every time someone brings up the 991 GT3/RS.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,799 Posts

delete

Last edited by GrantG; 07-09-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:33 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The engine of the GT2RS requires special oil that is forged from unicorn blood and dinosauer DNA. You cannot run higher boost without sorcery. Everyone knows this.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by FJSeattle
The engine of the GT2RS requires special oil that is forged from unicorn blood and dinosauer DNA. You cannot run higher boost without sorcery. Everyone knows this.
Don't forget that special engine oil you have to use, made by the company that rhymes with "orange"
Old 07-10-2017, 02:21 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro911
With that in mind, does anyone know how the efficiency of these ICs stack up to the ones in previous 911 Turbos? My suspicion is that with more expensive ICs there may (guessing here) not be a need for the spray system.
A larger intercooler would likely have eliminated the need for water cooling, but the extra volume would have increased lag and aero drag slightly. That said there are some very fancy race intercoolers that can increase efficiency, though at a premium even race teams will wince at. Given Porsche's preference for component sharing my money's on the RS using the regular Turbo's intercoolers, but I'd prefer that over more lag.

Originally Posted by enduro911
The other question I had is about lag. If Porsche are willing to have the driver incur a little lag with the pursuit of bigger turbos that work better up top, on the track, and with shorter gearing, how are they deciding how much is appropriate? I suspect that because modern turbocharged cars are so efficient, any compromise for more power with more lag is going to be quite noticeable. At that point, what becomes acceptable? I'm pretty sure that during one of the reviews of the Mclaren 570 against the 911 Turbo S, the journalist indicated that the Mclaren felt laggy, but had ultimately had better acceleration.
The GT2RS will have increased lag- lower compression ratio, higher boost pressure and bigger turbos mean spool-up will take longer. How much is too much comes down to both the driver and the type of driving you're doing. On the autobahn you're buried for 20 seconds at a time and could virtually care less. The busier you are with inputs and the more you're balancing the car with the throttle the more lag matters. Even the Turbo S's lag is very noticeable in certain situations, so there's no question the lag will blunt precision vs normal aspiration. The more often you try to dial in a particular slip angle with a throttle stab the bigger an issue you'll likely find it. Then again for some that unpredictability can even add to the fun, so there's no one answer.

To the original question, I'm sure we'll find high 90s percent of parts are shared with the other engines in the family, likely far more than the GT3... That's not really a knock keeping the extreme modularity in mind. A base Boxster shares over 90% of its core parts and ancillaries with a Turbo S, including critical ones you'd never guess at such as main engine bearings, block, etc.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:43 AM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

What's funny is the guys waxing about the old days aren't going back very far. Porsches used to be turbo, on-off switched beasts.

I think my favorite comments are that it "is not Motorsport." The shared component list of 3RS and RSR is very short. Does "is not Motorsport" translate to "not on list"?

These are street cars and this thing is going to be a blast!
Old 07-10-2017, 06:14 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
. Even the Turbo S's lag is very noticeable in certain situations, so there's no question the lag will blunt precision vs normal aspiration.
Pete, did you drive the new Turbo S ? I could barely discern any lag in this latest engine/PDK set up, even the transition from off boost to on boost is amazing just a very linear curve with no real step up..... The RS I'm sure will be different with its CR and bigger turbos but I suspect it will be relatively lagless if the latest ttS is anything to go by.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:10 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It will only need 7.1PSI boost to match the compression ratio of the mill in the .2GT3, which is not a lot. Its interesting to note the 488GTB runs a static ratio of 9.4:1 and the newer 3l 9A2 has a static ratio of 10:1 . So at first blush it looks a little dated.

Static compression ratios of turbo charged cars
WRX STI 8.2:1
RS275 8.6:1
A45AMG 8.6:1
570S 8.7:1
GT2RS 9:1
EVOX 9:1
488GTB 9.4:1
GolfR 9.6:1
991.2S 10:1
M4GTS 10.2:1
AMG GT S 10.5:1
720S 10.5:1

Last edited by randr; 07-10-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:55 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO, it is the test engine for switching the RSR to turbo. Why do the factory testing when a bunch of people will pay you $300k+ to do it for you. They needed to be under 4L displacement as per the regs.

It's the same playbook as the 991.1 GT3.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 700 Likes on 330 Posts

The reviews aren't even out yet but it feels like people are looking for reasons to hate this car and justify their decision to wait for the .2 GT3 RS.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Only thing I hate about it is the Porsche allocation BS. I want the car but if they won't sell me one there are lots of other options.

Quick Reply: How 'special' is the new GT2RS engine really?