Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel recovering

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:06 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is guards red too, and I was on the fence about doing red stitching instead of black. I did black, and it looks great. But if I were to do it all over again, I'd re-wrap my e-brake, shift **** and steering wheel with matching red stitching.

Then you have to get red seat belts and countless other matching trim bits...
Old 07-05-2017, 12:35 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
My car is guards red too, and I was on the fence about doing red stitching instead of black. I did black, and it looks great. But if I were to do it all over again, I'd re-wrap my e-brake, shift **** and steering wheel with matching red stitching.

Then you have to get red seat belts and countless other matching trim bits...
looks good. I think i may stick with Black as well to keep it simple. Red does open a can of worms. What thickness did you spec on your wheel? Looks pretty thick but may be the angle. Also, did you specify a specific leather?

How about white stitching a la Momo Prototipo? I already plan to shave the thumbrests for a more vintage look.

Last edited by GBX; 07-05-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:32 PM
akrca4
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts

Also did mine last year. Went with silver stitching since my car is silver.

Andy
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2017, 04:48 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Me too, silver stitching for my Polar Silver car. Have had it on the car for over a year and love it more every time I drive it.
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2017, 02:40 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GBX
looks good. I think i may stick with Black as well to keep it simple. Red does open a can of worms. What thickness did you spec on your wheel? Looks pretty thick but may be the angle. Also, did you specify a specific leather?
I had them increase the thickness by the minimum amount (2mm all around IIRC?). And no, I didn't specify a leather. Just told them it is a 993, and want the color to match the existing interior.

I did my black C4S shift **** too, and it looked like a great copy of the original.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:43 PM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Bringing this back. Sander, can you repost the pic of your wheel? Trying to decide how to spec mine. Thanks.

I love the red stitching, it really pops. Ultimately, I'd like the airbag recovered in the same shade of black leather they used for the steering wheel. Also, I still need to find a better emblem, one with gold that more or less matches my hood emblem.

I hope this pic helps GBX.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:20 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,501 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Why not try recovering ones own wheel? I seem to recall there are precut and punched leather kits for this. Seeing that the wheel itself acts as a precision buck to stretch the leather over how hard can it be? No harder than recovering a seat and without the complication of the foam padding involved in tensioning the leather on a seat.

These guys wouldn't sell them unless their customers had good experiences with them:

http://www.classic9leathershop.com/9...t-porsche-911/

Andy
Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Why not try recovering ones own wheel? I seem to recall there are precut and punched leather kits for this. Seeing that the wheel itself acts as a precision buck to stretch the leather over how hard can it be? No harder than recovering a seat and without the complication of the foam padding involved in tensioning the leather on a seat.

These guys wouldn't sell them unless their customers had good experiences with them:

Andy
I ordered one of those a few years ago and found that the cover would only fit if the original cover was removed first. So I sent it back. I'm pretty patient and handy, but I think things like this need experience. The leather fitting and stitching quality are really important, and I'm extremely happy with mine.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:53 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

You can recover your own. wheel. You can also make your own shoes and build your own car. I prefer to do what I know how to do and pay a craftsman for his work.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:49 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sander97C2

I love the red stitching, it really pops. Ultimately, I'd like the airbag recovered in the same shade of black leather they used for the steering wheel. Also, I still need to find a better emblem, one with gold that more or less matches my hood emblem.

I hope this pic helps GBX.
It does. Thanks!

Originally Posted by nile13
You can recover your own. wheel. You can also make your own shoes and build your own car. I prefer to do what I know how to do and pay a craftsman for his work.
Funny. I'm in the shoe business. Def don't attempt to make your own shoes

On another note, what do you guys think of eliminating the 2 seams at the bottom of the wheel (5 and 7 o'clock positions) and using a since bottom center seam (6 o'clock) like on the RS wheel? That, along with shaving the thumbrests could have a Pretty cool and vintage look.

RS wheel for reference:

Last edited by GBX; 07-08-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

It would end up looking like a homemade job.
Originally Posted by pp000830

Andy
Old 07-08-2017, 11:49 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
It would end up looking like a homemade job.
Agreed. While I am a total cheapass at heart I have had several wheels done by Cardreams. Well worth it versus my DIY attempts.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:38 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

What is the solution to redoing the end of the ebrake handle? If I don't find a nice one I am sending out my wheel this winter and would like to do the ebrake handle (just the Leather end is worn) at the same time. I have a function first shift **** on order (boot is ok except top was cut) and am going to have a custom wood **** made too.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:08 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

They can wrap the e-brake handle for you. Just tell them how you want it.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:10 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Just completed at Cardreams! Can't wait to get this back

Quick Reply: Steering wheel recovering