Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Some pics from today 1977 911- Big Project Thanks Douggie Fresh aka AmberGramps..

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:23 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Some pics from today 1977 911- Big Project Thanks Douggie Fresh aka AmberGramps..

I'll start off with the usual intro- its a 1977 911 w 3.0SC engine & 964 bumpers etc..i bought it that way!

I've had the car a couple of months, started off with sugar scoops headlights which looked ridiculous with the 964 stuff + turbo wheels and sat up so high like a 4x4.

I was able to get some H4's + 3 spoke steering wheel of CL ..and when i bought the car the seller gave me an extra set of wheels that look like cup wheels however the car came with turbo twists on it. I was actually considering selling the car but now i just don't think i can!

After doing that stuff and putting on the wheels the only thing left was lowering the car..Douggie Fresh AKA Doug AKA Amber Gramps offered to help me since day 1..today i went to his house spent the day there, he was so gracious and pretty much took on the project all himself as i know nothing about mechanical work...We had to reindex the Torsion bars for the rear which was a serious job,, my mechanic had lowered the front but told me rear will be a pain..but Doug assured me he can tackle the issue..

We lowered the car, well Doug did with his amazing tools and garage he has at home, first side took a little while but 2nd was a breeze we made some great steaks and i made a new friend..the car looks PERFECT..after that we hit the canyons around Doug's house..great day all in all!

PSougs SC is a MONSTER..i was scared riding in that thing lol.

Thanks again Amber Gramps for your help & hospitality! youre a true Gentleman sir! This is the beauty of the Forums & this community!
Attached Images        
Old 07-02-2017, 02:19 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You are way too kind. I love this stuff and can't believe I don't have to pay for the privilege of wrenching on them. You guys keep coming up with projects and I'll keep doing them for you. .

Wasn't sure what we would find with the 964 body and 915 tranny. No big deal really. T-bars stayed in the spring plates so we used magnetic digital levels to confirm that we only rotated the spring plates one click. This gave us something like 8.3° of difference in their resting angle. Super easy. Bars we're clean and red so guessing bigger than stock but didn't measure so don't know size. Set the toe with a tape measure...I think it was 51mm so some toe-in. Had a level on the rotors to set camber. Started at 87° and went to 89° with the wheels off and shocks on and bumper level. Gave us about 2° negative once on the ground. Looked **** on the first try. Was funny.....had 3/16" higher arches on driver's side and Terek was worried until I said sit in the car. I could see his mind blow.

Most interesting was the spotless tranny. You could have eaten off of it. Newer Bilstein HD's, newer oil lines, spotless lower valve covers, but the transmission looked like it left Stuttgart earlier today.

Again, Terek, thank you for a fantastic day. The steaks we're more than enough.
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Both cars are righteous!
Old 07-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Both cars are righteous!
Tarek made the mistake of judging his car against mine. I told him that he didn't need to do that. My car is newer and has been owned by an obsessive perfectionist for ten years. My car's sole purpose is to climb that canyon...PERIOD. His car was built to look good. His interior is far more comfortable and is complete. His has superior aerodynamics while mine is a brick. Neither car wins any concourse points and both **** off the purists. So while going up that canyon behind mine may have frustrated Tarek, he need only look at the photo of his car down on the shore to be perfectly happy with is purchase. Is that not a hot slammed car?
Old 07-02-2017, 01:43 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Lol..your car was indeed made to climb that canyon..torque galore!!!
Old 07-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Where are the pictures of Ted's red 964?

Look at that car....puts mine to shame.

Your Long Beach pictures are awesome.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW, huge difference. Love the wheels.

Dougie's Carrera makes the most delicious sound that I have ever heard from a 3.2 motor. Period.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak

Dougie's Carrera makes the most delicious sound that I have ever heard from a 3.2 motor. Period.
That is correct.

That is the sound of 200+ to the ground.....but this thread isn't about my car.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

Cool that the two of you met and did this - love for our cars brings strangers together.

Both cars look great, those roads look like fun!!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak

Dougs car kind of makes me not like mine anymore..i felt like i was in a go cart when going through the canyons behind him
Old 07-03-2017, 05:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Dougs car kind of makes me not like mine anymore..i felt like i was in a go cart when going through the canyons behind him
Don't feel bad, Brother. Doug's 911 kills my Carrera in the looks department as well as performance. I would need to go home and get the Cayman just to keep up.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 178 Posts

love that look, the wheels matching the color of the car

going to do that to my GT Silver car

Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 70 Posts

nice looking, lowering is a must
Old 07-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Jmorski
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks way better - congrats
Old 07-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Tarek307
No, I was in the go cart.....you were in a shopping cart.

I'm sorry dude...you just sooooo set that up.

Like I said, it took me a couple of years to decide where to go with my car. It wasn't ever going to be a concourse car so I put it on a diet. I studied every book, magazine, website, and visited every C&C, club event, shop, and devised a plan. I developed a master list of mods...small changes that would take me further towards having the ultimate car. Remember how my brakes scared the ship out of you? That was by design, but it took me years to finally save up, source, mod, rebuild, etc. Remember that big green machine in my shed? That was the milling machine I used to modify the 930 Brembo calipers so they'd fit the narrow body bananas. I also used it to de-camber and raise my front spindles. There is no way I could have ever just written a check or paid someone else to do the work. It was slow and low budget but consistent. No credit cards, no debt, just lots of favors from friends and the good fortune to live in the Mecca of all things Porsche. Anyway, don't compare your car to mine. Trust me, I don't dare compare mine to the hot rods the factory is putting out today.

Quick Reply: Some pics from today 1977 911- Big Project Thanks Douggie Fresh aka AmberGramps..