Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Some pics from today 1977 911- Big Project Thanks Douggie Fresh aka AmberGramps..

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,135 Likes on 811 Posts

I'm not a fan of slammed cars, but very impressive Doug can pull that off in a day. That's the one project I have never attempted as it looks to be such a PITA.

My rear torsion bar covers are getting close to the bar so the time is coming.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:28 PM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
You are way too kind. I love this stuff and can't believe I don't have to pay for the privilege of wrenching on them. You guys keep coming up with projects and I'll keep doing them for you. .

Wasn't sure what we would find with the 964 body and 915 tranny. No big deal really. T-bars stayed in the spring plates so we used magnetic digital levels to confirm that we only rotated the spring plates one click. This gave us something like 8.3° of difference in their resting angle. Super easy. Bars we're clean and red so guessing bigger than stock but didn't measure so don't know size. Set the toe with a tape measure...I think it was 51mm so some toe-in. Had a level on the rotors to set camber. Started at 87° and went to 89° with the wheels off and shocks on and bumper level. Gave us about 2° negative once on the ground. Looked **** on the first try. Was funny.....had 3/16" higher arches on driver's side and Terek was worried until I said sit in the car. I could see his mind blow.

Most interesting was the spotless tranny. You could have eaten off of it. Newer Bilstein HD's, newer oil lines, spotless lower valve covers, but the transmission looked like it left Stuttgart earlier today.

Again, Terek, thank you for a fantastic day. The steaks we're more than enough.
And another job well done Doug. You are getting so good at that you could start your own independent shop.

And if you ever get out my way you are more than welcome to stay at my place, although you'd most likely enjoy your cooking better than mine.

Since you've had plenty of practice working on Allan's 968 I'd trust you to help me work on mine.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dougs968
And another job well done Doug. You are getting so good at that you could start your own independent shop.

And if you ever get out my way you are more than welcome to stay at my place, although you'd most likely enjoy your cooking better than mine.

Since you've had plenty of practice working on Allan's 968 I'd trust you to help me work on mine.
He told me last week the Sledgehammer is headed back out here for another round of mods.......Heaven help us all if that happens.

Originally Posted by theiceman
I'm not a fan of slammed cars, but very impressive Doug can pull that off in a day. That's the one project I have never attempted as it looks to be such a PITA.

Stupid me loosened the nut on the height adjustment eccentric bolt too far on the passenger side and had the bolt pop out of the back of the spring plate. Idiot move. Cost me an hour. Was wanting to just see if I could get away without reindexing....'cause it was hot out and it wasn't my car. Once the eccentric was back in and it was clear I was going to reindex it went plenty fast. Second side only took about an hour with air tools on the wheels and shocks and hand tools everywhere else. So really it was like 4 hours work. LOL...on the second side there was a badly stripped bold. I showed it to Tarek and headed into the shed where I keep a hoard of freshly plated replacement OE bolt. I popped off some comment about it being a $20 bolt and he put a $20 on the bench.
The rest of the time was spent going up the canyon and eating $54 in steaks.

Oh, and stuff like this is so simple, so basic, that it's easily translated across platforms:

Old 07-04-2017, 06:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman

It's not hard. The biggest PITA if you're doing the rubber replacement is dealing with frozen bolts, dirt, etc. And then there is the judgment call if you want to replace the rubber grommets on the banana arms too.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-bushings.html
Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Doug was so quick it was ridiculous, if it wasn't for that first hiccup would have been done in 2-3 hours..we had a good time though..
Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
It's not hard. The biggest PITA if you're doing the rubber replacement is dealing with frozen bolts, dirt, etc. And then there is the judgment call if you want to replace the rubber grommets on the banana arms too.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-bushings.html
I've only done that job once. It was on Ed's Ruby. Was just a tub sitting on a couple pallets so I had all kinds of room....no engine or trans to work around. Not a job to do if the car is only up on jacks with engine and trans still in.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Tarek, remember how Helen was going on and on and on about me finishing her doll house Saturday? Well, I finished it Monday and she loves it. Now my sister wants one.

Rachel also wants me to show of pictures of our hike further up Ice House Canyon. Remember where you and I turned around?....her and I hiked another two miles. Insanity.
Attached Images        
Old 07-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by dougs968

The problem with being good is that once you start getting paid it turns from hobby to job and my real job requires no real labor while wrenching always does. It's a trap I don't want to fall into. Love it....but want to keep it that way.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:14 PM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Understandable, I don't blame you.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:10 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
I've only done that job once. It was on Ed's Ruby. Was just a tub sitting on a couple pallets so I had all kinds of room....no engine or trans to work around. Not a job to do if the car is only up on jacks with engine and trans still in.
I totally agree on the banana arms. I did mine when I replaced the clutch, as well as the rubber brake lines. Those were a PITA too.

And your kids are all growing up so fast, it's insane.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Doll house turned out great..wow, Helen has a cool Dad!!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I
Originally Posted by Tarek307
Doll house turned out great..wow, Helen has a cool Dad!!
No, Helen's dad is the luckiest dog on the street. I told you how we got Helen, but I didn't tell you what a privilege it is to have her in our lives. Her mother is likely in jail and her father is not even on the birth certificate. Two of her siblings are dead and one is living the life in Sacramento. On paper she was dumped on us by a meth addict when she was 13 months old.....but in reality she was a gift from God...no question. She lights up our world. Try not to do the math on when I had the vasectomy....apparently we were supposed to have another one.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 07-05-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Some pics from today 1977 911- Big Project Thanks Douggie Fresh aka AmberGramps..