Sponsored by:

Trail Braking article/video

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Plenty of drivers out there cornering "with excitement," "slapping the car." King Leh and Ayrton Senna, among them...

Having driven a ground effects 3-liter F1 car on track, they are responsive, for sure. Cars in Sir Jackie's day? Far less so. Cars today? Insane!

Great vid.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I also use this tool quite a bit and recommend it highly, especially when combined with automatically synced video in VBOX products and software, as well as MoTeC i2 Pro.

https://vboxmotorsport.co.uk/index.p...-gain-lap-time
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-11-2017, 03:47 PM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Agreed.

What if braking slightly earlier and with slightly less pressure would upset the car less, bring it to the desired balance (weight distribution) faster and allow for a higher speed (Vmin) through the turn? Is the consensus that a shorter (hence, later) 100% threshold brake stab is preferable to this in every situation, without exception?
Not sure if you got a chance to read my response, but it was deleted. If you (or anyone else) wanted to read it feel free to send me a private message.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
What if braking slightly earlier and with slightly less pressure would upset the car less, bring it to the desired balance (weight distribution) faster and allow for a higher speed (Vmin) through the turn? Is the consensus that a shorter (hence, later) 100% threshold brake stab is preferable to this in every situation, without exception?
Not my consensus
Hence the reason I mention it
Old 06-11-2017, 08:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Nothing Sir Jackie is in conflict to what peter or I said. its not the action of what we are referring too, it's how you do it. You can be smooth, highly aggressive, and standing on the nose at 100% threshold braking, and not "upset " the car. And the hands , depending on the car and set up, can be very calm.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Here are some educational and inspiring videos as an antidote to all of the theoretical talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXriGOrUwHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wukn_CgaU4A
let me contrast a little further, to my point in the last post.
same driver.... different car.

no paddle shifts and other aids.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1

1) What if braking slightly earlier and with slightly less pressure would upset the car less, bring it to the desired balance (weight distribution) faster

2) allow for a higher speed (Vmin) through the turn?
These are two different skill executions, unrelated (even though you link them in your hypothesis). You and do either/or or both.

A period of instability is usually provoked by not respecting the platform and asking it to do something it's not capable of doing or accepting, almost always upon initial application.

Nearly always, there is sufficient time and distance AFTER this period to decide how, when and in what relationship to the steering input you want to "pick a speed" and release the brakes.

Most club drivers drop speed from the turn-in to at least the apex, but usually it's because they've released the brake prematurely, the nose has come up and they're not yet at the point where they can go to throttle.

Any significant throttle app that is premature can aggravate this and the vMin trendline can tell you a great deal.

I used to think striving for higher vMin was on the important end of the equation, but the data has proven me wrong. Higher initial vMins are often a result of premature release (distance) and delay throttle app (time) because of where the car is in the corner. Either way, they're a lap-time killer if the vMin lasts too long!

Witness Dan's superb E record traces at Watkins Glen, in that thread. His vMins are high, but more importantly, he ends and begins almost immediately his decel and accel. The "v-shape" in a speed versus distance graph. Super clean and his Bus Stop and Toe are terrific...

Last edited by ProCoach; 06-11-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Deleted Post

Adam,

your post was deleted because you are advertising. In order to do so, you need to become a site sponsor. So, comments are fine, but references to your site and or books are not.

Best,
Old 06-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Adam,

your post was deleted because you are advertising. In order to do so, you need to become a site sponsor. So, comments are fine, but references to your site and or books are not.

Best,
I didn't watch the whole video he had posted, but did watch the beginning. I also found the video I believe he posted and I would not call either advertising. IMHO, the videos are informational and censoring them is a disservice to this thread.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I didn't watch the whole video he had posted, but did watch the beginning. I also found the video I believe he posted and I would not call either advertising. IMHO, the videos are informational and censoring them is a disservice to this thread.
+1

I've watched the entire video, and I saw no commercial content in it. It's educational, directly pertinent to this thread, and freely available on youtube.

Since I have no affiliation (just an appreciative fan of Adam's work), perhaps I can post it, and mods can watch it in its entirety before judging whether deleting is justified:

The telemetry data starting at 4:49 is very revealing. The deep trailbraking and tighter line during corner entry enables the car to pull ahead of the car on the alternate line without trailbraking, which never catches back up.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:03 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I used to think striving for higher vMin was on the important end of the equation, but the data has proven me wrong. Higher initial vMins are often a result of premature release (distance) and delay throttle app (time) because of where the car is in the corner. Either way, they're a lap-time killer if the vMin lasts too long!
Very interesting and not something one could tell very easily without data.

-Mike
Old 06-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36

-Mike
You can see the same thing in Adam's analysis. In the example below, Vmin is significantly higher for yellow, but sector time is significantly lower for white.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:39 AM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Adam,

Best,
I never mention my books or site and don't use any sort of signature with links. I just linked to our free video that further explains the point I was making so I don't have to write a book here on the message boards.

If people want to read my books great, but I'm not here to sell them. I'm here because a few different people invited me to post here and I stayed because there are a lot of great discussions and I like talking about this stuff. I can't believe I went so long without knowing about this board actually. I'll avoid posting any links in the future though if that is the issue.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TXE36

-Mike
THIS is the reason why there is SO much learning opportunity with access to the most SIMPLE information.

You can read all the books you want, listen to all the paddock chatter you want, watch all the video you want, but in the end, you need to KNOW what you're doing to know WHERE to go...

Data is not a tattle tale, it's not judgmental, it's just WHAT happened.

The single most striking thing to me in the last decade plus of really focusing on club/track day/DE drivers is how inaccurate they are in remembering what they've done. It's not a problem, it's just normal.

That's where folks should start, by examining in detail what they're doing NOW, formulating a prime and alternate strategy for a fundamental skill execution in ONE section of the track and MEASURING.

If you don't have data, just listen to the engine note in the video. If it stays the same for a "count" (one-thousand, two-thousand, three-thousand..." or heaven forbid FALLS during the entry and middle of the corner, you have an opportunity for improvement!

It's not easy, but there are plenty of tools that can help...
Old 06-12-2017, 09:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AdamBrouillard
I never mention my books or site and don't use any sort of signature with links.

If people want to read my books great, but I'm not here to sell them.

I'll avoid posting any links in the future though if that is the issue.
Adam, VR, Matt, Jerry, myself and many others pay a small monthly fee to Internet Brands, and then we don't have to worry about this. Reach out, they'll take your money!

And it is a great community. Welcome!

Quick Reply: Trail Braking article/video