Nurburgring - things to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:31 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 510 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Nurburgring - things to do?

Hey guys,

I'm going to the ring next month. Got my rent4ring appointment booked for late afternoon.

I will only spend a day there (need to visit 5 factories in a week). Is there anything else I can do while I am there? I understand there's a hotel/restaurant where all the race car drivers used to hang out? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

(1) The restaurant is called the Pistenklause and is in the Hotel am Tiergarten in Nürburg.Owned by Sabine Schmitz's family. Great place. Have the steak on a stone.

(2) There is not a whole lot to do at nigh but there are a few places to have a beer

(3) During the day you can watch the test cars from the manufacturers which use the track for most of the day.all kins of future cars.

(4) fun to go over to Manthey racing in the Industrial Park...some amazing cars there usually.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:35 PM
ekam
Drifting

Thanks Ronan! I won't be staying too late as I have to make my way back to hotel at Stuttgart and get ready for meeting the next morning in Ulm.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Nigel : As I recall the Pistenklause is only open for dinner, unfortunately.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

The huge rock festival ( Rock am Ring) has just been evacuated due to a terror threat.

Poor old Ring....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...or-threat.html
Old 06-02-2017, 09:08 PM
ekam
Drifting

Sad to hear. I have a friend who attends Oktoberfest regularly in Munich and he was warned not to go last year. They had the lowest attendance in the last 15 years if I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Generally it is a sleepy place win there are no events on, so you should be OK.
You will fid event dates on this website:

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en.html
Old 06-02-2017, 11:18 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Hey guys,

I'm going to the ring next month. Got my rent4ring appointment booked for late afternoon.
I have a rental booked in the fall. Which car did you book? Let me know what you think.

There are a few castles in the "area" you can check out. Burg Eltz and Reischburg are about an hour away and supposed to be worth seeing..
Old 06-03-2017, 12:46 AM
FifthGear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a stage IV BMW from Rent4Ring. The track was insane, no game really does it justice. Make sure TC is off for the carrousels, they're bumpier than they look and can really slow you down.

I would strongly suggest the extra insurance and taking an instructor, makes a huge difference in various kinds of risks and liabilities.

I wish I had been able to hang around more when I was there. It's cool to spot cars you know or meet people like Dale from BridgetoGrantry. When I go back I'll definitely do the GT3 RS Ring Taxi.

One thing's for sure, you'll both have a blast!
Old 06-03-2017, 08:37 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by skru_fase
I have a rental booked in the fall. Which car did you book? Let me know what you think.
If its your first time, just get the Swift. Track knowledge is exceedingly important there. So there is almost no way you can truly utilize the performance of any car first time out.

And it will probably rain at some point, which is part of the experience.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

It has rained also every time I have been there....but not all the time.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:03 PM
ekam
Drifting

Originally Posted by shotor
If its your first time, just get the Swift. Track knowledge is exceedingly important there. So there is almost no way you can truly utilize the performance of any car first time out.

+1.

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/

The FAQ sums it up nicely.

SHOULD I RENT THE FASTEST CAR I CAN AFFORD FOR MY FIRST VISIT?

Some first-time Nürburgring visitors might think that a 136hp Suzuki Swift is far too slow to have any fun on a race track. They're VERY wrong. The Swift is our most popular rental for very good reasons. It's both fast and fun to drive. Experienced 'Ringers and first-timers both love it.

And if that doesn't convince you, here are some more good reasons why you should start with a Suzuki Swift Stage 2 at the Nürburgring:

On your first 10 laps it doesn't matter if you have 100bhp or 1000bhp; you can only drive as fast as your track knowledge allows.
First-time Nürburgring visitors (of all skill levels, including pro racers) often have less fun in the fastest cars and will book the Swifts for their return visit!
Professional racers learning the track will normally take a Suzuki Swift for their first 20 to 30 laps, before stepping up to the bigger, faster cars. We're talking about international-level factory drivers who are racing LMP and GT cars.
If you're sensible, accept your own limitations and promise not to try and go too fast, then we might consider renting you a faster car for your first laps. But we'll always suggest the Swift first!

Unlike some other rental companies (with very high insurance excesses), it's not interesting for us to sell you a car that's too fast for you.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:31 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by shotor

I ended up with the Swift (although I looked at a lot of options). It should handle great, has a lot of safety gear and a low insurance cost/deductible. Easy decision. Plus it seems to get rave reviews. I am there for a track day, and have an instructor for the first hour so I should get comfortable with it/the track.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Te Swift ia a great starter

car. As you go up the range the decuctible gets smaller and smaller. RSR rented a car to a Dutch guy ( GT3RS) and he wrote it off Ended up with an EUR170K cheque and also had to pay for the Armco.

With the Swift you will fully experience the track and can try different cars at successive visits.

One thing to avoid: NEVER take a regular rental car on the track. They all have trackers and you will end up with a worldwide ban.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:49 AM
ekam
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ronan
RSR rented a car to a Dutch guy ( GT3RS) and he wrote it off Ended up with an EUR170K cheque and also had to pay for the Armco.
I think I read the ring rental insurance does not cover the armco repair, which the track charges you at 60eur/hr. Towing fees are not covered either.

That and I've been watching the ring crash compilation videos on YT...

Quick Reply: Nurburgring - things to do?