Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,275 Likes on 612 Posts

A GT3 is a GT3 and a touring 911Super Touring car is a 911 Super Touring car
Old 05-25-2017, 10:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Well,let me put it this way : is the 991R just a 991.1 GT3 RS without the wing? Some may agree,except for the manual gearbox : same engine,same roof,same optional PCCBs,same RWS(calibrated differently) etc. But Porsche tells us that the front carbon fiber fenders don't fit anywhere else,the rear panels are obviously different,there's much less downforce in the front and the back compensates with the diffuser for the missing wing,the car has less insulation and overall lighter etc.
Even the low cost GT4 shares so many parts with its GT3 older sister. And so on...
The point is : they all come from the same parts bin. How Porsche manages to differentiate them using their smart little touches...is all that counts. And an exact GT3,using the same moniker,except for the missing wing is a total dilution of what the GT3 stands for!

Just my 2 c FWIW...
Old 05-25-2017, 11:35 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
The only way I'll eat my humble pie is if this car will be advertised as a 991.2 GT3 TOURING PKG...so basically a GT3 without the wing. If too many parts are different and Porsche wants to differentiate it from the GT3 by not calling it so,while changing a bunch of things,then I won't eat humble pie. And let me tell you why : my cleaning lady told me a while back that there will be a 911 R substitute for the " poor ",but it won't be a wingless GT3,because Porsche does not want to dilute the GT3 brand. I have reported that a while back. We shall see... I guess anything's possible at this point under greedy VW...
Apple and rhubarb ok?

Old 05-26-2017, 08:09 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Perhaps they should have just brought out this recent GT car as a 911R.2 and provided a "wing option" and "PDK option" as highly prized and expensive extras...... Like the good old days, when an automatic and extra wing/flare bits cost extra...
Old 05-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
Perhaps they should have just brought out this recent GT car as a 911R.2 and provided a "wing option" and "PDK option" as highly prized and expensive extras...... Like the good old days, when an automatic and extra wing/flare bits cost extra...
They could name it the 'Orwell' Edition.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
They could name it the 'Orwell' Edition.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:30 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Even if there is a Touring Package, I will still build my GT3.2 (if I get one at MSRP!!!!) with the Wing intact. I now have an option to just add the wingless rear later on if I decided to be more discreet.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Well,let me put it this way : is the 991R just a 991.1 GT3 RS without the wing? Some may agree,except for the manual gearbox : same engine,same roof,same optional PCCBs,same RWS(calibrated differently) etc. But Porsche tells us that the front carbon fiber fenders don't fit anywhere else,the rear panels are obviously different,there's much less downforce in the front and the back compensates with the diffuser for the missing wing,the car has less insulation and overall lighter etc.
Even the low cost GT4 shares so many parts with its GT3 older sister. And so on...
The point is : they all come from the same parts bin. How Porsche manages to differentiate them using their smart little touches...is all that counts. And an exact GT3,using the same moniker,except for the missing wing is a total dilution of what the GT3 stands for!

Just my 2 c FWIW...
+1!!!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:03 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Just my 2 c FWIW...
The 1973 Carrera RS was available as an M 471 or M 472 Touring package (about 100 kg heavier) - both still called a Carrera RS. M 472 even included additional sound insulation and a spare tire!

As such a staunch traditionalists, shunning the modern PDK transmission I'm surprised you're not celebrating Porsche once again returning to their origins and adding yet another historic option available on the original RS?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:28 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
The 1973 Carrera RS was available as an M 471 or M 472 Touring package (about 100 kg heavier) - both still called a Carrera RS. M 472 even included additional sound insulation and a spare tire!

As such a staunch traditionalists, shunning the modern PDK transmission I'm surprised you're not celebrating Porsche once again returning to their origins and adding yet another historic option available on the original RS?
Calling myself a " traditionalist " would be a totally bombastic claim on my part. I'm not that superficial...
Look...it's not about what I want...it's about what's going to happen...
Taking a GT3,incapacitating it by giving it less downforce,more weight and less performance is not my idea of " the modern day Carrera RS ". Perhaps it's Porsche's...they're the " traditionalists " not me!
To top it all off,if the rumors turn out to be true and this " touring pkg " won't even have back seats,what's so " touring " about it?!
It's a lame VW greedy effort to squeeze more money and dilute a successful brand...IMO...
Old 05-26-2017, 04:46 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

what's so " touring " about it?!
Come to think of it, a winged GT3 would be more "touring" as it offers a convenient horizontal surface for enjoying impromptu rest-stop snacks on your tours.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:35 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Touring?

This so called 'Touring'; any real evidence yet?

Or is it still 'internet conjecture'?
Old 05-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Manx
This so called 'Touring'; any real evidence yet?

Or is it still 'internet conjecture'?
Have you done the time and read the 476 other posts in this thread that preceded your post?

Whether it'll be called 'GT3 Touring' who knows, but it's reasonable to conclude that something along those lines is coming.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:10 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Just my 2 c FWIW...
Personally I don't care what Porsche call the car, they could call it the 911 Touring Sport, the GTT, or the Fartmobile, I only care about getting the parts from the parts bin in a car with four seats (and ideally no wing) then letting me buy it.

I get that Porsche are balancing many factors when designing cars, the 911R was a brilliant advertisement for Porsche, multiple glowing reviews and Car of the Year awards, a blessing to those lucky enough to get them that adds an air of exclusivity to the brand which elevates its status. Limited cars like that will be out of reach to most and I'm OK with that, though sad to see the flipping that's gone on.

I'm also grateful that Porsche honour the unspoken promise that all the amazing stuff from their limited/exclusive models will filter down to us mere mortals, and with the GT3 that promise has been honoured in spades.

However for anyone thinking of upgrading in the near future to a car with four seats is faced with the 3.0 Turbo while the 4.0 Naturally Aspirated engine of the gods sits in the same factory mocking them as the hair dryer engine crushes their automotive soul, likewise all the other incredible parts that went into the RS, R & GT3 are denied them.

I've only just got my first 911, and I'm very happy with it, it's currently being paint corrected and ceramic pro'd before I drive {hoon} it across Europe at the end of next month, my rough intention is to hold onto it till September next year and then trade it for something else. My problem is what, because if I'm still restricted to 3.0 Turbo I might not stick with the 911.

Now I know I'm just one owner, but I don't think I'm alone, their is disquiet here and on the 991 forum, as well as in the automotive press, over the state of the 991.2 and that should at least be on Porsche's radar. So some of us await Porsche's next move, looking at the 992 mule with some concern and wonder if the 911 is going to become a two tier car, where despite the myriad choices you can never get what you want unless you're on a list.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

I too have heard from a pretty good source that the touring package is coming. And it is exactly that. A wingless gt3 with manual only. And some sort of funkily seat material.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option