Sponsored by:

Convince me I need a 997.2 6MT GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 04:45 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

"Still calling the GM just to let him know his sales associate was less than professional."

I'd suggest leaving it be. No use burning that bridge. Unlikely, but they might come up with "your" car. Chalk it up to a used car salesman being a stereotypical used car salesman.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:56 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
"Still calling the GM just to let him know his sales associate was less than professional."

I'd suggest leaving it be. No use burning that bridge. Unlikely, but they might come up with "your" car. Chalk it up to a used car salesman being a stereotypical used car salesman.

I shall take your advice sir! That was my ego typing, silly ego.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:13 PM
realq86
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
USNA12, I bought my 2011 997 GTS Coupe last September. Paid $73K for a Basalt Black MT LSD DCL Adaptive Heated Sport Seat Bose NAV PCM 3.0 XM Radio Non-Sport Chrono (no dash wart, but had dealer installed Sport Chrono software = SPORT button) with 11K miles and a CPO through Jan 2018.

The dealer-performed PPI ($500) was clean except for an non-OEM battery and showed less than 100 detonations in Range 1, zero in 2-5. A dealer installed backup camera was also included.

After the purchase, In advance of my trip, I had the entire car ceramic coated and wrapped the full front bumper, fenders, hood, rockers and muds of the car with XPel film for another $2.7K. Tint was another $275. The shop I used did an amazing job- their parking lot looked like a Porsche Parade of GT3RS and GT3's. I also installed a ZunSport front grill set to protect the radiators.

I drove it 8000 miles from Boston to LA via maritime Canada, northshore of the Great Lakes, the upper Midwest, Rockies and the entire PCH from Portland to Los Angeles. The entre trip, I had no issues, whatsoever. In San Francisco, I did have the, by now, chipped windshield replaced under CPO (seal was pinched in one corner) and upgraded the OEM Bridgestone's to Michelin PSS due to age, not mileage or wear.

This car is something special...Supremely comfortable, especially the Adaptive Sport seats, at any speed. Saw 150+ on a lonely North Dakota interstate and, thanks to WAZE, no speeding ticket(s). SAT radio and iPod interface, hands free bluetooth phone, those heated seats, etc., etc. made long drives a joy.

Yet pushing the SPORT button completely changes the "Grand Tourer's" character. Storming the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway (Wyoming 296) or carving the canyons of Malibu with the SPASM and PSE on was some of the most fun I have ever had- in any car. The stock suspension setup is so well balanced, the 408 hp NA engine is so tractable, and the PSE exhaust note above 6000 rpm sounds like Iron Man's head being cut off with a chain saw.

Three pedals, a tight gearbox with perfect ratios and the last iteration of hydraulic steering in a 911 is quite a combination. I know the PDK is faster, but I do not track this GTS, so rowing through the gears is a pleasure.

Keep looking for a GTS that matches your personal spec list- it is worth looking, and waiting, for. I spent over 6 months searching for a MT/LSD/non-Sport Chrono GTS Coupe, and I found it in Basalt Black, my first color choice.
Good luck with your quest.
I picked up my GTS in almost identical condition as yours and drove 1200 miles back from PHX to SFO. The drive was just fantastic, and the GTS was the perfect car except in LA traffic and pot hole roads. I could have enjoyed the trip a lot more if I wasn't constantly afraid of getting a flat on centerlock wheels.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:06 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,342 Likes on 609 Posts

A flat tire did cross my mind in long stretches of "No Service" on phone and little, if any, traffic in either direction. I checked with my insurance company about my towing reimbursement (need a flat bed with the CL wheels), and they said if it had to go to a dealer, they would reimburse. The flat fix in the frunk is worth a try- but will destroy an expensive tire if it does.

I see you are in Mountain View. I stored my GTS at Club Sportiva ($500/month) in Silicon Valley for 3 months waiting for the PCH to open south of Big Sur. As you know, it never did, and is now closed in 3 or 4 places- perhaps permanently 5 miles north of Ragged Point. I did enjoy Skyline Drive, above you, but it too was closed south of Alice's due to storm damage.

I would not own a MT if I commuted, or lived in LA-type traffic.
And I did develop an annoying rattle in the PCM driving on some California rain-damaged backroads.

The 997 GTS hits a cool sweet spot in being both a long distance tourer and a canyon carving tool-
with very few compromises in either role. Got a picture of your GTS to share?
Here is a shot just north of Jenner taken on my roadtrip in January:

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 05-13-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-14-2017, 12:56 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Twins, triplets.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:46 AM
USNA12
Banned

Well since you gentlemen want to make me more jealous than I already am...here is a picture of my ride! An extremely dirty CH-53E Super Stallion! I really want the GTS 408hp engine, but until then I will be ok with my 3x 4,500hp engines.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:49 AM
USNA12
Banned

I am flying right stick during this picture
Old 05-14-2017, 12:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12
I am flying right stick during this picture
Right side on a chopper is the pilot, correct? Left side is co-pilot? Different than fixed wing. Which squadron?
Old 05-14-2017, 11:13 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12

Well since you gentlemen want to make me more jealous than I already am...here is a picture of my ride! An extremely dirty CH-53E Super Stallion! I really want the GTS 408hp engine, but until then I will be ok with my 3x 4,500hp engines.
Stunning machine! The 997 should compliment your "company car" very well
Old 05-16-2017, 11:11 AM
exploserous
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if I can convince you whether or not you /need/ a GTS, but can maybe help you figure out if you do.

I just bought my relatively well-equipped Basalt Black GTS about a month ago and am pretty familiar with the current market. You could save some money and headache by going with a PDK, 4GTS, or cabrio (more readily available, some with CPO). Similarly, dropping down to a C4S or C2S would make your search significantly easier, and save you some money (I've seen nice examples of both under $60k).

If you're deadset on a manual GTS coupe, be ready to pay. I had several cars (both porsche and third party dealers) listed at ~70k (+/-2k) which sold before I could get PPI's scheduled.

If your budget maxes out at 70k, you're probably stuck with cars that are 30k or over and you're very unlikely to find a CPO. If I remember correctly, the last CPO manual GTS I saw about two months ago was listed for $86k and sold before they finished the CPO inspection.

TL;DR: Be ready to buy. If you're waffling about it the right car will sell before you can get things together.

Time is on your side, so I'd say be patient for the right GTS until you get back to the states. If you still haven't found one when you get back, then open the search to a nicely optioned C2S.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

That's good advice above.

USNA just to give you some perspective on the timeline for finding "the perfect 911" I searched just like you during a 6 month contract in Iraq for a very specific optioned 997S "Launch Edition" with PCCB etc (difficult to find only 300 were optioned like this) I found 1 car during that tour that was low miles and priced right, I lost it to another buyer. After the tour was up I returned home for 30 days of leave and then went back out for another contract this time Afghanistan. Halfway through that tour I found the unicorn in Chicago posted on Autotrader. The car had 10,038 miles, and was in mint condition, private seller was asking 53k. I called him from Bagram Air Base, talked about the car over several conversations, followed my gut and wired him $51,000 cash site unseen, no PPI (huge risk not recommended). A month later I returned to a gorgeous 997S. That was 8 years ago, today it has over 95,000 miles, drives like a dream and I still go in the garage just to look at it. Be very patient.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:31 PM
USNA12
Banned

So I started my quest looking for a C2S, then read more about the GTS and realized that they are not getting any younger, and the time to buy is now. Also, I have been searching for a Porsche since January and I have not found a C2S that fits my bill, close but not "The One". I have found the GTS, but someone already owns it and loves it, as they should. So my search shall continue, although halted whenever all comms are shut down due to operations.

I was just sent a picture of the rear end of "the" GTS. Torture I tell you, TORTURE. I guess this is what the married guys go through when they are deployed.

Side note, will PCNA extend a CPO if requested for a nominal fee...or can you sell and "re-purchase" your car from a dealer? How does that work? Trying to do some research and all I have found is bickering.

I have the money ready to go, USAA approved me ages ago and my credit score is damn near perfect. Just waiting on this ship, hoping.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:34 PM
exploserous
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard stories of folks with friends at dealers having them purchase a car, CPO it, and reselling the car as a certified car, but it seems pretty tricky to orchestrate. The difference in cost might not make it worth it, considering that these later 997's are pretty reliable as long as you do your due diligence (which it looks like you're doing).

FWIW, I found my car by messaging a guy on these here forums when he mentioned he was thinking about selling it. Your car is here somewhere, just need to find it.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:19 AM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by exploserous
I've heard stories of folks with friends at dealers having them purchase a car, CPO it, and reselling the car as a certified car, but it seems pretty tricky to orchestrate. The difference in cost might not make it worth it, considering that these later 997's are pretty reliable as long as you do your due diligence (which it looks like you're doing).

FWIW, I found my car by messaging a guy on these here forums when he mentioned he was thinking about selling it. Your car is here somewhere, just need to find it.

Oh I know, it is out here somewhere! Just being patient now
Old 05-30-2017, 01:54 PM
USNA12
Banned

Maybe I should change this thread to..."Convince me I don't need a 997.2 6MT turbo"...

Quick Reply: Convince me I need a 997.2 6MT GTS