Sponsored by:

Convince me I need a 997.2 6MT GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:38 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
USNA - there is a nice 2009 C4S 6speed for sale with only 30,000 miles asking 57k - if I were in the market i'd be on the phone with the seller right now and try to negotiate down to about 53-54k https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...iation-62.html
That is likely a great car, and very realistic price. Private party 997.2 C2 and C4's are going for mid 40's. 10K is usually the spread between the base and S. The GTS is sweet, but the powerkit isn't going to do much for overall power, and if you can get a C4S equipped with all of the goodies (PSE, SC), then why not?
Old 05-12-2017, 10:58 AM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Sales Associate, not manager, that i have been dealing with told me that he has been working in Porsche Sales for over 10 years. Makes that hard to believe when he said at 78k the GTS is only "a little bit more" than what one would pay for a 997.2 C2S.

Man is crazy. Beautiful car. Intriguing options, not worth over paying for.

What is wrong with me...I just wanted a reasonable loew mileage 6MT 997.2 C2S before I started reading about the GTS!!!
Old 05-12-2017, 11:05 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Nothing is wrong with you. You're like many of us, a little more hp, a better value, a little more exclusivity,... makes us happier (foolishly). Frankly, unless you gotta have those wider hips and RWD, a C2S is fine.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:19 AM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12
Sales Associate, not manager, that i have been dealing with told me that he has been working in Porsche Sales for over 10 years. Makes that hard to believe when he said at 78k the GTS is only "a little bit more" than what one would pay for a 997.2 C2S.

What is wrong with me...I just wanted a reasonable loew mileage 6MT 997.2 C2S before I started reading about the GTS!!!
Ask him if he has internet access. It's way more than an equivalent C2S.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:23 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jdgamble
Ask him if he has internet access. It's way more than an equivalent C2S.
First, the guy is a salesman. He'll say anything to make the sale.

Second, $15k or $20k IS just a little bit of money to a Porsche salesman.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you related to the salesman? If no, he is lying to you. That is what they do.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

That GTS is way overpriced, and it's also priced close to $30,000 more than a nice 997.2 C2S 6 speed - walk.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:02 PM
USNA12
Banned

Gave me the "well we have someone else interested we will contact you if the sale falls through" line. Contacting the Sales Manager directly and apologized if doing my due diligence by researching the car aggravated him.

Oh well. Anyone know of a Basalt(or regular) Black/Black low mileage 997.2 6MT Coupe C2S/C4S/GTS with PDLS/SC/XM/BT/Adaptive Sports Seats for sale?
Old 05-12-2017, 01:11 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

I assume you've used the Porsche 911 Locator in your search. http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/search/search.ipl?cid=1

Rusnak Porsche in So CA has a red one, $75k. I bought my GTS from them. They will negotiate.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:31 PM
MrTim
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I feel your car search pain.
2. It does take some joy out of the process if you feel like they broke it off in you when you bought it.
3. It should be ok to be frugal, 5-10k more is insanity.
4. Car sales people rightfully deserve their reputation, period, as expressed by others.
5. it is insulting for someone to just say go buy new, frankly most probably can, and yes, maybe it would be tight financially, or maybe they just might want to do other things with their money.
6. My wife has been a champ, and she has very little free time. She thinks the search is making me bi-polar though as the cars seems great in conversation and email and then when seen in person... oof what a dog, even for big money.
7. Nice to see on person did not slam the Aston Martin in their post which was early on in this thread.
8. I too am after a 911 because of the ability to seat four, though diminutive at best.
9. The price to value prop though is leaving something to be desired based on the condition of what I'm finding. Frankly the California is looking to be a equal choice which is very surprising. Down side being automatic trans and the exotic license to charge for service. I ain't wealthy enough to be dropping $5-10k in maintenance every year and not notice it.
10. I guess i deserve whatever comments are thrown at me, but I frankly I don't mind.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:59 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Gave me the "well we have someone else interested we will contact you if the sale falls through" line. Contacting the Sales Manager directly and apologized if doing my due diligence by researching the car aggravated him.

Oh well. Anyone know of a Basalt(or regular) Black/Black low mileage 997.2 6MT Coupe C2S/C4S/GTS with PDLS/SC/XM/BT/Adaptive Sports Seats for sale?
Sounds like my car, 09 C2S, bought it last year from Porsche of San Antonio dealer, 1 year left on the CPO. Great car, Basalt Black , Alcantara seats, GT3 shift **** (manual), factory short shift with Function First upgrade, Alpine INE -W 957 Head Unit with back up camera (professionally installed). Beautiful car, bought it with 23K now has 33K. Just put in a new clutch and new brakes, 30K maintenance, and have a set of Pirelli Sottozero Snow Tires and Weather Teach Cover. Everything is negotiable, want to talk off line? E-Mail me at psa955@hotmail.com.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I would definitely pass on the car for the following reasons:
1. It's clearly been tracked and by the looks of the overevs the PO wasn't very careful with his/her shifting.
2. A range 5 for me would be an immediate deal killer, why buy a car that likely will have engine issues
3. The car is being sold at a premium but it is not a premium example

Let someone else have it, another GTS will come along eventually. Just make sure you have the $$$ ready to go so you can move quick.

Good luck and thank you for your service.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:10 AM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a car from these clowns. They're just playing games with you. You'll find your car. Have you looked on autotrader? There's a few that are close to or match your requirements.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,342 Likes on 609 Posts

USNA12, I bought my 2011 997 GTS Coupe last September. Paid $73K for a Basalt Black MT LSD DCL Adaptive Heated Sport Seat Bose NAV PCM 3.0 XM Radio Non-Sport Chrono (no dash wart, but had dealer installed Sport Chrono software = SPORT button) with 11K miles and a CPO through Jan 2018.

The dealer-performed PPI ($500) was clean except for an non-OEM battery and showed less than 100 detonations in Range 1, zero in 2-5. A dealer installed backup camera was also included.

After the purchase, In advance of my trip, I had the entire car ceramic coated and wrapped the full front bumper, fenders, hood, rockers and muds of the car with XPel film for another $2.7K. Tint was another $275. The shop I used did an amazing job- their parking lot looked like a Porsche Parade of GT3RS and GT3's. I also installed a ZunSport front grill set to protect the radiators.

I drove it 8000 miles from Boston to LA via maritime Canada, northshore of the Great Lakes, the upper Midwest, Rockies and the entire PCH from Portland to Los Angeles. The entre trip, I had no issues, whatsoever. In San Francisco, I did have the, by now, chipped windshield replaced under CPO (seal was pinched in one corner) and upgraded the OEM Bridgestone's to Michelin PSS due to age, not mileage or wear.

This car is something special...Supremely comfortable, especially the Adaptive Sport seats, at any speed. Saw 150+ on a lonely North Dakota interstate and, thanks to WAZE, no speeding ticket(s). SAT radio and iPod interface, hands free bluetooth phone, those heated seats, etc., etc. made long drives a joy.

Yet pushing the SPORT button completely changes the "Grand Tourer's" character. Storming the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway (Wyoming 296) or carving the canyons of Malibu with the SPASM and PSE on was some of the most fun I have ever had- in any car. The stock suspension setup is so well balanced, the 408 hp NA engine is so tractable, and the PSE exhaust note above 6000 rpm sounds like Iron Man's head being cut off with a chain saw.

Three pedals, a tight gearbox with perfect ratios and the last iteration of hydraulic steering in a 911 is quite a combination. I know the PDK is faster, but I do not track this GTS, so rowing through the gears is a pleasure.

Keep looking for a GTS that matches your personal spec list- it is worth looking, and waiting, for. I spent over 6 months searching for a MT/LSD/non-Sport Chrono GTS Coupe, and I found it in Basalt Black, my first color choice.
Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 05-13-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-13-2017, 11:18 AM
USNA12
Banned

Walking. Not worth it. Patience will help.

Still calling the GM just to let him know his sales associate was less than professional.

Thank you all for the help. I will keep you updated on my future searches. Also my internet is garbage on the ship I am currently on, so my searches are limited to PCA, Rennlist, and autotrader if I am lucky enough to get on when not too many people are online. The Porsche locator does not work for me. So if anyone sees a low mileage Basalt Black on Black 6MT 997.2 GTS with PDLS/LSD/SPASM/Adaptive Sport Seats/XM and Bluetooh let me know!

Or if anyone of you want to sell/know someone who would maybe part ways...I'll be here!

Quick Reply: Convince me I need a 997.2 6MT GTS