Sponsored by:

My '09 C2S Weighs........ ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 07:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Yes they have and I thankfully am one of them irrespective of adias's baseless opinion. I wasn't going to respond to his post but changed my mind after seeing yours. Car had the Porsche roll bar, Porsche "elephant ear" race seats and Schroth 6-point harness. Personal safety equipment included Bell M-4 helmet and HANS Sport II head and neck restraint. There is little doubt I would be dead or paralyzed without the HANS but then again I wouldn't have been on track without it.

From the moment I lost the rear I remember recognizing it was gone and that it was going to be bad and then wham! Corner worker said that after impact the car "flew" back across the track and came to rest about 15' off the other side. Thankfully no one was immediately behind me. The impact was just slightly to the right of completely head on. The wall is approximately 15' of (wet that day) grass from the edge of the track.

Airbags deployed (I have a Durametric Pro but I hadn't disabled them). I'm 6'2" so the seat was far enough back that with my harness tightly fastened the deployed airbag didn't contact me. I was in shock but didn't know it. I had pain in my upper right chest area where my HANS had sort of dug in but that was all. I undid my belts and waited for the corner worker to signal I could get out of the car. He red flagged the session and I was getting out when the medical crew arrived and asked if I was ok. I said "I think so but she's going to kill me". They laughed and asked if I wanted to go to the ER and I said no. I walked back to the pits which was AMAZINGLY stupid but I was in a state of shock and wasn't aware. It would have been better if they or the organizer had insisted I get in the ambulance but in the end we are all responsible for our own safety at these events and I don't fault anyone but myself.

My wife arrived 90 minutes later and insisted on a trip to the ER. It was a Saturday and the ER was jammed. X-rays were negative and they ordered a CT scan. After 4 hours of waiting for it though I said f-this and went home. Five days later I had a persistent low level headache and nausea so I went to my local ER and had the scan done. Results didn't show any damage and diagnosis was post concussion syndrome which should go away in a day or two, come back if it doesn't. It did, I was fine and 10 days later I was back at a different track in a C2S a little wiser and eternally grateful that Porsche builds cars the way they do. Heavy though they may be, lol.
I am very happy you survived the crash and yes Porsches and track safety devices are great. They did their job perfectly. My argument is that you did not crash at 90MPH. You had a bad crash and suffered a large deceleration, but I maintain - your body deceleration vector was not due to a point of crash at 90MPH; brakes, car rotation and perhaps some other cushioning elements outside the car lowered the impact velocity in your direction of impact enough. A 90MPH direct crash creates a deceleration approaching 100g and no crash zone protects from that. You probably crashed at 50MPH (or lower), and that is a lot. Even at 50MPH it has been shown that cerebral matter is severely damaged - fortunately not your case.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
I am very happy you survived the crash and yes Porsches and track safety devices are great. They did their job perfectly. My argument is that you did not crash at 90MPH. You had a bad crash and suffered a large deceleration, but I maintain - your body deceleration vector was not due to a point of crash at 90MPH; brakes, car rotation and perhaps some other cushioning elements outside the car lowered the impact velocity in your direction of impact enough. A 90MPH direct crash creates a deceleration approaching 100g and no crash zone protects from that. You probably crashed at 50MPH (or lower), and that is a lot. Even at 50MPH it has been shown that cerebral matter is severely damaged - fortunately not your case.
i don't see why it's hard for you to grasp that his car impacted the barrier at 90mph.

His negative acceleration at the point of impact might be up for debate, on the variable of time. But that would be a factor of all of the various deformation materials in the car and surrounding impact environment.

so basically still don't get your argument that he didn't impact at 90mph because your reasoning is a 90mph crash with a set acceleration rate would = death. The acceleration rate is variable based on so many incalculable variables. Due to the acceleration rate being variable and not set, assuming and measuring these variances only in impact velocity as you are doing doesn't make much sense to me, because you haven't even stated your implied constant for negative acceleration. Unless you mean it to be based on zero point zero seconds from 90mph to 0 mph.

hence, no point to disagree on speed at impact.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/carcr2.html

The 911 crumpling zone is not 10ft, but as a generous scenario examples let's consider that it is 10ft. A crash at 90MPH generates this force:

... a whopping 6,000 lb force on the driver...
Old 05-10-2017, 10:32 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want to try and say this as nicely as possible but I don't care a lick about your opinion or argument about my crash and have no interest in discussing it with you at all. You are 100% entitled to your opinion so let's leave it at that. Have a great evening.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/carcr2.html

The 911 crumpling zone is not 10ft, but as a generous scenario examples let's consider that it is 10ft. A crash at 90MPH generates this force:

... a whopping 6,000 lb force on the driver...
6000 lbs, over time, spread out over enough surface area on the person, is easily survivable.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:03 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

To be fair he said the car flung across the track after the 1st impact... so that means not all of the energy was absorbed by the 1st impact like it would be in this tree example.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:36 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you ever gone off track? Grass is slicker than ice and he said it was wet that day. I doubt with the brakes fully engaged he scrubbed off any speed.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:31 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I want to try and say this as nicely as possible but I don't care a lick about your opinion or argument about my crash and have no interest in discussing it with you at all. You are 100% entitled to your opinion so let's leave it at that. Have a great evening.
I agree! We both stand on our opinions. Cheers!
Old 05-11-2017, 01:32 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jkw911
Have you ever gone off track? Grass is slicker than ice and he said it was wet that day. I doubt with the brakes fully engaged he scrubbed off any speed.
I knew someone who crashed a GT at a speed far lower than 90MPH on wet grass and did not survive.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:38 AM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You are entitled to think whatever you like. Data acquisition systems don't rely on opinion.

Why not just post the telemetry and put it to rest?

And I'm sure we'd all enjoy seeing the telemetry data for a crash, anyway.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:26 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Seems like a reasonable place to post this. I found this info on 6 speed after reviewing a few week ago. I haven't don't any of these...

Items to remove for weight reduction

-45 lbs - Muffler delete

-19 lbs - naked trunk

-8 lbs - OZ wheels over lobster forks

-9 lbs - No washer fluid

-20 lbs - remove stock rear deck lid add new carbon wing

-90 lbs - remove stock seats add one evo drivers side

- 65 lbs - remove all interior carpet and foam, back seats and subwoofer

- 25 lbs - replace stock battery with light weight braille battery

- 8 lbs - remove street seat belts

- 19 lbs - LWFW and Sachs Pressure PLate

-10 lbs - cup car front bumper - no reinforcement

-15 lbs - removed glove box and passenger side airbag

-20 lbs - remove rear bumper reinforcement and heat shield

-40 lbs - sunroof delete

- 7 lbs - radio delete
Old 05-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

With those mods we would be around 28-2900 lbs would be interesting
Old 05-11-2017, 02:51 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
Seems like a reasonable place to post this. I found this info on 6 speed after reviewing a few week ago.

Items to remove for weight reduction

-9 lbs - No washer fluid
That can't be right. Can it?

Oh and Bruce, next time maybe try weighing it without the 4 rogue M&Ms. Just what kind of ship are you running there, man?!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:03 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Not sure on how valid those numbers are.. they all see reasonable besides maybe the washer fluid?

In either case some massive reduction but obviously for a full on track car.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by jsalah
That can't be right. Can it?

Oh and Bruce, next time maybe try weighing it without the 4 rogue M&Ms. Just what kind of ship are you running there, man?!
I was a bit flip about these M&Ms..... I use them as an alternative to corner weighting the car. I find they work well tuning the car for whatever neighborhood you are cruising. They are so valuable, they have "become one" with the car.... they even turn almost puddle-like as they adhere in a symbiotic relationship with the car. Comes in peanut too.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: My '09 C2S Weighs........ ???