Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne S the worst car ever!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:36 AM
zboot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, some real winners here.

I wouldn't say its the worst car ever. I just picked up a 08 GTS. Didn't have a PPI, just did my own personal inspection. I had some idea of issues, though didn't learn of the 957 own brand of coolant fitting issues till after purchase. I got an incredible deal on price (about $5k below typical private party) and part of doing that was building in a buffer to spend on issues that will crop up after purchase but hopefully selected one where that spending is spread out over several years so that I can feel I got a deal even five years from now.

Right now, I'm chasing (or rather, a couple mechanics whom if they don't figure things out, will lose me as a customer almost as quickly as they got me) a couple post-cat O2 sensor trouble codes. I had them do a pPI (post purchase inspection) and they cleared the car of other issues aside from the codes, cheapo tires that came with the car, and needing to replace the spark plugs.

My frustration is that I've typically worked on cars myself but decided to give a friend's (who has an 04 CTT and highly recommended these guys due to the work they've done on her car) mechanic a try but at the moment, they're not inspiring confidence in me. I'm not quite worried about it becoming a money pit. . . but if it does, I'll just follow your route and sell it (though as-is, i'm not as nice as you). I'm a bit concerned about the glue on the coolant fitting giving out, but now I want to wait to see if they impress me before I decide between handling it myself or asking them to take care of it. Heck, now I wonder if they even know about the issue.

I feel your pain though. I tend to buy cars that need work (this is actually the second ever car I've bought not expecting to spend at least the amount I paid for the car to get things in good shape) and even then, it always hurts when you discover costly issues that you didn't anticipate.

I'd ignore these geniuses who are shocked, shocked that you'd buy a car without subjecting it and the previous owner's to background checks, strip searches, and **** probing just to be safe. Funny how they seem to be enthusiasts, but don't "get it".

Last edited by zboot; 05-05-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:18 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

zboot, I might have some great advice for you in solving those problems, but you have not motivated me to spend my time to help you with that attitude.

You two can fight conventional wisdom all you want. Being confrontational to the existing owner-enthusiast base is not going to bode well when you need help or advice down the road.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Boxzilla
Track Day

Wow ... tough crowd (and perhaps a bit uninviting to a new member) Has anyone here ever misplaced their keys and complained out loud about it? Not that they would expect anyone to ridicule them for having lost them but just to air out some frustration. He acknowledges how he loves his new Cayenne when not in the garage so I believe like many of us he appreciates the Porsche driving experience. So we all can share some comradery.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:47 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

It's only going to get worse as more of these vehicles hit the used market.

Let's be honest, these are not in the same class as garden-variety minivans and SUVs. They're fantastically over-priced to start with. Arguably that's "worth something" otherwise they wouldn't be selling in record numbers.

But given vehicle depreciation realities there's going to be a lot of 2nd or 3rd owners coming into the fold, perhaps without a real understanding of what kind of costs these vehicles may entail.

Should they cost so much to fix? Should they need such expensive repairs? Well, should isn't the question... they will. You very likely will spend a lot more to fix/maintain these than quite a lot of other vehicles on the road. There's always going to be edge cases either way, some will be money pits, some will be unicorns of amazing self-maintenance. But it's fair to say most of them will incur repair expenses that would stagger the comprehension of most people. Know this going in.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:27 PM
zboot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nodoors
zboot, I might have some great advice for you in solving those problems, but you have not motivated me to spend my time to help you with that attitude.

You two can fight conventional wisdom all you want. Being confrontational to the existing owner-enthusiast base is not going to bode well when you need help or advice down the road.
I already know how to solve my problems:

1. O2 sensors - replace sensors, replace cats, spark plug anti fouler trick, etc - convince me you have some trick that has never been mentioned in any forum with "renn" in the name, and maybe I'll be demure.
2. Crappy tires - buy new tires.
3. Spark plugs - replace spark plugs.
4. Bad mechanic - replace mechanic and/or do my own work. . . .like I already do on every other car I own. I think you misunderstand me. I'm using the mechanics because of the time savings (I've got other cars to work on myself, projects at home, etc) and warranty that comes with having them do the work, not because I can't do it on my own. There's a cost/benefit tradeoff here. The frustration is that at the current pace - I could have done the work myself and these guys are not performing yet at the level that reviews and recommendations from other customers would seem to suggest.
5. Entitled forum members - give them crap for their behavior

So, thanks for the backhanded offer for help, but no thanks. Don't need it from you. If I need advice or help down the road. . . I will get it. Asking here or any of the other few car forums. Or you know, do something like search the forums. After all, I have a 2008 vehicle. Which means geniuses like you have already posted solutions to almost any problem I'd encounter - assuming that I couldn't figure it out on my own. I find it hilarious that you think you possess some knowledge of these cars completely unavailable anywhere else. Or that I'd be sad or hurt if I ran into an issue that I decided wasn't worth fixing because nobody would tell me how because they don't like me and sold the car for something else.

So, if you're insulted that someone had the gall to complain about a car and are going to grab your ball and not play with others - have fun by yourself. I'll be here, helping out, giving that advice down the road you seem to think will dry up.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:32 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Overpriced for sure but what contributes to the high MSRP are the ridiculously overpriced options.

From the posts it seems that most of the issues are with the base vehicle systems, not the options.

Those attracted by a $100K luxury truck which can be purchased for an 85-90% discount soon find out what a bargain its not.

Based on my previous experience with the 04S, today to acquire another it would have to be free.

Last edited by v10rick; 05-05-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:52 PM
zboot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by v10rick
Overpriced for sure but what contributes to the high MSRP are the ridiculously overpriced options.

From the posts it seems that most of the issues are with the base vehicle systems, not the options.

Those attracted by a $100K luxury truck which can be purchased for an 85-90% discount soon find out what a bargain its not.
For what I paid for my 08 GTS, even if I end up spending an additional 50% of purchase to deal issues, it's still a better value than almost anything in the vehicle class (mid size SUV) with that cost (1.5x what I paid) currently brand new, based on the requirements I had when deciding what I wanted for the vehicle the GTS replaced.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:53 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
Yeah, that's my point. I have a feeling that the entire supply chain isn't really ready for the onslaught of used vehicle owners expecting that kind of deal. I don't know that there's a fix, or an explanation, and I'm certainly not justifying anything on any fronts.

It's like any familiar environment. Those in it already know what's going on. Like it or not. Those new to it, having jumped in with entirely different expectations, are "shocked" to find they're met with contrary or even unwelcoming perspective.

Yeah, we get it. But then this is not www.coddleyoursorrysnowflakeass.com. Get a helmet, buck up, and learn something. The cranky old bastards here often have sage advice... For free even.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:04 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zboot
I already know how to solve my problems:

1. O2 sensors - replace sensors, replace cats, spark plug anti fouler trick, etc - convince me you have some trick that has never been mentioned in any forum with "renn" in the name, and maybe I'll be demure.
2. Crappy tires - buy new tires.
3. Spark plugs - replace spark plugs.
4. Bad mechanic - replace mechanic and/or do my own work. . . .like I already do on every other car I own. I think you misunderstand me. I'm using the mechanics because of the time savings (I've got other cars to work on myself, projects at home, etc) and warranty that comes with having them do the work, not because I can't do it on my own. There's a cost/benefit tradeoff here. The frustration is that at the current pace - I could have done the work myself and these guys are not performing yet at the level that reviews and recommendations from other customers would seem to suggest.
5. Entitled forum members - give them crap for their behavior

So, thanks for the backhanded offer for help, but no thanks. Don't need it from you. If I need advice or help down the road. . . I will get it. Asking here or any of the other few car forums. Or you know, do something like search the forums. After all, I have a 2008 vehicle. Which means geniuses like you have already posted solutions to almost any problem I'd encounter - assuming that I couldn't figure it out on my own. I find it hilarious that you think you possess some knowledge of these cars completely unavailable anywhere else. Or that I'd be sad or hurt if I ran into an issue that I decided wasn't worth fixing because nobody would tell me how because they don't like me and sold the car for something else.

So, if you're insulted that someone had the gall to complain about a car and are going to grab your ball and not play with others - have fun by yourself. I'll be here, helping out, giving that advice down the road you seem to think will dry up.
Yes, there is another permanent and much more cost effective solution. With that attitude I will let you chase your tail and spend way more of your time and money on those other fixes. I recommend you take a chill pill before you make so many assumptions or put so many words in someone else's mouth. I don't see any entitled members on this thread - just a couple of Pcar noobs who are taking out their frustration on the wrong people.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:14 PM
zboot
Intermediate

Yes, there is another permanent and much more cost effective solution. With that attitude I will let you chase your tail and spend way more of your time and money on those other fixes. I recommend you take a chill pill before you make so many assumptions or put so many words in someone else's mouth. I don't see any entitled members on this thread - just a couple of Pcar noobs who are taking out their frustration on the wrong people.
Haha. I love the projection here. My only frustration, which I've mentioned - is the time not having my car. And that one is being taken out on nobody. I don't like the attitude here, so I'm speaking up. I suggest trying your pill first before foisting it off on others.

As for permanent solution - the spark plug anti fouler is a $10 permanent solution. I very much doubt you have anything cheaper. But, yes, after buying a Cayenne, I'm going to cry over 10 more dollars fixing a problem.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:08 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

A tool I often find of use:

Old 05-05-2017, 02:17 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I am projecting nothing. I hate to break it to you, but no one cares about your feelings on a message board about cars.

That may or may not work to stop throwing the catalyst inefficiency code. Good luck to you if your local government performs visual checks with a mirror at your emissions testing stations and the baboon actually uses it! ;-)
Old 05-05-2017, 02:20 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Good call, Don. Done.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:30 PM
zboot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deilenberger
A tool I often find of use:
Nice! I'll have to try it out.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 PM
zboot
Intermediate

I am projecting nothing. I hate to break it to you, but no one cares about your feelings on a message board about cars.

That may or may not work to stop throwing the catalyst inefficiency code. Good luck to you if your local government performs visual checks with a mirror at your emissions testing stations and the baboon actually uses it! ;-)
Ok. Now you've clearly exposed yourself as not being of any use where it comes to this matter on a Cayenne. Aside from the fact that there's no mirror in the world that would let you see the post-cat O2 sensors on a cayenne, spacing the sensors out isn't something that would fail a visual check. I'm really glad I'm not on the receiving end of your advice.

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne S the worst car ever!!