Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

cv axle mayhem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 01:55 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cv axle mayhem

Ok I had this issue a while ago I thought it was resolved but apparently not. One day while accelerating in 1st, when my turbo kicked in the cage in my cv axle broke. I was expecting this sooner or later I had shutter on acceleration that was symptomatic of a cv going out. ok so went to local parts store got there cardone axle. put it in. drove a few miles, took right hand turn and pop, axle came apart. it didn't break, but it either just extended or contracted past the limits and pulled apart. I changed it in the dark and the rain and when I did, some of the ball bearings were still stuck in the output shaft cup and I put new axle in with these extra bearings in there. the more the better right haha. anyway I don't know if those ball bearings interefered with the cv axle and caused it to push apart, or if it was unrelated.

got new axle from napa. different sticker but obviously same manufacturer. put it in, and cant remember how much driving I did, but as I took left hand turn and accelerated, pop!! So called the tow truck, got car home. no real damage to axle, some of the bearing races were distorted a little where it pulled apart.

At this point I decided to fill my tranny mount with urethane. Also regreased my good original cv axle, and reassembled the cardone axle, and swapped them to different sides.

months later, and some intermittent driving, maybe about 50 miles worth, and I'm on way to car wash and pop. not really a pop, just accelerating and then nothing. called tow truck driver again, "yeah the guy with the Porsche", got car in garage and same thing, same cardone axle, it pulled apart.

So

Could it just be crappy tolerances on cardone axle? its always the new one that fails. even on different sides, if I was getting lots of flex from bad engine mounts, etc, wouldn't the other axle have popped when I swapped them? and could I be getting that much flex with a semi solid tranny mount?

I remember looking at my passenger mount when doing headers, it didn't look bad.

And I think its the same end of the axle that pulls apart, its been a while since it first happened but I'm pretty sure.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:37 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The cardone ones are junk. I had oem ones that were going bad so I replaced them with cardone ones. The ***** smashed the end of the races and broke within 2 months. So I put my old oems back on and been waiting for them to snap fir a year now. I'll be getting LRs beefy ones next. Expensive but worth it.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:20 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

I wasn't even driving it hard, maybe hit 3psi and it came apart. tires weren't spinning or anything.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:51 AM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently there are some vw axles that are dimensionally the same, but the angle that they are designed to work at is different, hence they come apart in the 944. The ones your getting may be those since your getting them from your local parts store. GKN makes a good axle but it is pricey, make sure you get the turbo ones as the slpine count on the shaft itself is different than the NA
Old 04-08-2017, 09:55 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968workaholic
Apparently there are some vw axles that are dimensionally the same, but the angle that they are designed to work at is different, hence they come apart in the 944. The ones your getting may be those since your getting them from your local parts store. GKN makes a good axle but it is pricey, make sure you get the turbo ones as the slpine count on the shaft itself is different than the NA
I just ordered a good used one off eBay. Yeah I read that about the vanagon axles and that's a good possibility what's happening, the ***** walk out of the cage cage because of the angle.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:35 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

The Cardone ones are "remanufactured" originals or aftermarket versions.
Cardone doesn't make axles.

My understanding is they slightly grind out the grooves and fit oversized *****.
I'm sure its possible to get a "bad one" but in general I think they are OK.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:12 PM
bwp951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with OEM/GKN, well worth the $220 price.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:20 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Well since I'm waiting for a replacement axle to show up, I figured I'd drop my tranny to clean it up and put new output shaft seals in it. 0 to tranny out in 2 hours.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:08 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

While the transmission is out put Only944's short shift kit in, you will love it.

http://only944.com/partscatalog/only/shortshifter/
http://only944.com/partscatalog/only/shiftlinkagearm/
Old 04-09-2017, 08:04 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

were are those heat extractors on the hood from?
Old 04-09-2017, 01:22 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adonay
were are those heat extractors on the hood from?
I have another thread for hood lovers scroll down.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:22 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Got my new used cv axle installed. Got a used axle with loebros off eBay. It had New boots on it, one of the CVS was put together wrong. Put it together right greased up and it's working great so far. The cv cages in the loebro do look beefier than the cardone axle. It also doesn't pull apart fall apart if its overextended.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:47 AM
red44T
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went the cardone route and broke both axles in less than 5 miles of use. Got some new used oem axles and haven't had a problem. I will never cardone again.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:16 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently ordered GKN's to replace mine. The old one were working ok but had noticeable play in them and it's a track car on Hoosiers so I figured it was time.
Upon receiving the new ones (Pelican) they were two different parts, one 3mm bigger diameter than the other. With the same part number!
The nice thing about dealing with Pelican - a simple phone call and they were replaced next day, the replacements being both the same as the bigger one from the first shipment, even though they all had part numbers on them that indicate they are for this car.
Lesson learned, there are several flavors of "correct" half shafts out there, pay attention to what you get.

Quick Reply: cv axle mayhem