Sponsored by:

Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:33 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Is it me or are those tires to narrow for the front rims?
Some people like that stretched look.

At least until they have to corner sharply and chew up their rim due to no effective sidewall...
Old 04-06-2017, 02:54 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
The rest of the damage (that we can see in the pic) doesn't appear to support that though.

I just don't get this attitude unless you (proverbial) are buying as an investment (which a 996 is not). You certainly need to have it checked out to make sure it was repaired correctly, but if fixed correctly then it's all just in your mind.

Just from that pic I can see at least $10k, maybe $12k of work that needs to be done and that's just the superficial stuff you can see. That puts it easily in the 50% range for value so it's a no brainer that the insurance totaled.

Assuming it was all fixed properly (e.g. the rear quarter isn't now a giant wad of Bondo), how is the car impacted at all beyond just the price? So you get a decent deal and drive the hell out of it.

I just don't get people writing off perfectly good cars like that.

* I do reserve the right to be utterly wrong without penalty if more pictures surface showing additional damage. These views and guesstimates are entirely based on that one pic and I recognize it may not be the whole story.
Meh - it's the damage we can't see that will determine the value. If it was scrubbed wheel, they could have left it on for the tow. But - it appears damage enough that it wouldn't even go on the tow truck without a diff wheel.

As for my attitude, well - I hardly need to defend that. But - a 996 is kind of a bucket list, or at least a 'me want' kind of purchase. I'd be happy to drive a 1987 Dodge Omni that was salvage/rebuilt because - hey, who cares? Driving around in what most people consider a high end sports car with a branded title? Yeah, bug me. Not you - I'm ok with that.

Making assumptions on car body repairs is a good way to get hosed. I know a Ferrari F40 that was basically split in half, and was put back together and resold. Can it be done well? Sure. We're talking about a non-investment grade $20k car. Was someone going to spend $20-30k fixing it correctly? Meh
Old 04-06-2017, 03:26 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by docmirror
As for my attitude, well - I hardly need to defend that
Wasn't an attack. Just saying I don't get it and laid the reasons why.

I guess I've just spent too much time around body shops and dealing with insurance that I know how little it can take to total a car. It's not like the older (80s and earlier) cars where totaling typically implied a catastrophic impact where the driver may not have walked away. So it just bewilders me that totaled cars get written off so easily.

Making assumptions on car body repairs is a good way to get hosed.
Yeap which is why I clarified that my view was solely based on what we can see in that one pic. I've been around bodyshops too much and replaced almost all of the damaged parts shown on that pic, so my assumptions are actually based on practical experience in this case.

I could be way off if there is serious damage to one of the angles we can't see, but my gut says that's not the case based on what we see.

We're talking about a non-investment grade $20k car. Was someone going to spend $20-30k fixing it correctly? Meh
There isn't remotely 20-30k to fix that car (sans more evidence). If it was a shop that picked it up (don't know anything about the seller) that 10-12k guess of mine can easily come down between 5-7k due to markups getting cut and you'd pick some stuff up used (like the front fender and light housings).

If they got it for a good price they could do a quality repair and still be in it for only 12-15k. That all depends on what they picked it up for though.

Of course they could also have easily picked it up for a moderate price and then put lipstick on it rather than fix it properly. That is why you of course have a good body shop take a look as they can tell the difference between a good and bad repair.

I certainly wouldn't buy this car sight unseen or just based off a normal PPI, but I also wouldn't just write it off. That's all I'm saying. Due diligence is still king as it all things when buying a used car.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:36 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Both have good points, thanks for the input!
Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

I guess I've just spent too much time around body shops and dealing with insurance that I know how little it can take to total a car. It's not like the older (80s and earlier) cars where totaling typically implied a catastrophic impact where the driver may not have walked away. So it just bewilders me that totaled cars get written off so easily.
Yep, we're basically on the same page(cept for the attitude thing). So, you know the price of a Porsche right front fender for a 996 is about $660. But - I can buy a chinese fender for a Boxster for $179. I can buy a used fender off a Boxster from a wrecking yard for ~$160. Lather, rinse repeat for the rest of the bits. If the airbag went off, resolving that with Porsche new will be > $2400. But, I can stuff newspaper in the airbag hole, get a used controller, and bypass the sensors with a couple resistors. Total cost $240 and two hours work.

So, anyway what I see, is about 30% of the cost of what needs to be done. Go to Porsche, and it's an easy write-off. However, backyard Larry, with a torch, some putty, and access to a junk yard - it gets put back on the street and make a few bucks. Who knows? But - I still don't want a 996 with a salvage title because, I would know.

edited for accurate prices.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 04-06-2017, 04:19 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
From the seller,

"I replaced the rear right suspension in whole.

All control arms, full strut, and drive axle".
Old 04-06-2017, 04:41 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by docmirror
So, anyway what I see, is about 30% of the cost of what needs to be done. Go to Porsche, and it's an easy write-off. However, backyard Larry, with a torch, some putty, and access to a junk yard - it gets put back on the street and make a few bucks.
Which is exactly why you get it professionally assessed by someone that knows the cars.

There is also nothing wrong with pulling salvaged/used parts for the repair to do it on the cheap and that is exactly how you make money on something like this. Hell, even insurance companies will try to quote you using used parts or the knock offs if you aren't careful and watching them.

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Rennlist Investigational Services to the rescue! Nothing is safe from RL

So this answers some more questions. It indeed appears to be restricted to the single side, but the wheels definitely tell a story. I had wrongly assumed that since it has the Carerra IIs now that those were what was on it, but we can see it was the GT3s.

So what I see here now is that it probably slid into something (curved barrier like at a track? just missed being t-boned and got tagged in the back which swung the front end around and into the hitting vehicle?) and the front and rear corners took the brunt.

What I see here is that it looks like a chunk of that rear wheel is missing which implies a significant hit (OEM wheels are pretty damn stout). Even with the rubber gone and it sitting on the rim, that wheel is pointing in a funny direction.

So with this new info I would say the book price for repairs was probably around $15k. Maybe more.

Based on that pic I'd bet that they picked it up around $6-8k or so which leaves 10-12k of space with their current asking price. I'd guess they are into it around $15k so we are looking around 8-9k spent on the rehab. If they have a good source for the parts and could do all their own labor at cost, it's still possible for it to be a legit repair.

Anyone interested in this car needs to have it looked at closely by both a mechanic and body shop with special attention paid to that rear corner. These cars are built like tanks back there to protect the engine so there is a good chance it's just mechanicals that needed to be replaced.

I'm shocked that it doesn't look like the airbags fired at all, though we can't see if maybe the passenger's door bag went off.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:24 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

From the seller,

"I replaced the rear right suspension in whole.

All control arms, full strut, and drive axle".
..and bingo was his name-o.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:26 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Now, assuming all the work was performed to spec, what else would one focus on other then bondo.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:44 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Now, assuming all the work was performed to spec, what else would one focus on other then bondo.
Mostly making sure it was indeed done to spec. Making sure there isn't any frame damage to that rear end. Making sure that for any of the mechanical parts that were replaced that new wear items (e.g. rubber/plastic bits) were replaced if it looks like he used salvage parts.

Basically this is a deal that has little margin (if everything was done to spec) so you need to look hard for cut corners.

What did it have, 80-90k on the clock? If he only replaced that one strut/spring and the others are original, that could have an impact on how it drives/handles/rides as the other 3 struts will be tired.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:58 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The stupid part of me likes the yellow car a lot. If it was in AZ, I would offer $15k for the car if repairs and PPI checked out.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:00 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

^That's exactly what I was thinking price wise.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:04 PM
SEADave
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say $18k is pretty close to spot on actually assuming a good bodyshop looks it over and confirms that all repairs were completed to a high standard with quality parts.

Without seeing more pics, nothing in that pic screams that there would have been serious hidden damage. From that pic it looks to be almost entirely cosmetic, but it doesn't surprise me at all that the repair cost was passed the totaled threshold.

Most interesting to me in that pic is that it has two different wheels...
I agree, so long as the buyer is aware and has a qualified person check over the repairs what's the difference? In my area, it is hard to find any manual coupe for $18k, let alone a newer 3.6 car in a desirable color with an upgraded interior. The same money could likely buy a no-accident low-options 3.4 cab in black or silver if that's more important.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:26 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Start with the chassis alignment specs. Each car has a detailed diagram giving the corner specs, locations, weights, etc. Next, if it comes close on the chassis locations, do a corner balance. Some of this can be adjusted with shock adjustment, but if the chassis has a twist to it, the two opposing wheels will have different weights on the balance scale(think of a piece of paper, then twist it a bit, and you can have the idea of bad corner weights). Then, door/fender gaps, door close latch alignment, roof open/close.

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...