Sponsored by:

Before and after

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 PM
911 Day
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I'm looking to pick up the brakes from Suncoast and have them powder coated black so people don't think I'm a "poser."
Which totally makes sense. Because what other people think about your car is the most important thing.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Jrod
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Day
Which totally makes sense. Because what other people think about your car is the most important thing.
EXACTLY
Old 03-30-2017, 06:00 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not about being a purist. It's about being real. It's not an S, so why pretend? Paint the calipers, dip the wheels, put on stickers, but I don't get at all someone trying to pretend to be something else.

Might as well have called it an M4 or throw a HEMI badge on it. Call it a Cayman or a Boxster. Just as valid. It makes no sense.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:36 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Day
Totally don't care what others think of my car. But I do care a bit about what people think of me. I've never tried to pretend I'm someone I'm not and I don't want to drive a make believe car either.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:09 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by RODOLFO04
thanks for your comments man, very real

about the S,

it is like clear tailights for me, i don't like them, and I will tell you, but I won't go crazy bashing about it on and on

it's just a preference thing

thanks again
Not really an apples to apples comparison there

Clear or red taillights are a personal preference. Adding the "s" to a base model is just misleading...

I have no issues if someone wants to debadge a base or non-base car. That can always be argued that it's more about wanting the clean look of no badges vs trying to conceal the actual model of the vehicle.

BUT adding a badge from a higher trim model to a lesser vehicle is just poor taste. I don't think there is anything "purist" about not wanting to see an "S" badge on a base car...
Old 03-30-2017, 08:17 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

On the flip side of the badging discussion... my car is a debadged C4S with only PORSCHE across the back. At last a half dozen times in the 8 months I've had it I've had people ask... what model is that? Even some Porsche folks, but mostly just car enthusiasts that are kinda aware of the different models but don't seem to know the distinguishing cues. I even has a C2S owner ask me is it was a base C2 while standing at the back side of the car where he could see both the red calipers and the tail light bar... but he was brand new to Porsches so I guess it was reasonable.

Overall I like the simplified look and find it amusing when people try to guess what it is. I guess the point that crossed my mind with respect to OP is that if your car was badged as just Porsche, most people would likely have no idea what it is and might as easily guess it was a 4S by the redness of the calipers since most won't notice the caliper/rotor size differences. Then you wouldn't be as exposed to the heat in the enthusiast kitchen if it ever does get to you.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:37 PM
Jrod
Instructor

Originally Posted by StormRune
On the flip side of the badging discussion... my car is a debadged C4S with only PORSCHE across the back. At last a half dozen times in the 8 months I've had it I've had people ask... what model is that? Even some Porsche folks, but mostly just car enthusiasts that are kinda aware of the different models but don't seem to know the distinguishing cues. I even has a C2S owner ask me is it was a base C2 while standing at the back side of the car where he could see both the red calipers and the tail light bar... but he was brand new to Porsches so I guess it was reasonable.

Overall I like the simplified look and find it amusing when people try to guess what it is. I guess the point that crossed my mind with respect to OP is that if your car was badged as just Porsche, most people would likely have no idea what it is and might as easily guess it was a 4S by the redness of the calipers since most won't notice the caliper/rotor size differences. Then you wouldn't be as exposed to the heat in the enthusiast kitchen if it ever does get to you.
Good point. Most people and even car enthusiasts as you mention would have no idea what exactly it was. Mine is a C2S and came like yours with only PORSCHE on the back. I was fine and actually liked it that way but I seen a picture with just the 911 underneath. I thought it looked really nice and figured it wouldn't hurt to try it and if I didn't like it I could just take the numbers back off and only be out a little coin. I'm not sure if that's ok with most Porschafiles but I would assume it is. I did however find out it's not proper in the eyes of some here to drive with your spoiler up so who knows.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:06 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrod
Good point. Most people and even car enthusiasts as you mention would have no idea what exactly it was. Mine is a C2S and came like yours with only PORSCHE on the back. I was fine and actually liked it that way but I seen a picture with just the 911 underneath. I thought it looked really nice and figured it wouldn't hurt to try it and if I didn't like it I could just take the numbers back off and only be out a little coin. I'm not sure if that's ok with most Porschafiles but I would assume it is. I did however find out it's not proper in the eyes of some here to drive with your spoiler up so who knows.
I've never seen any criticisms of the good 'ol 911 logo like you have... there is a factory option to get it that way on the 991 cars... so I guess that makes it official. On my last car I took off the Carrera, had no PORSCHE, and just did a centered 911S. It looked very clean as does yours. Looks like you got the placement spot-on.

Last edited by StormRune; 03-30-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Jrod
Instructor

Originally Posted by StormRune
I've never seen any criticisms of the good 'ol 911 logo like you have... there is a factory option to get it that way on the 991 cars... so I guess that makes it official. On my last car I took off the Carrera, had no PORSCHE, and just did a centered 911S. It looked very clean as does yours. Looks like you got the placement spot-on.
Thanks. I really thought it would be easy to put on but but it was a little more difficult than I anticipated. I really thought about the S too but went without it. There is a shot of a 911S only on the back on Suncoast's web site and I like that as well.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:34 AM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, for the newbies like myself, how can you tell the difference visually between the models? If a car is completely debadged, a rennlister can correctly guess what the trim is just by looking (C4 vs C2 vs C4S vs GTS etc...)? Outside of the ceramic brakes and yellow calipers, what other visual differences are there between the Turbo and Turbo S?
Side note-I'm thinking of debadging my Turbo S from "Porsche 911 Turbo S" in chrome to just "Porsche" in matte black. The car is Agate grey and I think the black badge would look nicer against the grey. I'm also curious how many people in NYC would be able to guess what model the car is.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:11 AM
Fitcherama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! This has been an interesting thread to read with the morning coffee!

Personally I love your mods. The wheels look particularly sweet. I've been thinking about this and I suppose I can see why incorrect badging has upset some people. For me, it would just be a question of knowing that my car wasn't as advertised but it really isn't a big deal is it?

Good on you for enjoying modifying your car and it looks like a high standard of work too. May you enjoy every mile in her.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pashaj
So, for the newbies like myself, how can you tell the difference visually between the models? If a car is completely debadged, a rennlister can correctly guess what the trim is just by looking (C4 vs C2 vs C4S vs GTS etc...)? Outside of the ceramic brakes and yellow calipers, what other visual differences are there between the Turbo and Turbo S?
Side note-I'm thinking of debadging my Turbo S from "Porsche 911 Turbo S" in chrome to just "Porsche" in matte black. The car is Agate grey and I think the black badge would look nicer against the grey. I'm also curious how many people in NYC would be able to guess what model the car is.
I guess with a debadged Turbo S, I'd assume it really was a Turbo S if it had both ceramic brakes/calipers AND centerlock wheels. I guess it is possible that someone would option both on a non-S but it would so close to the price of a S so I'd assume the buyer would have just gotten an S.

I don't know real numbers and I have no factual basis for this, but in the general population I'd guess less than 5% would know what a Turbo (S or no S) is versus any other 911, only a couple of percent could id a Turbo without a badge, and less than one in a a few hundred would know what the S brings. In the general car enthusiast community, that would improve greatly to maybe two thirds being able to identify what a debadged Turbo is and a third knowing what the S adds. In the active Porsche community I think most would get it... but a snarky part of me would wonder how many Cayenne owners (with no coupe/cab variant as well) know the 911 models and know what each one is. I was even surprised once that a car semi-enthusiast friend asked me if my debadged C4S was a Turbo the first time he saw it. I should have said "sure!" in retrospect.

I do know that with a Turbo S or GT3/GT3RS my ego would have a terribly hard time letting go of that badge!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:14 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the OP's car looks great. Personally I'd lose the misleading badges and be proud of the car for what it is, but each to their own. Also, other than calipers, exhaust and badge what *are* the external differences between a 'base' and S?
Old 04-01-2017, 12:24 AM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is the badge I just put on my car!!
Old 04-01-2017, 11:06 PM
john iacobucci
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Badging

Originally Posted by BLAM
Here is the badge I just put on my car!!
Blam, your badging looks great! Is it vinyl?

Quick Reply: Before and after