Sponsored By:

LED Upgrades on 958

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 02:56 PM
gadgetrex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Upgrades on 958

Has anyone attempted to upgrade their fog lights or headlights to LED on a 958? The existing bulbs are none too bright on my 2012 CTT.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetrex
Has anyone attempted to upgrade their fog lights or headlights to LED on a 958? The existing bulbs are none too bright on my 2012 CTT.
Fog lights are not supposed to be "bright" - they are supposed to be a light focused at a low level such as to not send glare from the fog into your eyes. And I hope you're not running them unless there is fog (I actually can't recall the last time I switched fogs on..)

As far as the headlights - your CTT should have the dynamic headlights with HID bulbs. Mine are outstanding, especially on high-beam. I can easily see reflective signs about 3/4 of a mile away with it on high-beam. Low beam not as much, but that's what low beams are supposed to do - avoid blinding the oncoming traffic.

If yours aren't bright - LEDs aren't going to fix anything, something else is wrong. If you have 100,000 miles on the 958 it's possible the HID bulbs are starting to fade or have some deposits on the quartz envelope that are diffusing or blocking some of the light. Simple fix - new bulbs - around 4,700 Kelvin (more blue isn't actually improving your vision at all - it just increases reflective glare and glare to the oncoming traffic.)
The following users liked this post:
tokiori (03-04-2024)
Old 03-06-2017, 04:17 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Could always need glasses (or a new set) too

Intent to be funny aside, I'm serious. I blamed the halogens in my Escape for a couple years before I finally got my eyes checked. After getting glasses I could actually see at night again without changing headlights!

+958 on the Bi-Xenons putting out a crap ton of light. Ordered them on the 996 and ordered them again on the 958. If there really is an output problem then something is wrong with either the bulbs or ballasts.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:20 PM
gadgetrex
Intermediate

Default LEDs as an upgrade

While I agree that fog lights are (generally) for use in fog, having them with LEDs does not strike me as contrary to their purpose. There are instances when having improved visibility from LEDs in the fog lights would be most helpful, including driving at night on a dirt road, where having an better view of things at ground level would be a big plus.

As for LEDs in the headlights, I find they (in other vehicles) provide a much better, cleaner light than relying simply on the stock HIDs. Not only do they improve my visibility, but they make me more visible (to other drivers).
Old 03-06-2017, 08:20 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I am going to buy and install these LED projectors in place of the fog lights in my 958.2 soon:

Amazon Amazon

I like that they have been designed as fog lights with the bulbs/ballasts integrated. Plug and play, once the inner fender liner is unbolted enough to get at the fog light.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by BenCD
I am going to buy and install these LED projectors in place of the fog lights in my 958.2 soon:

https://www.amazon.com/Morimoto-Type...f_rd_i=desktop

I like that they have been designed as fog lights with the bulbs/ballasts integrated. Plug and play, once the inner fender liner is unbolted enough to get at the fog light.
I think you may want to read the reviews before ordering them.. and where is it spec'd for a Cayenne? Couldn't find that..
Old 03-06-2017, 09:38 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I just got my 12 Cayenne, i noticed when turning the wheel it appears one of the fogs switches on to illuminate that side of the road. Neat feature.

I agree the HID's put out a ton of light.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FlossedM3
I just got my 12 Cayenne, i noticed when turning the wheel it appears one of the fogs switches on to illuminate that side of the road. Neat feature.

I agree the HID's put out a ton of light.
You sure it's one of the fogs? My '09 957 Turbo S has the adaptive headlights and there's a portion of the main headlight cluster that does this when turning.

For my widebody build, I'm installing PIAA led fog lights in the Misha front bumper. We'll see how they work.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 AM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Yea you are right bro, it's not the fogs theres something in the headlight that does it.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Petza914
You sure it's one of the fogs? My '09 957 Turbo S has the adaptive headlights and there's a portion of the main headlight cluster that does this when turning.

For my widebody build, I'm installing PIAA led fog lights in the Misha front bumper. We'll see how they work.

I have the same PIAA series in a driving light installed on my BMW motorcycle. They're outstanding lights. Excellent beam pattern due to the beam shaping done by the reflector, and bright. They don't seem to blind oncoming traffic badly if aimed correctly (with a slight drop in the beam..)

Lets see if I have a photo..

Old 03-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I have the same PIAA series in a driving light installed on my BMW motorcycle. They're outstanding lights. Excellent beam pattern due to the beam shaping done by the reflector, and bright. They don't seem to blind oncoming traffic badly if aimed correctly (with a slight drop in the beam..)
Cool. Glad I picked a good one. Thanks for the review.

Pete
Old 03-07-2017, 02:25 PM
gadgetrex
Intermediate

Default Lumen LED Lights

I was thinking these bulb assemblies (or perhaps simply the bulbs), made by Lumen and sold as for the 958: https://www.carid.com/2013-porsche-c...g-light-bulbs/.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gadgetrex
I was thinking these bulb assemblies (or perhaps simply the bulbs), made by Lumen and sold as for the 958: https://www.carid.com/2013-porsche-c...g-light-bulbs/.
Just changing to an led bulb, you'll probably need to add canbus compatible resistor packs. You can find these on amazon (and probably other places) with the corresponding correct connectors on them so they can be plug and play.

BROVIEW Canbus Series -For 881 889 862 894 LED Headlights Conversion Kit Anti Flickering -Wire Haress Load Resistor Decorder Canbus Error Free Compute https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EWMR7FM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_xSihcckBIbBbr
Old 03-08-2017, 12:19 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

I bought led bulbs for my 2013 Cayenne from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.COM. They had a good application chart for the Cheyenne and had bulb applications for newer ones with bulb out sensors (some led bulbs will give a code that the bulb is burned out). There were some bulbs that weren't available, but they had all the ones I wanted. Shipping was reasonable and faster than promised. Also they have US based customer service and ship from Missouri. No affiliation other than being a recent customer.
The following users liked this post:
Cobra_6 (07-21-2021)
Old 03-08-2017, 12:21 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

We do off-road and rally driving going thru dust and snow. We researched several aux light alternatives including light bars. Did not like the light bar as you are relying on mainly the small LED to project light. We were after good optics and lens covers for both color and pattern. At night off-road or rally you do not want to overdrive your lights! We chose Cyclops widely known by the duel sport motorcycle community, and maritime industry. - http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
Driving a 5,500 mile rally that went north of the arctic circle with short winter days, our lights with blue filters saved us. Also with the yellow filters they cut thru the summer trail dust.
It is also important to consider aux tail lights. The Porsche designed tail lights are prone to being obliterated by snow and dust. We went with DOT approved tail lights mounted to the roof rack basket. It is not legal or safe to blind the folks behind you.
To see our Cyclops lights and more info on our Cayenne look at the 'Meet Otis' thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...meet-otis.html

Quick Reply: LED Upgrades on 958