996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help! The bad gas problem continues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:46 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When was the last time the gas filter was changed?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:57 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
If you get really really bored, here's the thread of my experience. The interesting part is the number of people that try and convince me it's not the gas.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ndation-5.html
I read the whole thread there, it was definitely as good as reading threads debating oil or the right IMS bearing to go with lol While I'm convinced I selected premium (one handle just buttons to choose fuel grade at the pump) my symptoms line up pretty much exactly with yours. Though it was interesting that the gas station had signs up yesterday saying they were out of premium and midgrade... makes me wonder what was really going on.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:01 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Originally Posted by extanker
put a can [just one] of dry gas in a full tank of high test................and get over to the gas station.....was their fuel bad ?
I'd asked them that same day if anyone was reporting issues with the gas and they looked at me like I was asking when the next train to Mars was. They told me no one had reported anything. I noticed the sign on their pumps yesterday on my way to the hardware store to get stuff to pump out the gas. I'm pretty certain their gas was bad, or somehow a lower octane was put into the tanks for premium there. I don't have any experience with dry gas, is that similar to Heet?
Old 03-03-2017, 01:03 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnireland
And don't run your tank that empty. Here in earthquake land I never let my car go below half full.
Lesson learned and I'll be following your advice. I'll be moving back to earthquake country soon myself. It's been great being around family here in the frozen midwest, but the warm weather of Socal is where I belong
Old 03-03-2017, 01:09 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 743 Posts

LOL that your avatar is you pumping gas in your car! Maybe change that and your problems with refueling will go away. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:13 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
LOL that your avatar is you pumping gas in your car! Maybe change that and your problems with refueling will go away. Glad you got it sorted out.
Hahaha! Yes that is me, my brother took that picture on our road trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was my tribute to the interesting way Richard Hammond pumped gas into his Mustang on the Top Gear Patagonia special
Old 03-03-2017, 01:47 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B-ran
I'd asked them that same day if anyone was reporting issues with the gas and they looked at me like I was asking when the next train to Mars was. They told me no one had reported anything. I noticed the sign on their pumps yesterday on my way to the hardware store to get stuff to pump out the gas. I'm pretty certain their gas was bad, or somehow a lower octane was put into the tanks for premium there. I don't have any experience with dry gas, is that similar to Heet?
dry gas or any product that breaks down water so it will mix with gas. On regular gas ........most cars by fed law have to be able to run and pass emissions test on regular gas . the most common screw up is water in the fuel from a station,then diesel /reg. in the high test tank. water is easy to spot just let the gas settle and the water will be on the bottom,diesel you can smell.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:30 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

"Hiya, welcome to A1 gas station! How can I help you?" asked Bonzo

"Yes, I'm B-Ran" exclaimed B-Ran

"What kind of name is B-Ran?" "Reminds me the last time my brotha JoJo ate sum of those ghost pepper tacos at the local Mexican joint"
"After about 5 of those thangs, he grabbed his tail and had to swing real fast to the bathroom ya know... mama like... 'where JoJo??'... I'm like, 'JoJo be ran to sheeter mama!" laughed Bonzo

"Anyways, how canna help u fella?", asked Bonzo

"I think I got bad gas." sighed B-Ran

"bwahahahahaha! Aint that sum irony for ya!" Bonzo shouted

"seriously sir, my car..."B-ran explained

"You mean the "P O O R S H"? Bonzo asked while rolling his eyes

"Uh, it's pronounced 'POR-SCHE' like two syllables" corrected B-Ran

"Anyway, I just filled up my Porsche and now it won't run" remarked B-Ran

"Sir, we ain't got no bad gas here. Maybe you should pick a more reliable American sports car next time?? I hear the Kia Soul is a cool ride" smirked Bonzo

"Well, the car ran fine until I filled up here. Has anyone complained?" asked B-Ran

With a confused look, "Sir no one... and I mean no one has complained about A1 gas, but I'll be happy to call the boss and tell'm about this"

"Ok, I'll be in touch", remarked B-Ran

"Hello boss, this here's Bonzo down at the A1 and I have another one of those loonies in the fancy sports cars complaining about the gas. What should I do?" asked Bonzo

"Well (coughs) hi there Bonzo. Have you tried the normal tactics of putting it off on their car?" asked the Boss

"Unfortunately, yes, but it didn't seem to work from the look on his face sir." remarked Bonzo

"Ummm, ok... now to step #2, call the gas people that sold us the last tank of gas" asked the boss

"iight, I'll give'm a call right now. (snicker) Please hold boss" exclaimed while pushing the hold button and calling the gas company

"Hello, you've reached Larry and Darrell at Grease Monkey Gas Company, what can we do ya for?"

"Yes, this is Bonzo down at A1, got sum customers complaining about bad gas" Bonzo explained

"Yessir, I understand, but how many times do I have to explain this... there aint no problem with our gas we sold you. It's the finest H2O/petroleum blend in the region I tell ya!", Larry confirms

"Now the best thing to do is tell that customer to buy a better car. That always works for us! hahahah! ByEEEEEEEEEE!!!" (phone hangs up)

(Bonzo very concerned and pushes the HOLD button to talk to the boss)

"Uh, boss??? You there?" whispers Bonzo

(coughs loudly) "I'm here Bonzo! What did they say?", The boss asked with a tempered tone

"They say there aint nuttin' wrong with their gas and to try the "blame it on the car" excuse." remarked Bonzo

"Ok, you listen here Bonzo. If you want to keep your job with A1, you'll do what I tell you, you hear? Now tomorrow, I want you to put bag over all the pumps and place a sign on each one that says "Out of Gas". In the meantime, I'll have some chump at the other station come and suck out all that gas to be safe. You just tell the customer if he comes back that you don't have any idea what he's talking about and be sure to look at him like he's asking you for a train ticket to Mars. You got it Bonzo.. Are we clear as mud???" sternly asks The Boss

"Boss, you're soooo smart.... wooo.... this is a saaweet plan Boss. You're truly amazing"

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 03-03-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:52 PM
B-ran
Instructor

b3freak that made my day! I almost spit my lunch out laughing!
Old 03-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

I hear the Kia Soul is a cool ride" smirked Bonzo
Actually, I own one now. Great little vehicle for the price.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:01 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Running your tank to empty could have sucked up some sediment from the bottom of your tank.
Gas station tanks running empty may have put more sediment in our tank...Your reciept should confirm what you pumped.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Volkert
Hmm, would it make sense to get a new fuel filter in? It would normally get serviced every 50k.

Volkert
Yes ,a great suggestion imho. I had a similar experience and split the old gas filter - there was still some junk in there- odd color. Cheap and easy peace of mind.If that stuff reches the filter baskets on the injectors it could be just the beginning of a saga.The other place may be the fuel pressure regulator, I just replaced it.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:14 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Running your tank to empty could have sucked up some sediment from the bottom of your tank.
"Ah yea, runnin' yo tank near empty on that fancy smancy Poorch is like Forest Gump stupid!" shouts Bonzo

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 03-04-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:16 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
I had a similar experience and split the old gas filter - there was still some junk in there- odd color. Cheap and easy peace of mind.If that stuff reches the filter baskets on the injectors it could be just the beginning of a saga.The other place may be the fuel pressure regulator, I just replaced it.
"duh uh... whatever he said.. yea that's right... I think? Ah YEA!!!" remarks Larry and Darrell

Old 03-03-2017, 06:16 PM
996tt6156R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha same thing happened to me. E85 was low on ethanol.

Quick Reply: Help! The bad gas problem continues