Sponsored by:

Help! The bad gas problem continues

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:00 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help! The bad gas problem continues

I was able to drain the tank, thanks to all the advice I got on my last post. Again thanks for all the advice! To recap the other day I was low on gas, the light had just come on, I stopped at a local BP station, put in about half a tank, as soon as I was out of the parking lot the car was running like crap, chugging and seeming like she was starved of gas or air. I pulled into a neighborhood and when I came to a stop she died. Eventually got it started, albeit running super poorly and nursed it home a half mile away.

But sadly I'm still having issues. I was able to get all the gas pumped out of the tank, went and filled up a five gallon container at a different gas station. Came back, filled the tank. Turned the key, engine cranked, a few pops, but no ignition. Tried this a dozen times or so. No joy. It cranks, but just doesn't sound healthy. I'm honestly freaked out and pissed. Sorry. I double checked that the fuel line was connected properly, the fuel pump relay was back in its correct position, etc. Any other ideas? Is it possible my fuel filter is screwed or clogged or something? Or any other area? Also went past that same gas station today and noticed they had notices taped to all their pumps saying "sorry we are currently out of premium and mid grade".
Old 03-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Document the "notices", save the receipt. The BS attendant fed you last time around is just that - BS. Something doesn't sound right here.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it the fuel pump working ? do you have spark ? I told you to go to the gas station and ask if there was a problem .......not drive by. Had they said there is a problem they most likely would have paid your repair bills from a real shop......now they might not because you worked on it . you really need to get over to the station and try to get a claim started . when you pumped the fuel out how was it.......smell like diesel,shellac or water settling on the bottom
Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 PM
billyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like bad gas but it could also be a fuel pump on the way out. I had a situation where my car would go about a mile and then die and then start again in a few minutes, go another mile ...
Old 03-02-2017, 07:28 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Ok... I know I'm late to the party here, but here's a possibility.... faulty MAF sensor.

Been down this road before and the MAF sensor is disconnected or faulty, you'll get serious performance issues like you're having.

just a thought.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:39 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Thanks again everyone for the responses! After another dozen start attempts she coughed to life. Ran rough for a minute or two but seems to be running good now. I'm thinking it might just have been a lot of that crap gas still in the fuel lines. Thanks again everyone, ya'll are the best!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:41 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

put a can [just one] of dry gas in a full tank of high test................and get over to the gas station.....was their fuel bad ?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by B-ran
I was able to drain the tank, thanks to all the advice I got on my last post. Again thanks for all the advice! To recap the other day I was low on gas, the light had just come on, I stopped at a local BP station, put in about half a tank, as soon as I was out of the parking lot the car was running like crap, chugging and seeming like she was starved of gas or air. I pulled into a neighborhood and when I came to a stop she died. Eventually got it started, albeit running super poorly and nursed it home a half mile away.

But sadly I'm still having issues. I was able to get all the gas pumped out of the tank, went and filled up a five gallon container at a different gas station. Came back, filled the tank. Turned the key, engine cranked, a few pops, but no ignition. Tried this a dozen times or so. No joy. It cranks, but just doesn't sound healthy. I'm honestly freaked out and pissed. Sorry. I double checked that the fuel line was connected properly, the fuel pump relay was back in its correct position, etc. Any other ideas? Is it possible my fuel filter is screwed or clogged or something? Or any other area? Also went past that same gas station today and noticed they had notices taped to all their pumps saying "sorry we are currently out of premium and mid grade".
You weren't planning on getting more gas from them I hope.
Do keep us posted.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

And don't run your tank that empty. Here in earthquake land I never let my car go below half full.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:20 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Thanks again everyone for all the replies, you guys rock! Update, I let her idle for a bit, blipping the gas a little bit here and there, seemed to run strong, and just took her for a ten mile drive, frequently giving her full throttle. She is back to running great. Thank goodness! Me testes sure shriveled up a lot when she started running like **** after gassing up. But all is well again
Old 03-03-2017, 12:05 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

GREAT! Glad to hear a good ending to this.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:51 AM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright good to hear a good ending to the dilema. For safe measure I would throw a can of Seafoam or Berryman fuel cleaner in the system for safe measure. The only time I had something similar to yours happen was after I reassembled everything after the motor refresh but the cause in my case was lack of fuel in lines and the car sitting around for almost 6 months without flexing its muscles. After though it was as strong as an Ox and solid. Heck sometimes I toss octain booster because Californication loves to add methanol to their fuel and to its seasonal fuel blends.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:01 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

If you get really really bored, here's the thread of my experience. The interesting part is the number of people that try and convince me it's not the gas.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ndation-5.html
Old 03-03-2017, 02:13 AM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, would it make sense to get a new fuel filter in? It would normally get serviced every 50k.

Volkert
Old 03-03-2017, 09:15 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

[QUOTE=B-ran;13999972 Me testes sure shriveled up a lot [/QUOTE]

Did we need to know this part? hahaha

Glad it cleansed itself of the problem.

Quick Reply: Help! The bad gas problem continues