Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:03 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Certainly looking forward to April!!!

Originally Posted by gac1077
Yes it was Jon's fault he it's the one that took off we all just followed, fun times can't wait to do it again, I'll love to be a passenger in the RS, I was surrounded by LO RS that whole weekend, Amazing.
Originally Posted by Alan C.
It did have a pumpkin fest feel to it. Looking forward to the next one.
Originally Posted by mwar99
I still blame Jon - it's all his fault.
Originally Posted by sgroer
You guys... Crack me up. I did love the look on Tony's face as we climbed the hill after 6. It was that look of "I've just been bitten by the bug."

And mwar- asks to drive my RS, says he'll take it easy and then proceeds to rev to 8800 down a mountain, around a curve, at night, in the fog.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Car Capsule Showcase

A few days prior to picking up my GT350, I washed my GT3 and covered it knowing it would be neglected for a few weeks while I messed with the new car.

Since this thing will be in tons of videos and photos I figure I might as well become a dealer for them. Shoot me a PM if you intend to buy one after seen this stuff.

The car sat covered for about three weeks before driving it down to a meet at PSI in Orlando. While driving, someone notified me that the rear tail light was out. So I booked an appointment with the dealer to check it out. While driving there my turn signal light then gas gauge warning light came on.

Once Porsche started tearing my car apart, they found mouse droppings and chewed wires. I didn't think it was all that big of a deal until they found more and more issues. I was finally given a few options.

1.) Replace then entire harness. An estimated 100+ hours of labor tearing the car completely apart.
2.) Buy a harness, cut it, and wire in place of the effected areas.
3.) Attempt to patch the wires are they stand.

All of these are bad, but working with my insurance adjuster (Chubb Private Car Collector Division), we decided to do option 2 to avoid having to completely tear the car apart.

Now it won't do me any good to get the car back and have the same thing happen, so I started looking for solutions. It's going to be a while before I build my dream garage, so I want to figure out something in the interim. I wanted to get a Car Capsule Showcase for my previous 2-Car Garage to protect it from the kids, but it was too large. I made the call and opted to put this in the pole barn for now.

Here is the rationale:

1.) I will keep the car I'm not driving that week in the Showcase that will keep it free of dust, bugs, etc.
2.) The combination of plastic bubble and fan noise should be a deterrent.
3.) I've added traps, sealed poison enclosures, an organic spray solution around the perimeter, bars of soap to the inside of the Showcase, and after tonight, lights to go underneath the car to hopefully ensure this doesn't happen again.
4.) The other car parked out there will be driven every day, so hopefully that improves my odds of rodents staying away.
5.) It looks freaking cool.

The Showcase needs to be undercover and isn't designed to standalone in the elements. They do make a much thicker outdoor version, but it's not see through like this one. They also make a much less expensive indoor version as well.

The appeal to the Showcase is that you can drive in and out of it. The pressure sensitive pump turns on to keep the structure inflated and the fan operates to keep air circulating. The zippers act as a natural vent as they aren't air tight. They say it costs about $1.50 a month to operate.

0U9A8072 by Matt Moreman, on Flickr

Last edited by Money2536; 12-19-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:49 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

No idea what it is about that area of a 911 that mice like but I just had a bad smell in my car for a few weeks. Make a long story short I thought the mouse was gone and I just found a nest on top of my cabin filter. After weeks of me treating the car with diff scents it never went away.

Ended up finding a dead dead mouse under the cabin filter area. The smell got better but never gone. A week later I found his twin brother stuck inside the freakin AC fan.

Btw, my car is always garaged (ironically we leave our 3rd car outside and this has never happnened). All it takes is one mouse getting in the garage when you are working on the car or hop a ride when you are at work or in a store.

My wires had some minor nibbles but they mostly went after the foam near the filter.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:12 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

So after a two and half month wait. The harness finally arrived. I'm doing my best to pretend nothing is happening. It's like my car is in surgery, and I'm not at the hospital. Hopefully it goes well and I get my car back in the next week or two.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:07 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

IS That the new harness on the floor? If so, you made the right call not replacing that entire thing. That's absolutely terrifying!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:38 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming you sell your car at some point in the future, I feel bad for the next owner who purchases it after seeing all of this
Old 02-13-2017, 10:46 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Tab A slot A, tab B slot B......

A good tech shouldn't have an issue getting it in. Of course, he'll lose his butt on the factory allowed hours.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:59 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
Assuming you sell your car at some point in the future, I feel bad for the next owner who purchases it after seeing all of this
This is something that will show up in the service records. But knowing Matt and his diligence and attention to detail, I'm pretty sure the tech will get this right the first time.

Good luck Matt! Looking forward to the return of the GT3!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why are these little critters even on this earth. What a shame Matt, it would clearly drive me nuts.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:45 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

A good tech shouldn't have an issue getting it in. Of course, he'll lose his butt on the factory allowed hours.
Yes I'm sure it doesn't pay the hours it should
Old 02-13-2017, 11:45 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

It'll go well Matt.
Imagine what would have happened if your car was yellow and looked like a big piece of cheese to the little fellow!

Old 02-14-2017, 06:51 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Matt - i understand how you feel. I would feel the same. However, I have confidence that it will be good as new. Seriously...try not to 'obsess' over it!

See you in the Smokies!!!!

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
I have to respectfully disagree with you here.

Porsche builds these cars to last and are designed extremely well to be taken apart and rebuilt. Now if it was a lesser car brand, i would be concerned. But after personally seeing how the Porsche's come apart and go back together and still remain their tight tolerances. I wouldn't be concerned. There is a reason (beyond the name) that Porsche's are quite a bit more than most cars on the road. And their smart designs are one of them.

Agreed. A good tech won't have any issue beyond just being time-consuming.

Originally Posted by meaker
Yes I'm sure it doesn't pay the hours it should
Yep. And the reason i DIDN'T pursue auto technician as a profession!!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

I got my GT3 back. All my fussing over nothing. The car is perfect. I just have to reconnect the audio system, and I'm back up and running. I am thinking about RS still...

Old 02-25-2017, 11:57 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad it's finally back in your hands.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:34 PM
binky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That GT3 sounds great! Enjoy watching your stuff. Did you ever dyno after Dundon install? And what were the numbers? Also did you sell the M3? Maybe You already showed this info.

Quick Reply: Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal