Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wiring a 951 for Racing, anyone BTDT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 10:41 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Wiring a 951 for Racing, anyone BTDT?

So I decided to go PCA club racing, Got a Good used 88 Turbo-s, It was the perfect car, interior was so trashed I didn't save anything but the Airbag system, everything else ended up in the dumpster... I ditched the HVAC, Im at he point now where I need to dis-able the steering lock, install all the wiring, cut-offs and so-forth. I do not want the take hours to re-invent the wheel, Im sure somone has a write-up but cant find it. This is the next step for me before I weld the cage in (its all fitted and built), I just dont want to to crawl around it while I wire. I certainly dont need power seat leads ect. I do however want to retain my lights, horn, and wipers. Anyone BTDT?

Thanks, Glen.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:10 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Here's where we made the cut for our chumpcar. The dash board wiring was kept, but the centre console and seat harness got chopped. To get the steering lock, you have to pull the mechanism off the column and take a grinder to it.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:52 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wiring a race car just comes down to removing a component you don't want, and tracing the wires back and cutting as you go. Isn't rocket science, a doubt anyone has gone to the huge trouble of documenting every wire that can come out of the car. Get a set of wiring diagrams from that year so you can understand what you are removing.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:20 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have stripped everything out of a 924S for SP2 and started from sctatch. Brake lights, running lights, wipers, cooling fans, fuel gauge and fuel pump are all that was needed for a for body wiring. The rest is power and ground for the DME. Saved a fair amount of weight doing that, but you need to know how to read a wiring diagram and basic electrical knowledge
Old 01-06-2017, 08:18 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey Glen,
Contgrats on your purchase and desire to go racing.

As Justin mentioned, have fun w/ the steering lock... Drilling out those security screws to remove the lock is a pita..

To be honest, I haven't removed much wiring from my car. It's already underweight for stock class so there's minimal benefit. If anything, I've probably added more wiring than I've removed (e.g. manual rad fan switches, ABS reset switch, transponder, etc.).
Old 01-06-2017, 08:22 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Justin, did you still retain your key and use the tumbler assembly? I was planning on tossing the ignition assembly in the trash once I got it off and going with a push button start. Is that allowable in PCA "stock" ? I think ill just photocopy my schematics use various colors of highlighters and start eliminating.. I have heard that shaving cream on the inside of the windshield works as an anti-fog agent for racing in the rain. Then again I am giving serious consideration to making a small box around the header, much like the air cooled heaters of the past and running a brake fan to the defrost vents.. i keep looking at the hole through the firewall where the AC and heater hoses passed through thinking that would be perfect...
Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Justin, did you still retain your key and use the tumbler assembly? I was planning on tossing the ignition assembly in the trash once I got it off and going with a push button start. Is that allowable in PCA "stock" ? I think ill just photocopy my schematics use various colors of highlighters and start eliminating.. I have heard that shaving cream on the inside of the windshield works as an anti-fog agent for racing in the rain. Then again I am giving serious consideration to making a small box around the header, much like the air cooled heaters of the past and running a brake fan to the defrost vents.. i keep looking at the hole through the firewall where the AC and heater hoses passed through thinking that would be perfect...
Shaving cream does work the best, much better than antifog!
Old 01-06-2017, 02:18 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Justin, did you still retain your key and use the tumbler assembly?
Yes we still need the key to start the car. It's a chumpcar, so no requirements for keeping the key or anything. Makes it marginally harder to steal it though.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, It really wasnt as bad as I thought, I drilled out the steering lock bolts with no problem at all. I took a round carbide burr and ground a small dish on the thread side, then I drilled from the top down till I go a good bite on the bolt. Once I had a good pilot hole I re-profiled the drill bit very flat to "grab", It took 2 seconds of drilling and the the bolt spun out with the drill.... As far as the wiring, well, thats just time consuming, I copied my prints at Fed-Ex and had them blown up as well. I made notes on the them where things are cut, gone Ect. This way they will always be specifically for that car. Im just about done, Just the clock, cig lighter harness to go.. I really dont care about the weight as much as having a "clean" harness. I traced the wires beck to the fuse /relay box and cut them folded the wire over and put shrink tube over each one.

Quick Reply: Wiring a 951 for Racing, anyone BTDT?