Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne phone holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 06:04 PM
dytryn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I cobbled together. A bit chunky, but perfect phone placement and infinite angle adjustments.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Big_Tex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have hated every vent mount I have ever tried, and I don't mind having the phone down low. I figured it was time to try a magnetic mount. That led me to this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$15 is nice too!

Now, to mount it, I fabbed up a simple length of aluminum channel. This provides the flat surface for the mount to stick to. I used a couple of zip ties to attach it, so totally removable. Could be much neater with a larger channel and some kind of bolt up clamping action, but this is probably yet another of my prototype builds that never gets to version 2.0. Rock steady, grabs and releases the phone in an instant, and fairly unobtrusive.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just put a proclip in my 958. Love it!

I had been using one of the air mounts on the vent in the Spyder, but it kept flying off around corners (not cool with the top down!). Figured I'd try out the proclip in the Cayenne and have now ordered a second one for the Spyder.

The benefit of just clicking it into the built in power and it not moving around outweighed the lower location IMHO. Oh - and it no longer fries my phone if I have the heater on and forget to close the vent
Old 11-03-2016, 10:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
I just put a proclip in my 958. Love it!

I had been using one of the air mounts on the vent in the Spyder, but it kept flying off around corners (not cool with the top down!). Figured I'd try out the proclip in the Cayenne and have now ordered a second one for the Spyder.

The benefit of just clicking it into the built in power and it not moving around outweighed the lower location IMHO. Oh - and it no longer fries my phone if I have the heater on and forget to close the vent
Picture(s)?
Old 11-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Here you go .....

Old 11-05-2016, 02:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Look interesting, but I'd want it on the other side of the console since I do use the buttons it blocks once in a while.. think that's doable?
Old 11-05-2016, 03:35 PM
webridges
Track Day

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Look interesting, but I'd want it on the other side of the console since I do use the buttons it blocks once in a while.. think that's doable?
Proclip makes a reversed clip for the other side of the center console. I just installed mine on the same side as Dalema. I was afraid the passenger side would be too far of a reach.

It's difficult to see the A/C temp, but I usually keep them all synced, so I look at the passenger display when blindly adjusting the temp.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by webridges
Proclip makes a reversed clip for the other side of the center console. I just installed mine on the same side as Dalema. I was afraid the passenger side would be too far of a reach.

It's difficult to see the A/C temp, but I usually keep them all synced, so I look at the passenger display when blindly adjusting the temp.
IMHO, the reach is good - keeps the temptation to fiddle with the phone whilst driving at bay. I went to the Proclip site - and found the other size one. With the phone holder it looks like about $80. I'll see if I order it on Monday, they can guarantee delivery by Friday. After that - I'll be driving the thing to California and back..

Would be nice if the phone mount incorporated wireless charging (inductive) - it's all I use on my Motorola Droid Turbo-II. The microUSB is (IMHO) an engineering abortion designed for failure.. (and I've had enough of them fail) especially when put in a fixed position requiring the phone to be slid down over the connector. Didn't see that option on their website.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:39 AM
webridges
Track Day

I'll see if I order it on Monday, they can guarantee delivery by Friday.
FYI, I ordered mine on Tues. (10/25) and received it on Sat. (10/29) using USPS Priority Mail option. I had also received an "on back-order" email the same day I ordered, so maybe that slowed it down a little.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:00 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Would be nice if the phone mount incorporated wireless charging (inductive)
iOttie makes a nice one.

http://amzn.to/2fsgrCy

It uses the standard sized ball mount socket on the back. So you have to put one of those onto whatever mount you're using. Lots of cradles work that way, either the ball or the socket on the back.

Just loosen the collar behind the mount and remove it from the suction mount arm. Arkon is another vendor that makes some nice double-T-slot mounts to allow quick removal of everything but the base.

Put this on the back of the mount:
http://www.arkon.com/product/AP2T17M...rmin-ball.html
Then put this on the bracket:
http://www.arkon.com/product/AP032SM...ter-plate.html

Then you can pop the whole thing off the dual-T leaving it relatively flat and feature-less looking.

There's a ton of ways to mount gear. Arkon has quite a lot of other brackets and the like.

I prefer a mount that keeps the phone higher. I really don't like the position of the Pro Clip one down on the console. I've used this one in my Grand Cherokee and greatly prefer that kind of location.

Are there no other higher-mount options for the 958? I'd prefer one that didn't require screws into material or glue.

Last edited by wkearney99; 11-07-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:56 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by wkearney99
iOttie makes a nice one.

http://amzn.to/2fgGegE
I see nothing about inductive charging on this one... did I miss it somehow?
Old 11-07-2016, 12:01 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

I see nothing about inductive charging on this one... did I miss it somehow?
Oops! That's the one I got for my brother's non-Qi chargeable phone. My mistake.

THIS is the one I'm using for our Samsung S6 and S7 phones.

http://amzn.to/2fsgrCy

Thanks for catching that error. I edited the post to correct it.

The Qi-capable one is a lot more expensive. But it really does work effectively and is easy to use. Just squeeze the left/right tabs to expand the clamp and pop the phone into the bracket. The clamps will stay extended until you push the phone into the bracket. There's a tab that pops-in that releases the clamps to securely grab the phone.

At home we've got a couple of these:
http://amzn.to/2fLv1sN

My only complaint is it could be just a slight bit longer/taller. My S7 in a case tends to tilt back a bit if you try to use the top part of the screen while it's resting in the cradle. But it'll also charge my Nexus 7 table if I rest it there horizontally (even while in the case).
Old 11-22-2016, 01:12 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Proclip is running a 20% off sale. Code: HOLIDAY16
Old 11-22-2016, 04:56 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Here's some pictures of what I'm trying.

The first is an iOttie wireless charging cradle using their extending arm suction cup mount. It tends to sit the phone a bit too high for my liking.

The second is that same mount but attached to long, flexible mount, also via suction cup. It also includes a little stand to help brace it. This I saw in a fellow PCA member's Cayman. The ball on the end of the mount is a standard 17mm Garmin-style. The iOttie fits on it quite nicely.

Ignore the USB cable snaking along the dash under the gauges. I plan on getting power from the left fuse panel once I finalize the mount's position.

I'd rather have some kind of bracket that's more securely attached to the dash instead of a suction mount. Pro-Clip and other have made various solutions like that for other cars, but nothing other than the console position for the Cayenne. I'm of the opinion there's enough gap in the binnacle seam to allow for a bracket to tuck in there. The question is what to do on the outside edge. The air vent has a seam but it seems too tight to wedge something in there.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
Attached Images     
Old 11-22-2016, 05:00 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 267 Likes on 175 Posts

Two words - A-pillar. Is it two words?
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Quick Reply: Cayenne phone holder