Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:34 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 266 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Cayenne phone holder

I recently had a Cayenne loaner for a day, pretty nice car I must say (but way too big for me).

I noticed that as usual there's no dedicated place for a phone in a car. What do you guys use for phone holders?

I have and idea, and actually a prototype for a phone holder right of the gear shift. But not sure if I should go forward with ordering real parts
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 11-01-2016, 12:56 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd be interested. Please keep me informed.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:20 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out proclip. I have both the glovebox and dash mount- which I prefer. I still have the glovebox mount if anyone wants it. Willing to sell it for half price of new. It still has the sticky portion as I never took the sticker adhesive off. I know it fits on the 957 but may fit other models as well. I'll take some pictures and post later
Old 11-01-2016, 02:45 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've used the magnetic holder by Cellet for years in numerous cars; small, unobtrusive and I've never had the phone come loose even offroad. Might be hard to find a spot flat enough to stick on the dbl stick adhesive. Magnet holds through a phone case too.

https://www.amazon.com/Cellet-Univer...agnetic+holder
Old 11-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Gages
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been working on this for a while. The ProClip is nice, but you then have to deal with getting power to it. I am going to try this:

https://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

and then use this for the power

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images   
Old 11-01-2016, 05:35 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 266 Likes on 174 Posts

From 981/991 crows experience - airframe works for 10% of people, but the rest can't live with it's...un-firmness and having to use two hands all the time.

I'm thinking something that can be used with one hand, and easy to connect power without messy cords in the middle of car
Old 11-01-2016, 05:43 PM
Gages
Advanced

I'm with ya. On the ProClip I didn't like the place where the phone would sit, way too low down.

I find on the airframe it is best to attach to the highest point on the vent, but yes I wish it was firmer.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:21 PM
gadgetrex
Intermediate

Default Stay away from magnetic mounts!

I strongly recommend against using one of the magnetic phone mounts, at least if you are planning to use it with the center vents on the 958. Within a day of starting to use one, my center vent started making a clicking noise. While it would eventually go away, I asked the dealer re same. Somehow (and I can only attribute it to the strong magnet), the servo motor was damaged and the blend doors stopped working. Fortunately, Porsche agreed to repair the damage for free or it would have cost ~$1600 for parts and labor.

BTW, I use the Proclip in my CTT. The location (to the right of the shifter, jutting into the passenger side) works fine and I simply run a cable from a charger that I have plugged in, in the rear side of the center console. The cable runs between the center console and the passenger seat for most of its length.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Gages
Advanced

You don't find the ProClip to be too low for GPS usage?
Old 11-01-2016, 11:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
I recently had a Cayenne loaner for a day, pretty nice car I must say (but way too big for me).

I noticed that as usual there's no dedicated place for a phone in a car. What do you guys use for phone holders?

I have and idea, and actually a prototype for a phone holder right of the gear shift. But not sure if I should go forward with ordering real parts
If it's similar to the one shown on your website - yes - interested. Especially if it doesn't attach to the vents or block them.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:44 AM
porkandbeans
Intermediate

I'm definitely interested in a new better style.
Of all the ones I've tried, I like the CD slot mount the best.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had been looking for a holder for a long time. I almost got one that mounts in the CD slot, but thought it would be awkward. My kids found a mount that had an adjustable neck and mounted with a suction cup. What made it work is that it included a disk that with double sided tape on that allowed it to be adhered to the side of the center counsel, with the adjustable neck putting it right next to the radio. It partially blocks from view the volume control and the defrost button, but they can still be easily reached. The only issue I have is that because this is a non-standard configuration it will rotate under the weight of the phone if I go over large bumps or whatever. I need to put a small dab of adhesive caulk to solve this.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:10 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

I didn't mind the low glovebox mount at all. When my wife drives the car she has trouble looking down and a shorter reach than I do, so I got the one that mounts on the left center vent. I already had one in my work truck and loved the location. It can swivel 90 degrees to landscape mode which is nice and you can adust how tight you want it to fit the phone or phone with case. I run a plug from one of the 2 outlets under the passenger glovebox to the unit (tucked away under the ashtray). When we go on long trips I run a second one from there for my wife for the passenger side. I also have a magnetic ipad holder that fits in the CD slot, hook it up to my bluetooth and we can watch movies with surround sound. I used to have a jobi gorilla mount for the ipad which would wrap around the o **** bar above the glovebox but since the cayenne doesn't have the a **** bar the CD mount is the least intrusive and opos out in a second and stores nicely in the glovebox when not in use.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:20 PM
nychase
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 957 Proclip Solution

So I'm late to this party but I was looking for a solution a few months ago and came up with the following.

I used the same clip others are talking about here:

Clip

I then mounted this pro clip item to it:

Ball Mount

I then Removed the base (just unscrew all the way and pull the base off) and then mounted the charger to the ball mount). I used black but its showing as 80 when its supposed to be 50...I'd just shop elsewhere for it in black:

Charger

I used this setup with my droid Turbo 2 and my wifes Iphone 6s with wireless charger. Whats that I say? yes, I found this to actually work decently enough despite the cheap cost. My wife just keeps it in there an uses the tylt desktop charger now too:

Iphone Wireless Charger

Of course I never took a picture of the whole setup and my P!G is in storage until next summer. Bottom line, it never moved (and I never used the double sided tape that proclip included) and it worked perfectly. The cable just shoved into the glove box area and then plugged in to one of the two plugs. Best, yet, I still have the cig lighter the extra outlet under the glove box and a usb port since the Tylt has a pass through USB port on the plug side.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:00 PM
gadgetrex
Intermediate

Default Proclip Height for GPS

In answer to the question, no, having my phone mounted in the Proclip sitting at approximately the same level as the top of my gear shifter (in the passenger bay) is not too low. I don't look at the phone continuously of course; if I did, it probably would be a problem.

Anyway, I'm hoping to have my Navdy unit soon, at which point all my GPS function will be in a heads-up display (assuming it works!)

Quick Reply: Cayenne phone holder