Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Reseal - Might have it down - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 12:10 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
The camaro idea is a good one but I dont think youlll find many willing to drill on tempered glass.
Yeah, you're right. I just searched for tempered glass drilling and it's impossible. Glad I didn't have to learn the hard way.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:32 PM
KVDR
Pro

Glass completely separated from frame at top.

I'm going to make an attempt on the hatch reseal.

I've ordered the Sika Titan P2G goop. It's primerless, and should be easier to use than messing around with multiple products.

Updates to follow in a week or so.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch hope it works. Just repaired my hinge area last week... so far so good!!!
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2016, 01:26 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

@kvdt - where did you find the titan product? Was the primerless the reason you went that route?

@kwikt - what did you end up using?

As soon as I get my timing belt job completed, this will be the next job. Thanks for blazing the trail!
Old 09-02-2016, 01:50 PM
kwikt
Racer

I went with the 3M product,
Old 09-02-2016, 02:08 PM
KVDR
Pro

Originally Posted by tj90
@kvdt - where did you find the titan product? Was the primerless the reason you went that route?
There's a few guys selling pairs of Sika Titan P2G tubes on eBay. *Maybe* I could find it locally, but I've spent too many afternoons driving around this city trying to find something 'easy', and running into road blocks - minimum order quantities, clueless counter guys, etc.

Primerless was a factor. One less thing to screw-up/worry about.

Plus a number of people in this thread and others were having difficulty with the 3M products working.

Someone mentioned Sika ASAP which is supposed to be applied HOT, but I also couldn't find it on eBay. Another suggested Sika 256, but it seemed to be an older product - maybe superseded by the Sika Titan P2G?
Old 09-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by KVDR
There's a few guys selling pairs of Sika Titan P2G tubes on eBay. *Maybe* I could find it locally, but I've spent too many afternoons driving around this city trying to find something 'easy', and running into road blocks - minimum order quantities, clueless counter guys, etc.

Primerless was a factor. One less thing to screw-up/worry about.

Plus a number of people in this thread and others were having difficulty with the 3M products working.

Someone mentioned Sika ASAP which is supposed to be applied HOT, but I also couldn't find it on eBay. Another suggested Sika 256, but it seemed to be an older product - maybe superseded by the Sika Titan P2G?
The shop that did mine swore by the DOW self-etching stuff. Seems to be working....
Old 09-02-2016, 02:59 PM
KVDR
Pro

I have to admit, I was price-checking the cost of a brand new hatch. ~$1700 USD if I recall. If it was half that, I'd be very tempted.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:31 PM
kwikt
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The shop that did mine swore by the DOW self-etching stuff. Seems to be working....
Which Dow product did they use?
Old 09-02-2016, 11:48 PM
spacedoc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KVDR
I've ordered the Sika Titan P2G goop. It's primerless, and should be easier to use than messing around with multiple products.

Updates to follow in a week or so.
I'm in the same exact boat and am also using the Sika Titan P2G. We probably bought from the same seller on ebay! I'm doing the full separation and reseal, and am taking my time. The hatch is off and the trim and wing removed (I had to drill out the screws holding the wing on...)

My reading of the Sika documentation is that P2G stands for Primerless to Glass, and if you plan on doing full urethane removal from the frame, you need to use primer on that side. I got the Primer 207 and the Aktivator Pro prep chemical in addition to the urethane. I'm not sure if i really need to go whole hog, but I figure I only want to do this once...
Old 09-22-2016, 12:15 AM
KVDR
Pro

I'm almost at the halfway point for resealing the hatch.

Once I get everything clean and prepped for the adhesive, with frame set in car, how should the glass fit inside the frame? Should there be zero gap at the top, with a big gap at the bottom? Split the difference?

Whoever performed the previous reseal appears to have re-glued the glass with the frame off the car, so everything is skewed. I have no good reference of how it should look. It appears they even had to elongate the holes for the spoiler trim so everything would fit.

There were also some kind of 'spacer' which looked like old gasket attached to the hinge face. Doesn't look factory - anyone else have this?
Old 09-22-2016, 06:37 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Kvdr - sorry I can't offer any information. I'm gonna do my glad in the next month. I did successfully get the timing belt done and the glass reseal is next. Good luck & hopefully someone will chime in!
Old 09-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, after some research I bought the following (as others have done)

Sika Aktivator Pro
Sika Primer 206 G+P
Sika Titan P2G
ASI 0240 Adhesive Cleaner (for any potential silicon)

I like Titan because it can go on cold, but beware, it evidently is very hard to get out of a typical caulk gun and an electric or pneumatic gun in suggested.

As for the Titan urethane bonding to the frame, the application literature state that you should leave approx. 1-2mm of original urethane on the frame. Urethane bonds to Urethane evidently. Our separation happens at the glass. Which leads me to my next question: If Titan P2G doesn't require a black primer (such as Sika 206 P+G) then how will you had any irregularities when the sealant "squishes" out?

For that matter, do you need to use clamps to secure the glass to the frame considering this sealant is VERY stiff, or do you just set the glass on top, around edges for even spacing, tap it down with a rubber mallet and allow to cure (min. 2-4 hours drive away time)? I do intend to place glass on frame once frame is on the car, seem you would get a better fit.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:03 PM
KVDR
Pro

I just read through all the Sika documentation today. I didn't buy the other Sika products, so hopefully my P2G works well enough. I'll clean as best I can using available products.

I sliced all the old urethane off the glass, and then scraped the original primer off the glass. Someone previously used silicone, so I need to make sure that's gone too.

I need to remove the urethane from the frame still. The frame is aluminum right? Sika recommends their products for touch-ups. They also stress that their urethane should never be applied to clear-coat (I suppose because it won't bond).

I'm going to mask off the glass, frame, car, and everywhere I don't want the sealant to be. Hopefully I can get a nice clean 'OE' look from the outside of the glass.

I plan to apply the Sika to the frame (on car) using the triangular tip, wait the 18 minute open time, and then place the glass with assistant.

I am equally concerned with the hatch sitting and sealing properly against the car body, so I won't be using any clamps on the frame. I want this thing to cure in it's resting state. I know this adhesive is stiff, but hopefully the weight of the hatch along with some even pressure applied will be enough to 'seat' it.

Last edited by KVDR; 09-23-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:35 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe try putting some pillows in the trunk until the glass sits on the pillow, then keep adding until the pillows lift the glass off the hatch. Get it so that the pillows only allow the glass to just sit off the frame - this will be trial and error of course but then add the sealant to the frame and tap down as required. If the glass lifts up maybe add books (or similar) to weigh it back down? Just some thoughts, I have not done this yet, but I'm trying to think through how I will.

As for removing the urethane from the rail, do you intend to remove all of it or leave 1-2mm?

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Reseal - Might have it down - DIY