Sponsored by:

Time for suspension, exhaust and a bunch of other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 03:16 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Time for suspension, exhaust and a bunch of other stuff

Just put my 996 in the air so I can tackle some stuff that needs doing, some other stuff that doesn't really need doing but I'm going to do anyway, and a few more "while I'm in there" jobs. The list so far is:

- RoW M030 suspension. Check other components too, although the PO tells me he replaced various things (just not the shocks, grr).
- Third radiator, and clean out the inevitable crap from the rads
- Plug tubes (and plugs)
- Water pump
- Low temp thermostat
- Fuel filter
- Alt-starter Y cable
- Polyrib belt
- Coolant tank
- Engine mounts
- Mufflers and 200 cell cats from Design911
- FF trans mount inserts

I appreciate this is a lot of work to do all at once, but there's so much labour overlap in terms of removing component x to get to component y that I figure I might as well just get it all done. And for those that like pictures I'll post updates here, as well as the inevitable questions.

Speaking of which, then:
- Are there other tasks I should get done while I'm doing all of this, or things I should inspect? (NB Brakes are pretty much new; clutch and AOS were done a year ago when the gearbox was out; oil was changed 500 miles ago)
- I've read a huge amount on Pelican, Renntech, here and elsewhere, but are there any obvious pitfalls to the above jobs?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

That's quite a list. Looking forward to your updates.

Mike
Old 09-05-2016, 12:39 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

dont know what 996 you have, but you could use all stock suspension parts for 030 or get some H&R springs and any good bilstein or such shock, it would be about the same as stock. Check on maxspeed or agency power exhaust and stay away from expensive brands
Old 09-05-2016, 12:50 PM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jimmy B, done alot of what you are having done,
i went for the scart switchable muffler, - best money i have spent on it, sounds amazing. did the waterpump if i was going to do it again would likely change some of the 14 year old rubber piping. it takes alot of coolant. wish i had upgraded to suspension, but i had the cab so thought the harder ride wouldnt be beneficial. am about to do the engine and gearbox mounts as well as clutch, rms and IMS(maybe the indy doesnt want to do it). what mounts did you go for? solid? and if you have them installed how does it feel?
Old 09-05-2016, 01:55 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

I've got a set of brand new Bilstein B8's (front only C4)
Old 09-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice list. Enjoy the process and don't set a time frame. That way when you hit unexpected challenges that take a few hours to figure out, it's no big deal. I can't wait to get my track car back to start working on it again.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyB
Just put my 996 in the air so I can tackle some stuff that needs doing, some other stuff that doesn't really need doing but I'm going to do anyway, and a few more "while I'm in there" jobs. The list so far is:

- RoW M030 suspension. Check other components too, although the PO tells me he replaced various things (just not the shocks, grr).
- Third radiator, and clean out the inevitable crap from the rads
- Plug tubes (and plugs)
- Water pump
- Low temp thermostat
- Fuel filter
- Alt-starter Y cable
- Polyrib belt
- Coolant tank
- Engine mounts
- Mufflers and 200 cell cats from Design911
- FF trans mount inserts

I appreciate this is a lot of work to do all at once, but there's so much labour overlap in terms of removing component x to get to component y that I figure I might as well just get it all done. And for those that like pictures I'll post updates here, as well as the inevitable questions.

Speaking of which, then:
- Are there other tasks I should get done while I'm doing all of this, or things I should inspect? (NB Brakes are pretty much new; clutch and AOS were done a year ago when the gearbox was out; oil was changed 500 miles ago)
- I've read a huge amount on Pelican, Renntech, here and elsewhere, but are there any obvious pitfalls to the above jobs?

Thanks in advance!
You might consider buying leaf gutter guards and cutting them to shape to cover the air intakes to all your radiators while you have the front bumper off the car. I did mine for next to nothing. A leaf guard at a good hardware store cost $5. One did both my rads. You would need two. They are the exact mesh as those Pelican parts sell for around $300. Stainless or you can spray them black. Mine have not tarnished in over 2 years. Also adding daytime running lights. You can pick up 2 wires which come on with the ignition by removing the triangular cover by your driving foot. In there you will find a 4 pin hanging plug. One side comes live with the ignition. You thread the wire from there through the bulkhead and trunk to the DRLs. I also use my pumpkin lights as flashing turn signals by a simple wire link, if that takes your fancy. If you fancy doing any of my suggestions I can find my previous postings on the subjects and make another post to this page.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:56 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i've got a few of these parts as spares I'm getting rid of:

Plugs
Coils
Plug Tubes
Belt

I'll be posting them soon once I'm able to take complete stock
Old 09-07-2016, 01:34 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
Nice list. Enjoy the process and don't set a time frame. That way when you hit unexpected challenges that take a few hours to figure out, it's no big deal. I can't wait to get my track car back to start working on it again.
This. x996. Thankfully I'm not in a hurry - the rest of the fleet is in pretty fine fettle at the moment so I have things to drive. And I should be cycling more anyway. I've given myself a month for this but if it takes longer, so be it. Others might knock it all out in a weekend. But for me it's a couple of hours snatched here and there in between work, kids, social life (ha!) and so on. Plus this is an unfamiliar car for me so I'm taking my time and learning stuff as I go.

Labour Day weekend is a classic example. I could have carved out some wrenching time. But instead we hung out with friends, went shopping for a replacement for the Explorer, and spent yesterday hiking in the Shenandoah. No regrets.

This evening, though, I managed to carve out some time. Both bumper covers are off, front calipers are bungeed out the way. BTW, did I need to remove the pads first? I did anyway. Tell me I shouldn't have, and I won't with the rears.

I've left it all to bathe in PB Blaster overnight. Or perhaps longer, tomorrow evening looks a little busy.

Pics because, well, otherwise it didn't happen - and some of them have questions:

This is with liftbars and jack stands at their lowest height. I might raise it up a little more for ease and comfort.

Drop link boot looks a little worse for wear. Replace the drop links, or leave 'em be?

Left Rear drop link looks old but boots are intact (if a little dry)

Tie rod boot looks a little cracked, although tie rod end itself looks newish. Should I replace?

Tie rod again. Looks OK?

Can someone tell me what this is? This is right rear; there's a similar thing right front. Seems to measure suspension travel or something, perhaps part of PCM? It looks like it should attach to the arm, but it's (currently) not.

Found the emergency release cable!

And in response to some specific comments ...

Sammaw - funny you mention rubber hoses, the PO did the ones at the rear and gave me a box full of hoses for the front that he never got around to. So those will be going on once I've drained the system for the center rad.

OKB / dporto - went with ROW M030 from Carnewal because (a) I kinda have a thing about OEM, and (b) I had some Euros. To each their own, I know there are other routes I could have gone. Exhaust, if it arrives, will be sport cats and mufflers from Design911 in the UK. If it doesn't (long story for another time) I have a couple of muffler options I can throw on in the meantime. Maybe I should do the 997 header thing, too.

Hurdi - definitely going to do the mesh thing. Flashing side markers sounds like a plan, I'll look up the old thread.

Vandersmith - thanks man. I bought most it all already though
Old 09-07-2016, 02:07 AM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I am not mistaken the little control arm attached to the suspension arm is a ride height sensor for the Litronic servos of the Xenon headlight assemblies. They adjust the level of the lights as the car goes up and down.

Should be item# 20. There is one in front and one in the rear. Looks like the part # 18 that holds the link to the arm has popped out of its retaining hole. It's part number 99634137103 and cost about $5 should you need a new one. Or just try and pop the part back in and see if it holds.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:20 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

A highly recommended method of draining coolant.https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...pump-tips.html
Old 09-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

No need to remove the brake pads.

Drop links looks fine for stock sway bars. Tie rods should probably be added to the list either this round or next.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:19 AM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also recommend a AOS
Old 09-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me know if you need a hand with anything. I believe I'm in the area, relatively useful, and I'm looking for practice before doing many of the same things to mine!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:01 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Device2
If I am not mistaken the little control arm attached to the suspension arm is a ride height sensor for the Litronic servos of the Xenon headlight assemblies. They adjust the level of the lights as the car goes up and down.

Should be item# 20. There is one in front and one in the rear. Looks like the part # 18 that holds the link to the arm has popped out of its retaining hole. It's part number 99634137103 and cost about $5 should you need a new one. Or just try and pop the part back in and see if it holds.
Brilliant - thanks. Will give it a wiggle and see if it can be popped back in. Probably throw on a zip tie for good measure.

Originally Posted by JTT
A highly recommended method of draining coolant.https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...pump-tips.html
Nice. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Slakker
No need to remove the brake pads.
Dang.
Drop links looks fine for stock sway bars. Tie rods should probably be added to the list either this round or next.
Righto - ta!

Originally Posted by trendy996
I'd also recommend a AOS
Done, by the PO when the transmission was out for pinion bearing replacement

Originally Posted by Arch1t3ct
Let me know if you need a hand with anything. I believe I'm in the area, relatively useful, and I'm looking for practice before doing many of the same things to mine!
I like this idea. You and Gnat come work on my car, I stand and watch and supply beer.

Alas no wrenching tonight, it's "back to school night" for the lad. Hopefully tomorrow though. And I got the shipping notification for my exhaust

Quick Reply: Time for suspension, exhaust and a bunch of other stuff