996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for suspension, exhaust and a bunch of other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 11:19 AM
jhynesrockmtn
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I had mine up on the lift for a few weeks and did coolant tank, water pump, thermostat, motor mounts, oil change, LN filter modification and a few other things. I busted a rusty bolt on one of the exhaust clamps being too aggressive with the breaker bar. I ended up using a torch to heat stubborn items after. I bought an AOS but gave up on that and will tackle it over the winter along with the suspension items you are tackling. I also plan to change coil packs and plugs and install Fister mufflers. Just finished the FF trans mount insert last weekend. Looks like a great list, good luck and happy wrenching!
Old 09-10-2016, 06:10 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Got a small amount done this morning - undid a few more bolts on the front & rear suspensions, took the heat shields off and soaked every exhaust bolt I could find in PB Blaster. More tomorrow.

Current frustration is that the passenger side strut top nut won't budge, even with my electric impact wrench. Suggestions?
Old 09-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

If you aren't reusing the top hats you can get a little more aggressive with it.

If the impact won't work, you're next option is a 6 sided socket and breaker bar.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:32 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Thanks - will have another go at it tomorrow.

In the meantime some shiny things arrived in the mail today...

Old 09-12-2016, 09:04 PM
jhynesrockmtn
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

took the heat shields off and soaked every exhaust bolt I could find in PB Blaster. More tomorrow.
A little heat worked wonders on mine
Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyB
Got a small amount done this morning - undid a few more bolts on the front & rear suspensions, took the heat shields off and soaked every exhaust bolt I could find in PB Blaster. More tomorrow.

Current frustration is that the passenger side strut top nut won't budge, even with my electric impact wrench. Suggestions?
I had to cut the top nuts off of both of mine...Good Luck
Old 09-12-2016, 10:04 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Thanks - will have another go at it tomorrow. In the meantime some shiny things arrived in the mail today...
Oooh. So shiny!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:13 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Still here, still plugging away at this. Got held up for a couple of weeks there with some unexpected work travel.

Got the top nuts loosened in the end. Current frustration is that I can't get the front strut(s) out from under the fender. The Pelican book says to loosen the lower control arm bolt, which is what's holding me up - I can't for the life of me get the thing undone, and there's precious little room to get a decent socket on it. Any pointers?

I have everything else undone or loosened, the spring is all compressed with h/t zip ties, but I can't lower the assembly enough to get the strut out from under the fender - hence the need to loosen the aforementioned bolt I guess.

Help!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you drop the thrust arms? Loosening it won't work.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:39 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Ohhhhhh. The write-up in the book is for a C2. More difficult on the C4, I now realise. According to this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-question.html

I need to separate balljoints, remove driveshafts. Hmm.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:15 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Try using a set of spring compressors instead. I think it's a lot easier....
Old 10-04-2016, 11:07 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Ohhhhhh. The write-up in the book is for a C2. More difficult on the C4, I now realise. According to this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-question.html

I need to separate balljoints, remove driveshafts. Hmm.
^This^... I did the same thing the "first" time I dug into my car to replace the springs...2 hrs. wasted, put 'er back together... The second time around, I was sure to have all parts, tools, instructions etc... The entire job (springs, struts and front wheel bearings) still took me a few weeks to complete (since I was only working nights/"spare time")... I think when I figured actual time spent working it came out to about 8 hrs. total - Good luck - it's so worth it when you're finished!
Old 11-22-2016, 11:40 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

And ... she's done!

For various reasons to do with losing my workspace and running out of time, I ended up entrusting the work to IMA Motorwerke in Chantilly - well impressed with them,. btw. Got the car back on Saturday, just in time for a dash to BWI and back.

I have to say I'm absolutely delighted with how it drives and sounds now. I know I'm comparing old, worn shocks with new ones, but the Euro M030 is exactly what I hoped it would be. The ride is just a little higher than with the H&Rs, I haven't measured it yet but I no longer scrape the front of the car going into my car park at work. And there's waaaaay less crash-bang over the bumps, and the couple of little knocks from the suspension are all gone.

The DesignTek exhaust sounds beautiful. Docile at part throttle but with a wonderful bark when you plant your foot. The car sounds like a Porsche now. And shifting is crisper and slicker - the Function First shifter had already made an improvement, but the FF trans mount inserts and new engine mounts have also made a huge difference. Oh, and my exhaust tips don't sag any more

Soooo pleased to have my 996 back on the road. And now I have five days off of work to drive it

Quick Reply: Time for suspension, exhaust and a bunch of other stuff