996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Headlights on when switch is "off"

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:40 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, just would like to have control over switching them off, and don't need the lights on sunny days.

Balu - what are we looking at in your picture above? Is this a picture of the jumpered fuses? Doesn't look like a fuse box...thanks
Old 08-11-2016, 02:02 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 743 Posts

I hope this works. These are the two different wiring diagrams for the Row/USA and Canada lights. There has to be some difference between the two but I have not found it. Perhaps more eyes can discern the differences. Sheet 1 above is USA. Sheet 2 below is Canada.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Balu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree giese639 that HID's are overkill for daytime. Like Water Hound's setup I'm figuring the fogs would be fine.
The photo shows my passenger headlight. No idea what the "tape" is.
Thanks for the Hieroglyphics DBJoe996 The schematic says Model 99.
Does that mean they are pertinent to the MarkI series?
Old 08-11-2016, 02:45 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Yes...99-00 Mark I series wiring diagrams. Thought if there was some obvious way the DRL are wired up it might provide a clue. But I don't see it. And I tried to zoom in on the front lights and snip just that but no go. Pretty useless basically. Oh well.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:55 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

For U.S. cars that went to Canada, the Canadians (dealers, Independent shops etc) have no doubt designed a quick safety compliance fix to turn the headlights on, and keep them on, with the ignition, no matter the headlight switch setting. I doubt this involves complex rewiring since Canada would have to do this for every car, not just Porsches, coming across the border to stay (though the fixes would likely be different for each make). I'll call the Porsche dealership service shop in Vancouver BC and see what they do to synch the headlights with the ignition and report back.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:36 PM
lomax
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Balu
No idea what the "tape" is.
Looks just like an HOV lane transponder.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:04 PM
Balu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting suggestion lomax. We are kind of new to the HOV system and technology up here though the car's last P.O. lived outside the Vancouver area so perhaps he installed it? Or it was installed while the car was still in the New York area pre 09?
giese have you checked the fuse box for the jumper from 6 to 9? My car is from Weissach and I think they imported it also back in 09 so to what you say the cheapest easiest solution in 09 was maybe the fuse jumper for the independents? Not to sidetrack your thread dude, just that I've never seen a car or photos of one with the tape and figured it may be relevant.
DBJoe your involvement elevates any thread

Last edited by Balu; 08-12-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:40 AM
lomax
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Balu
OK just so I am not making any really stupid comments here, Is this the tape you are talking about? If so it looks exactly like the HOV transponders here in Colorado. I have them on all my bikes. Yea I know, bikes are free but we still have to have the transponders DOH.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:26 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

Sorry for delayed response to my original thread, have been waiting to no avail for information from Canadian Porsche dealers where I believed my new acquisition was serviced. That was a blind alley; I wasn't able to get anything useful from the service advisor on this issue. He said he thought the dealership "hard-wired" U.S. cars for mandatory DRLs in Canada, but he didn't know how.

I checked Row A (headlights and heated seat fuses) in the fuse box, including fuse sockets 6,9,10 for any jumpers or connections: there are none. Still leaves us at a dead end, though haven't read to the end of the thread to see if anyone has posed a solution other than the "hacks" of relay or fuse jumpers.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:37 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Here is what I've been able to discern from the wiring diagrams. There is one difference I've noticed between the USA ROW dimmer switch and the Canada dimmer switch.

USA/ROW

Canada

I was wondering if that extra separate Yellow/White wire from the switch that goes to fuse A9 is what provides the power for the DRL?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:53 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Here is a little bit larger picture. Note that fuse A9 is the low beam light, so it kinda makes sense that the Yellow/White wire is feeding the DRL...maybe.

USA/ROW lighting

Canada lighting

What I don't know is if you disconnect the Yellow/White wire and tap it into the White/Black wire (to return it to the USA ROW wiring diagram), would that make the DRL's go off without the constant 12V from the dimmer switch feed (Yellow/White wire) and thus return control to the main lighting switch? Somebody will have to experiment with that one. All this would have to take place on the wiring harness from the turn signal/dimmer switch on the steering wheel column, or perhaps just under the dash board where it connects. Obviously the first step would be to pull the Yellow/White pin from the wiring harness connector and see if the DRL's go out with the ignition on. Then it would have to be tapped into the White/Black wire to see if control is returned to the main lighting switch. And one final note that I cannot figure out - is there a USA/ROW turn signal dimmer switch and a Canada turn signal dimmer switch, in that they may be wired differently and that is the difference?

Last edited by DBJoe996; 08-30-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:18 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Joe - thanks for the research. Do you know the fuse hack that converts USA to DRL...or point me to a link. I'm sure someone has done it. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:28 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

My understanding is that it amounts to a metal clip or wire jumper installed on the fuse box that bridges between A6 and A9 low beam right (and possibly A10 low beam left). I think with the USA ROW lighting circuit, it only needs to jumped between A6 and A9 since A9 and A10 are already connected together in the wiring harness.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...s-boxster.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...p-for-drl.html

Last edited by DBJoe996; 08-30-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:37 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

DB Joe - thanks for the excellent research on this issue (I have a U.S. spec 996 that was in Canada the last seven years <and is now back in the U.S.> and while in Canada was converted to "always on DRL" - but I can't figure out how, since there isn't a fuse jumper nor relay). It could be the wire you have exposed, though I don't understand why in the above wiring diagrams you posted, the right sides of the US and Canada diagrams have different titles (Turn Signal/Dimmer Switch for USA; Low Beam Switch for Canada). Yet the wiring is identical except for the extra Yellow/White wire in the Canada version, as you have pointed out. Seems like there is a significant difference between "Turn Signal/Dimmer Switch" and "Low Beam Switch" in terms of how to ferret out the wire in question (i.e. which switch & associated wiring do you investigate??). Is this a misprint (in terms of the labels for the diagrams) or am I missing something?
Thanks again for the great research/deductive analysis
Steve
"giese639"
Old 08-30-2016, 03:12 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Don't know the answer to Turn Signal/Dimmer Switch for USA; Low Beam Switch for Canada diagram labels. Straight out of the Porsche Workshop manual wiring diagram (see Post 17). I was wondering about that as well but don't have an explanation. For all intensive purposes, they are one and the same. Now for someone to go digging around in the wiring harness/connector for the turn signal/dimmer switch from the steering column.....

Also keep in mind the DRL hack may be on the back side of the fuse block. Seems if Porsche (or someone) has to convert a car from USA to Canada, the A6 to A9 jumper would be the most simple thing to do.

Last edited by DBJoe996; 08-30-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlights on when switch is "off"