what lights up for DRL???????

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 PM
wabbit636
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what lights up for DRL???????

Hi,

I have 2 Porsches to import to Canada when I move back home. I had the dealership program DRL which consists of going into the PIWIS and making them aways on and not user selectable.

Both dealerships have sold to Canadians before and said they knew what to do but I think they programmed to many lights to stay on!

Here is what they programmed to be on as DRL and are always on:

2009 Cayman S- LED fog lights, LED bars, tail lights and side markers bars
2008 Cayenne GTS- LED bars, Bi-xennon lights, tail lights and side markers

If anyone owns any of the above or knows the answer, please let me know what lights up as DRL for Cdn spec Gen II Cayman S and for the 957 Cayenne S (GTS).

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:55 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

The Canadian requirements are in TSD 108 available here.

Specifically this document states :

(58) If the lower beams of the headlamps operating at normal operating voltage are used as daytime running lamps,

(a) it shall not be possible to activate the upper beams of the headlamps except for signalling purposes;

(b) if there is a tell-tale that is automatically activated, and visible to the driver, in dark ambient light conditions to indicate that the tail lamps, licence plate lamps, side marker lamps and parking lamps are switched off, those lamps shall not come on automatically; and

(c) if there is no tell-tale that is automatically activated, and visible to the driver,the lamps referred to in paragraph (b)

(i) shall come on automatically and remain on in all ambient light conditions
, or

(ii) shall come on automatically in dark ambient light conditions.

That seems to indicate that a whole bunch of the extra lights should be on ...

From looking at the Durametric documentation, it seems that there is just one setting for DRL ... its not like you can pick and choose which lights come on in the DRL configuration.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:13 PM
wabbit636
Track Day

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. This might explain why 2 different dealers ended up with the same configuration! What DRL are on for your GT3 after you imported it?

So does this mean that cars that are imported are lit up like Christmas trees and Cdn bought cars aren't?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I think so much of it depends on the individual inspector. I did a 97 firebird once (not for me!) and the riv inspector passed it with just the lights in the front spoiler illuminated for drl's. But that's not to say the next guy will.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:22 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wabbit636
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. This might explain why 2 different dealers ended up with the same configuration! What DRL are on for your GT3 after you imported it?

So does this mean that cars that are imported are lit up like Christmas trees and Cdn bought cars aren't?

Thanks
I suspect on the newer vehicles for NA the DRL configuration is same whether US or CDN. But I don't know for sure.

Pretty sure when my lights are on in day it's same as at night.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Now that's weird because I have DRL's only on the front low beams and nothing else - no markers and no tail lights. My car* came from Vegas and they used a jumper wire in the fuze box from A6 to A9 position. No need for the DRL relay. It's a well known hack that might be available for other models if you check around. If all the lights are coming on after a programing change it may be because the software can't isolate to just one set of lights? Could be a case of lights ON, Y/N on the software? Just speculating. The up side for me is if I don't want DRL's on - "oh look - a wire is loose..."

Old 12-24-2011, 09:56 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

That's the 996 hack everyone talks about.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:54 AM
wabbit636
Track Day

The weird thing is that in the center console computer one can turn off/on DRL on a US spec car which includes only the LED fog lights but once the dealer deactivated this feature to meet Cdn specs (ie no longer user selectable) I end up with 3 extra sets of lights so this is why I was wondering if they did it properly.

Anyone have a Cdn spec Gen II Cayman S or a 957 Cayenne S that can confirm what lights up as DRLs?
Old 12-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

on my touareg only the headlights are on low voltage (dimmer than at night) and the parking lights come on at night. my computer has a setting for DRL on off.
Wabbit: why didn't you just use the computer DRLs?
Old 12-25-2011, 06:13 PM
wabbit636
Track Day

Turbodan- I didn't use the computer DRLs because I am importing these vehicles to Canada and from what I have been told the software needed to be updated to not allow it to be user selecable like it is in the US. The US Cayman S computer DRL only uses the fog lights and if this is the case on Cdn spec Caymans (Gen II) then once imported I may just revert back to the default and just select DRL to remain on and avoid having the extra lights on.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

I am pretty sure the factory DRL selectable is good enough for RIV anything else is overkill.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:49 PM
wabbit636
Track Day

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I am pretty sure the factory DRL selectable is good enough for RIV anything else is overkill.
I agree. Will ask Cdn Tire when I get it inspected and if it is overkill then I will revert to what they say is required.

Quick Reply: what lights up for DRL???????