Sponsored by:

What is this bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 04:22 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is this bulb?

What is the small bulb in the lower right corner of the headlight (lower left for passenger side)?
Old 08-21-2016, 08:33 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

I've wondered about that too.
I've seen those small useless bulbs used on motorcycles destined for Europe. They are considered a parking light. With the key turned to park, the tail light and that little bulb in the headlight would illuminate so you could legally park on the side of the road and not put much of a drain on the battery. I believe they were/are banned in the US on bikes. Many bikes come with an empty socket or a blank off where the socket should be.

I've seen them on quite a few foreign cars, including my Cayenne and believe they are still considered a parking light.

Going even further, on a 928, you can illuminate either set of side lights with the turn signal lever. Key off, car parked and they just stay on without flashing. I believe it was also some kind of European law when it comes to parking. Also a great way to drain a battery if you're not careful.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:04 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

They keep you out of a fix-it ticket when your headlight burns out. Provided, that small bulb isn't burnt out itself.
It lights up the headlamp assembly providing a visual marker for oncoming traffic, again only if it is working AND your headlight isn't working.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:56 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
I've seen those small useless bulbs used on motorcycles destined for Europe. They are considered a parking light. With the key turned to park, the tail light and that little bulb in the headlight would illuminate so you could legally park on the side of the road and not put much of a drain on the battery. I believe they were/are banned in the US on bikes. Many bikes come with an empty socket or a blank off where the socket should be.

I've seen them on quite a few foreign cars, including my Cayenne and believe they are still considered a parking light.

Going even further, on a 928, you can illuminate either set of side lights with the turn signal lever. Key off, car parked and they just stay on without flashing. I believe it was also some kind of European law when it comes to parking. Also a great way to drain a battery if you're not careful.
They are a parking light bulb, and yes - most euro motorcycles come with them, and no - they have not been banned in the US on bikes. Every BMW bike I've owned has had one. They've seemed a rather useful thing to me - if you break down at night and need to leave lights on so you can be seen - these will not drain your battery anywhere near as fast as your headlights.

And your Cayenne should still light the one side lights if you shut down with the turnsignal lever to one side or the other. My '06 and my '11 do - so I suspect they ALL do. I've actually used this a number of times parking on narrow streets. Since it only uses low wattage bulbs (both "parking" bulbs front and rear, about 8W each) it won't kill a healthy battery overnight.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:49 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

I believe the one you're talking about is the cornering light. When you turn the wheel past a certain point, it illuminates to provide side lighting to help you see through the corner.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:54 AM
spyderman33
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like PDLS
Old 08-22-2016, 11:26 AM
deilenberger
Banned

RED = Parking Light <-- What he was talking about..
GREEN = Cornering light

Clear?

PDLS didn't show up until the 2011 958 series - where the main beam of the headlight can be steered with the steering. This is simply a cornering light (which the 958 also has - but with just a reflector, not a lens.)
Old 08-22-2016, 08:46 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deilenberger
They are a parking light bulb, and yes - most euro motorcycles come with them, and no - they have not been banned in the US on bikes. Every BMW bike I've owned has had one. They've seemed a rather useful thing to me - if you break down at night and need to leave lights on so you can be seen - these will not drain your battery anywhere near as fast as your headlights.

And your Cayenne should still light the one side lights if you shut down with the turnsignal lever to one side or the other. My '06 and my '11 do - so I suspect they ALL do. I've actually used this a number of times parking on narrow streets. Since it only uses low wattage bulbs (both "parking" bulbs front and rear, about 8W each) it won't kill a healthy battery overnight.
You're right on the bikes. I've always owned Jap bikes and deleting them must be a bean counter thing. Sometimes even the owner's manual shows how to change the bulb yet it doesn't exist. Thought maybe the DOT had something to do with it like the emergency stop switch, side reflectors and cotter pin for the axle.

Went out to the garage this evening and checked my bikes. Hayabusa has no extra bulb; parking position just lights up the tail light. Although that bike does have 4 way emergency flashers like a car.
Honda CX500 Turbo and 650 Turbo have a small bulb on each side of the headlight assembly and both light up when set to park. Never noticed that and I always thought they were just for looks as they light up during normal operation and are in separate lenses.

Had to check the Cayenne too and sure enough it does light up with the turn signals like my 928. It lights the little headlight parking bulb too which is probably all you'll see if coming at the car head on.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:06 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the city light for european cars. I can't remember, but I think I installed the euro-switch in my CTT to use them. I'm guessing Porsche elected to just include the city lights in US-spec cars to save money in having to mold two different headlight housings.

When I turn on the parking lights, the city lights come on, and then I can turn on the fogs independently. That way, I only have city and fog lights on to save my HIDs. I believe they turn off when the HIDs come on. The bigger light is the cornering light. It's lightly lit up when going straight, and goes to full power when cornering.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:17 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 19psi

They're for european cars to be used in urban areas at night. There is usually plenty of light to see what you're doing in the city, and the fact that you have sidewalk cafe's pressed right up against the road, it's a huge annoyance to everyone when you have someone creeping along in their car with bright HIDs hitting everyone in the face. City lights keep you visible and give you enough light to see without blinding everyone else.

They have no real purpose in the US.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:36 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
They're for european cars to be used in urban areas at night. There is usually plenty of light to see what you're doing in the city, and the fact that you have sidewalk cafe's pressed right up against the road, it's a huge annoyance to everyone when you have someone creeping along in their car with bright HIDs hitting everyone in the face. City lights keep you visible and give you enough light to see without blinding everyone else.

They have no real purpose in the US.
Depends on where in the US - sidewalk cafe's are becoming increasingly popular in NJ/NY urban areas - with tables going right out to the curb if the town lets them get away with it. I don't admit to understanding the appeal of brake-dust in my food/drink - but people must like it, they're popping up all over the NJ shore area.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:46 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

I meant legally speaking. US-spec cars aren't required to have them.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

In Germany, the StVZO (Road Traffic Licensing Regulations) calls for a different function also known as parking lamps: With the vehicle's ignition switched off, the operator may activate a low-intensity light at the front (white) and rear (red) on either the left or the right side of the car. This function is used when parking in narrow unlit streets to provide parked-vehicle conspicuity to approaching drivers.[27] This function, which is optional under UN and US regulations, is served passively and without power consumption in the United States by the mandatory side marker retroreflectors.[7]
Mine also operate this way with the turn signal stalk...no Euro switch needed.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:33 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Right, that's stated in the manual (parking light function). I believe you are also required to have the fog lights on with the city lights in urban areas when in Germany. I think the law is a bit different in London and Paris.

Do your city lights come on with the side marker lights? It might have been the touareg that I used a euro switch on.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:16 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Yes, both small little bulbs illuminate with the headlight switch in all positions except OFF.
Exception would be using the turn signal stalk in which one side or the other will light with the headlight switch off.

Seems to serve many purposes and from the design of the Cayenne's front end, it's probably necessary everywhere. Most cars have amber parking/turn signal lights right up front. The amber turn signal lights in the Cayenne only operates as a turn signal, they don't turn on with parking or headlights. The amber side marker lights on the bumper are next to invisible when viewed straight on.
If a headlight burns out there is no reference point for oncoming traffic without that little bulb.

Required as city lights in places like London, Paris and Moscow.

Required for dark narrow streets in Germany.

Quick Reply: What is this bulb?