Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setup numbers RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:27 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the heads up guys. I just checked, this past Sunday at Road Atlanta. No issues but my setup is stock. Tires are Dunlops. Hot pressure 32~ front 33~ rear. I do hit the curb in turn 3 but still no issues. Wonder that it is?
Old 08-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I asked my local Porsche dealer in Belgium to check if they would a) fix the damage that was done to the wheel liners and arches b) do the preventitive work suggested n the bulletin.

Got a call after a week stating it was rejected by the factory. Reason given was because I set my rear ARB from standard to stiff and changed camber to 2.5. Explained to them that the damage occurred before and the ARB was reset to reduce the touching and cording and camber for latter. They promised to try again... I have little hope but had expected a more pragmatic and professional approach from them.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:59 PM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealer Feedback

I heard back from my dealer. They say the fixes are not covered by warranty because its only a problem on the track. Hmmm. 85% of these cars will see track days and they are now rolling the fenders at the factory, but they won't go back and relatively simple design flaw on a flag ship car. That seems a little short sighted to me.

Given their response, I asked for an estimate of how much they would charge just to roll the fender. They have an APOS code of 53555030 in the tech bulletin, so it should be easy for them to price. I'll let you know when I hear back on the price, and I will ask on the hours required.

Rolling fenders is not rocket science, so if they put a high Porsche tax on this, I will have my local mechanic do it and be done with it.

If I remain grumpy about Porsche not covering this, any advice on the escalation process? Is there a regional PCNA rep I can appeal to?

thanks,

Joe
Old 08-03-2016, 07:28 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 197 Posts

a bit OT: Somebody knows how Porsche decides if mounting Cup2 or Dunlops? or they flip a coin each time?

both tires do have the same REAL width?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:57 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe731
I heard back from my dealer. They say the fixes are not covered by warranty because its only a problem on the track. Hmmm. 85% of these cars will see track days and they are now rolling the fenders at the factory, but they won't go back and relatively simple design flaw on a flag ship car. That seems a little short sighted to me.

Given their response, I asked for an estimate of how much they would charge just to roll the fender. They have an APOS code of 53555030 in the tech bulletin, so it should be easy for them to price. I'll let you know when I hear back on the price, and I will ask on the hours required.

Rolling fenders is not rocket science, so if they put a high Porsche tax on this, I will have my local mechanic do it and be done with it.

If I remain grumpy about Porsche not covering this, any advice on the escalation process? Is there a regional PCNA rep I can appeal to?

thanks,

Joe
Read my Rear Brake post in GT 4 forum and you can join my grumpy group. Have RS coming in October .

Cheers
Old 08-03-2016, 09:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
I asked my local Porsche dealer in Belgium to check if they would a) fix the damage that was done to the wheel liners and arches b) do the preventitive work suggested n the bulletin.

Got a call after a week stating it was rejected by the factory. Reason given was because I set my rear ARB from standard to stiff and changed camber to 2.5. Explained to them that the damage occurred before and the ARB was reset to reduce the touching and cording and camber for latter. They promised to try again... I have little hope but had expected a more pragmatic and professional approach from them.
So they are saying the car has to be in 100% factory trim before they will honor their warranty even though its a known issue thats been reported world wide by those using the RS on the track and for which they have made factory production line amendments and have created a dealer bulletin for?

This all seems pretty unfair to me.

One thing to note from your experience is that anyone submitting their GT3RS for these claims at their dealership should re position the ARB and make no mention of having changed camber settings (highly unlikely they would know different at -2.0 to -2.5 unless they have a camber gauge.

I think PAG should step up here. They designed the rear of this car with such little tolerance that for a track day alliance what exactly do they expect people to do!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe731
1. Find a different dealer.

2. Start writing letters and making calls to PCNA.

Originally Posted by Macca

One thing to note from your experience is that anyone submitting their GT3RS for these claims at their dealership should re position the ARB and make no mention of having changed camber settings (highly unlikely they would know different at -2.0 to -2.5 unless they have a camber gauge.
Not directed at you Macca but I call bull on that. Car is marketed as having an adjustable suspension for track days.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:47 AM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alignment

Just to be clear, the rubbing issue, at least in my case has nothing to do with the alignment. I tracked the car with stock alignment (-1.7 degrees of camber) and corded the far outside of my first left rear tire. I thought it was a lack of camber issue, so I got an alignment with -2.7 rear and subsequently corded the far outside of the left rear tire again. Both times between 35-40 heat cycles, but I think it was more about high speed heavy load turns at Watkins Glen than the heat cycles.

I will keep folks informed of how this fix goes with Porsche or otherwise.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Joe, I'm "pretty sure" that the service action was free for me (Done in Germany). I'm saying "pretty sure" because they did a regular service at the same time (by a misunderstanding).

On the other hand I asked my Swedish dealer and they said that it would cost money.

Not sure which foot to stand on here.

But I think Porsche should do it for free since I have to pay for new tires because of a design flaw.
Actually i think Porsche should pay at least half the tire cost as well.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:02 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

FWIW:

To left: My car, adjusted by Porsche to adress the rubbing issue.
To the right: An RS that was on display by Porsche at the WEC@Nürburgring.

The pictures are taken from slightly different angles but nevertheless...

Old 08-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 970 Posts

It'll be very interesting to see what's done with fender clearance on the GT2 RS. Or to put it another way, what good is an adjustable suspension if you can't use it?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nizer
Or to put it another way, what good is an adjustable suspension if you can't use it?
Exactly...
The mule sits really low in some of the pictures.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

My head mechanic has promised to keep pushing to have the damaged parts replaced. They won't cost a fortune, but this should not happen and be covered.

They found that my car is 1cm below factory spec at the rear. Since I did not have that changed, they concluded it must be the car setting itself through use. A centimetre seems much but who am I to argue. I could put it up again, but at the moment the rubbing issues seem to have stopped. I just hear a funny clicking noise in long, slow corners (like Brussels at Spa). I wonder what that could be.

Overal, I must say what an AWESOME machine though. Just cannot get enough of it. Think I will just fit stiffer springs at the front and then it will be perfect.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mika911
I just hear a funny clicking noise in long, slow corners (like Brussels at Spa).

From the front?

I have the same on my RS: I had something similar on my 997 GT3 and it was the head of the bolts that holds the brake disk that touched the heat shield that sits behind the disk.
One reason for this can be that you've got rubber between the heatshield and the upright so the heat shield is pushed towards the bolt heads.
Another thing that it can be is the wheel bearings.

I havn't looked into it on my RS yet.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

^^ I've had that clicking, it was never the bearings.
Hasn't been a problem.

Quick Reply: Setup numbers RS