996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

200,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sort of thread is bad news everyone will want one with this sort of tittle tattle!

- But well done anyway 200 000 in a Porsche 'good news does travel fast'
Old 06-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Remember, we are talking about percentages. We teased my Grandmother that smoking was going to kill her at her 97th birthday party. But smoking did kill my Dad at the age of 72. So which is the right answer?

Same thing with maintenance. The guy that sees the most M96 engine failures says that IMS, AOS and water pump failure are 3 common causes. So it's a reasonable deduction that proactively changing these on a maintenance schedule will reduce your chance of engine failure. It doesn't mean that they WILL fail. It just means you are significantly decreasing your odds of losing an engine to them. Each person has to assess their own tolerance for perceived risk and make the choice that is right for them.

I will say that people who have lost their engine to an AOS failure are probably more likely to replace their AOS every 3 years (two if tracking) than people who haven't. And they will probably continue to do so no matter how many "200k mile" threads appear.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Rob, MOST EXCELLENT!

I cannot tell you how good your car's achievement makes me feel about my own 2000 C4 Cab tip with just a measely 136k on the clock.

I have had more maintenance expense than you, however my car is older and I don't drive it after the first of December until April or May every year.

Have done: alternator, water pump, both at about 125k. Had to swap out the tip tranny and AOS at about 100k.

The tranny always had some thing wrong with it and I should have pushed the issue when the car was under warranty, but it was a very infrequent and somewhat minor event that ultimately presaged a bad input shaft bearing. They don't repair the tips at the dealer, they replace them.

I am putting her into the shop in a couple of weeks for an overall checkup and will very likely do the IMS upgrade at that time......I am quite surprised to hear you have had no issues with the timing chain tensioner guides.

I am delighted you have proof these cars can go long distances, though you are prolly correct that you purchased a unicorn version.

GREAT stuff!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:26 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,919 Likes on 2,907 Posts

nice RIAD - With 110K on my C4S, this is great news - proper care and preventative maintenance goes a long waaaaay.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:29 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
nice RIAD - With 110K on my C4S, this is great news - proper care and preventative maintenance goes a long waaaaay.
... Plus drive the heck out of it!
T
Old 06-02-2016, 03:48 PM
mayday1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear the 996 can go 200K miles without engine work or without
replacing the IMSB.

I was thinking that the IMS is submerged in oil at rest, so when the
bearing seal leaks a little, the hollow shaft will be filled with oil,
and likely dirty oil. A quick drain and refill is not likely to change
much of the dirty oil inside the hollow shaft.

When I did my oil change I also dropped the oil pan and wiped everything
dry. But I left it dry for a couple of weeks. During those two weeks
there was an additional few ounces of oil dripped from the engine.
I wonder if that oil came from the IMS hollow shaft.

If it did, then leaving the engine free of oil for extended period
before re-fillling may allow the dirty oil inside the IMS to drain, get
clean oil back into the IMS bearing. Inconvenient, but something
I'm willing to do to if it saves changing the IMSB every few years.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:19 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gretch
I am delighted you have proof these cars can go long distances, though you are prolly correct that you purchased a unicorn version.
There is a 40AE with an equally impressive ODO. My entreaties to him to post details rather than the occasional shot of his cluster have fallen on deaf ears though

I don't think these high milage cars are unicorns so much as most owners balk at the idea of putting so many miles on a 911. Of course being a place to get help, we also hear far more about the problem cars than the ones that just keep right on cruising.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:37 PM
dvs3.6
Advanced

Originally Posted by gnat
There is a 40AE with an equally impressive ODO. My entreaties to him to post details rather than the occasional shot of his cluster have fallen on deaf ears though

I don't think these high milage cars are unicorns so much as most owners balk at the idea of putting so many miles on a 911. Of course being a place to get help, we also hear far more about the problem cars than the ones that just keep right on cruising.
Well said, nice change of pace from all the negative news we read about on this forum.

congrats to the OP!
Old 06-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Youri Ko
Racer

Originally Posted by mayday1
.... Inconvenient, but something
I'm willing to do to if it saves changing the IMSB every few years.
Sounds logical. Dont forget, there is also a "pop the seal" route which I personally subscribe too.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 PM
dallison28
Pro

Congrats on 200k. How do you keep your top in good shape through the winters? That is one reason why i don't drive mine in the winter.
I caught this after i was parked.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:55 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Wow, congrats!

Originally Posted by Riad
There it is... bought the C4S Cab new in 2004, best 200,000 miles I've ever driven.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Damn it, I have some catch up to do! Stupid notifications are not sending me an e-mail for this thread, but I get notifications for threads that are 13 years old... anyway!

Originally Posted by Carsly
Great work! Now only 300K or so to catch that 996 Turbo from Panorama last year
I plan on it!!

Sorry, meant we hadn't broken 20k total, not just about tires. Though I am now realizing that I was forgetting its newest wheels. Those took us over 20k...

Still it's been a good run with long stretches of just needing fluids!

Like you, we're in it for life. Having a 911 was her childhood dream and I'm glad I could do it for her. It is also responsible for my Cayenne which I hope to have just as long
Exactly. I do want a new 991.2 Targa but I'll never get rid of this 996 unless something catastrophic happens.

Originally Posted by docmirror
So - you got 'er broke in now.

Well done.
LOL, yup!

Originally Posted by johnireland
Great stuff, thank you. Do you use the hard top in winter? How has the soft top held up for you? I've been thinking about getting a hard top, not for California weather, but to sneak into some track days. I was going to give my other car some exercise tonight but your put me back in my 2000 cab instead.

Best wishes.
I used my hard top the first year I had the car in 2004, then never put it on again. Not only does it add another 75lbs to the car, which I can feel but it also prevents me from dropping the top on those nice Jan days where the temp hits 55 and it's sunny.

Originally Posted by jyoteen
NICE!

Mine almost got there. It will once again.

Any track time?
Never tracked it, never will. I do want to track a Porsche but would probably go with an older C4 that I can gut and put a roll cage in and other mods to make it just for the track. Right now I'm very hesitant to do that because I just don't have the time to dedicate to it.

Originally Posted by dgjks6
You, my friend, are my hero. 200K original owner. Wow.

Keep going. Maybe at 300k Porsche will buy it from you for a museum.
Maybe!! LOL.

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Very cool...good luck with the new biz Riad.
Thank you! Much work, no time.

Originally Posted by Mike_A
Hey Rob....I thought I saw that ratty old car , one wheel folded under, going down 17 sitting on a flatbed driven by some clown with a beard , curls and a wide brimmed black hat
Don't get me started.

Originally Posted by stasha
Riad,
Great to hear that you hit 200K with the only engine work being a preventive RMS change, coincidental with clutch work.
We're at about 175K, no IMS change; head gasket purportedly replaced around 150/160K being the only engine work.

Are you planning any other preventive engine work, or just going to drive until a problem arises?

There is considerable bantering on this forum about the necessity of replacing IMSB every 60K (or is it 75K) miles -- to avoid catastrophic engine failure.
Obviously, you are flying in the face of convention.
What's your thinking for the future?

Thanks.
The only preventative maintenance is oil changes every 3,000 miles or so. And I had Porsche do the major server at 100k and 200k, that's it.

Originally Posted by alpine003
He may just come from the old school thought that some of us have(not many here) where they don't fix something that isn't broke. There's a refreshing concept.
That's pretty much it!

Hey Hacker, if you are watching can you change the title of the thread to "What happens when you actually drive your car" and make it a sticky?

More importantly, I think, is that he obviously subscribes to the "just drive the damn thing!" school of 996 maintenance
Seriously, I really do believe these cars need to be driven.

Originally Posted by zerogt86
Awesome! I hope mine makes it that far.
Keep driving it!!

Originally Posted by porsche951
Congrats on getting your moneys worh
So worth it. Car still puts a smile on my face, even after 12 years.

Originally Posted by Howaboutthat
Good for you! How often do you replace the water pump?
I only replaced the water pump once.

Originally Posted by Oil_Slickrick
This sort of thread is bad news everyone will want one with this sort of tittle tattle!

- But well done anyway 200 000 in a Porsche 'good news does travel fast'
Exactly!

Originally Posted by Slakker
Remember, we are talking about percentages. We teased my Grandmother that smoking was going to kill her at her 97th birthday party. But smoking did kill my Dad at the age of 72. So which is the right answer?

Same thing with maintenance. The guy that sees the most M96 engine failures says that IMS, AOS and water pump failure are 3 common causes. So it's a reasonable deduction that proactively changing these on a maintenance schedule will reduce your chance of engine failure. It doesn't mean that they WILL fail. It just means you are significantly decreasing your odds of losing an engine to them. Each person has to assess their own tolerance for perceived risk and make the choice that is right for them.

I will say that people who have lost their engine to an AOS failure are probably more likely to replace their AOS every 3 years (two if tracking) than people who haven't. And they will probably continue to do so no matter how many "200k mile" threads appear.
I only replaced my water pump when it failed, and I think that was around 100,000 miles or so.

Originally Posted by Gretch
Rob, MOST EXCELLENT!

I cannot tell you how good your car's achievement makes me feel about my own 2000 C4 Cab tip with just a measely 136k on the clock.

I have had more maintenance expense than you, however my car is older and I don't drive it after the first of December until April or May every year.

Have done: alternator, water pump, both at about 125k. Had to swap out the tip tranny and AOS at about 100k.

The tranny always had some thing wrong with it and I should have pushed the issue when the car was under warranty, but it was a very infrequent and somewhat minor event that ultimately presaged a bad input shaft bearing. They don't repair the tips at the dealer, they replace them.

I am putting her into the shop in a couple of weeks for an overall checkup and will very likely do the IMS upgrade at that time......I am quite surprised to hear you have had no issues with the timing chain tensioner guides.

GREAT stuff!
Thanks Gretch. Never had an issue with timing chain guides! I really do think Porsche makes great vehicles - not many Ferrari's could go 200k miles with just regular maintenance.

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Yes!! Drive it and enjoy!!

I highlighted this because it's spot on. You come here for help, so you see a lot of people with issues. It's not the majority of the ownership experience, no way.

Originally Posted by dallison28
Congrats on 200k. How do you keep your top in good shape through the winters? That is one reason why i don't drive mine in the winter.
I caught this after i was parked.

LOL! Nice. One time a few years ago I used a Scotch Guard soft top spray... can't remember which one, but other than that the top is perfect. And I drive it all winter, so they do make a great top!
Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Wow, congrats!
Thank you!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:37 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Riad
The only preventative maintenance is oil changes every 3,000 miles or so. And I had Porsche do the major server at 100k and 200k, that's it.
There you have it folks, for all the suckers putting in $5k/year on pm.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:07 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
There you have it folks, for all the suckers putting in $5k/year on pm.
I think there is only one well documented fool that spent that kind of time/money on PM. Most with the high yearly bills are just catching up on poor maintenance of the past or dealing with the results of the car doing too much sitting.

Rob has the benefit that very few of us have any more. He knows how the car has been treated and taken care of it's entire life. There is no guess work which it makes it much easier when deciding if something should be done or not.

And to be fair, where he has "saved" on PM costs he has more than made up for in the costs of putting so many miles on it (tires, fluids, brakes, etc..). So it really comes out close to a wash I expect, though I would bet on him getting far more enjoyment for the dollars spent
Old 06-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I really can't see replacing something that isn't broken. Especially something like a water pump. It dies, you pull over and have it towed to your favorite shop and get it replaced.

And I certainly wouldn't equate spending money on parts that aren't broken to normal wear and tear items that get replaced due to driving the car. These cars are so incredibly fun to drive it absolutely ruins you for driving any other car (with the obvious exception of the exotic).

I do agree that owning since it was new is a huge benefit. I know that car inside and out perfectly. When it's not 100% I can just feel it.

Like right now there is a slight shake in the steering wheel when I hit 70mph and continues until about mid 80's... I've brought the car into my indy mechanic and two Porsche dealerships and none of them can find any issue with the wheels/tires/suspension/mounts etc. But I know there's a problem there so I need to find a suspension place because even though it's slight it shouldn't be doing that.

Quick Reply: 200,000 miles