993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Door Pocket Attachment Reinforcement

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 01:51 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
....I could even send you the 12"x12" ABS 1/4" I bought if you can fabricate more parts from it...unless shipping it is crazy expensive...
Thank you for the generous offer. However, I can get a 12x12x.177" (roughly 3/16") piece delivered to my door for something like $8. Hopefully someone locally can find a use for your 1/4" piece.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:16 AM
911LeeN
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

By my count, the remaining 4 are spoken for, so I'm in on the next batch, if it happens. Thanks! I have hi-fi pockets...

PM sent in case any prior confirmations fall through!
Old 04-16-2016, 08:05 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by BesideTheBox
Rough dimensions are in post #11
Once I saw the dimensions in inches my brain went to mush. I did everything in mm because the Germans would have done it that way originally and all the modeling programs use metric. I'll assume that the width of the pocket is the same but the stepped area is 5-6x times the width of my stepped area, which extends well past the mounting point of the screw. I also will assume that the hole for the screw is in the same place.

Depth is another big difference as well. My inserts are 5cm deep into the pocket.

Here is a comparison of the general shape of the Hifi against my non-hifi insert. This isn't even close as I'm just doing this by eye.

Non-Hifi

Hifi

Considerable.

G
Old 04-16-2016, 09:36 AM
Sandia man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've lost track of the multiple posts and options. I would like to sign up for a set of Gmorats version if still available. How to proceed from here?
Old 04-16-2016, 09:46 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sandia man
I've lost track of the multiple posts and options. I would like to sign up for a set of Gmorats version if still available. How to proceed from here?
This is simple enough.

Do you have the Hifi option? Mine won't fit.

Do you NOT have the Hifi option? Step right up!

G

P.S I could work on a Hifi option but 1. I don't have a car to measure it against and 2. There are other options so that market is covered.

Now, if someone was to remove their pocket and ship it to me for a couple of weeks, this would be a different story.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:50 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default 3D Printed vs. Cut From Sheet

Here are a couple of comparisons between gmorat's 3D printed door pocket reinforcement CAD drawings and my door pocket reinforcements cut from sheet ABS.

If someone would send me the dimensions of the flat area where the screw goes through the non-Hi-Fi (standard) door pocket, I could easily produce a low-brow ABS sheet product.

One question comes to mind - does the low-brow version need to extend to the bottom of the door pocket? Gmorat's standard piece is about 5cm deep while my Hi-Fi piece is only 3.5cm deep.

I felt my Hi-Fi piece required the shoulder because the hole is relatively close to the 'zig'.
The standard pocket seems to have plenty of area around the screw hole, so a low-brow solution would not require any shoulder at all.

I just need dimensions. And someone willing to test it. Locally is my preference.

Above: Hi-Fi door pocket reinforcement comparison. Gmorat's CAD drawing on the left, my ABS sheet solution on the right.

Above: Standard door pocket reinforcement comparison. Gmorat's CAD drawing on the left, my proposed simple rectangle solution on the right (no shoulder required) that would (mostly) fill the rectangular area where the screw goes.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:59 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default This is what Hi-Fi and standard door pockets look like

For the people that are new to 993s:

Above: Hi-Fi door pocket.

Below: Standard / non-HiFi door pocket (courtesy of Grendel911)

Last edited by BesideTheBox; 03-21-2021 at 12:31 PM. Reason: add picture of standard door panel
Old 04-16-2016, 01:28 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

For the people that are new to 993s:

Above: Hi-Fi door pocket.
Some of the componentry must project into the pocket requiring the redesign.

It's 5cm down on mine because I thought that was the most appealing but it doesn't have to be.

G
Old 04-16-2016, 07:46 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

7cmx5cm for the whole piece. In typical germanic fashion, the raised bit at the end is 1cm wide and the step-down happens over 5mm or so.

G

Here are a couple of comparisons between gmorat's 3D printed door pocket reinforcement CAD drawings and my door pocket reinforcements cut from sheet ABS.

If someone would send me the dimensions of the flat area where the screw goes through the non-Hi-Fi (standard) door pocket, I could easily produce a low-brow ABS sheet product.

One question comes to mind - does the low-brow version need to extend to the bottom of the door pocket? Gmorat's standard piece is about 5cm deep while my Hi-Fi piece is only 3.5cm deep.

I felt my Hi-Fi piece required the shoulder because the hole is relatively close to the 'zig'.
The standard pocket seems to have plenty of area around the screw hole, so a low-brow solution would not require any shoulder at all.

I just need dimensions. And someone willing to test it. Locally is my preference.

Above: Hi-Fi door pocket reinforcement comparison. Gmorat's CAD drawing on the left, my ABS sheet solution on the right.

Above: Standard door pocket reinforcement comparison. Gmorat's CAD drawing on the left, my proposed simple rectangle solution on the right (no shoulder required) that would (mostly) fill the rectangular area where the screw goes.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:05 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

BesideTheBox,
I might not have made the list for the remaining ones, but if anyone drops since these are HiFi, let me know since I DO have HiFi.

Originally Posted by gmorat
Some of the componentry must project into the pocket requiring the redesign.
Yes, directly under the small tray is part of the HiFi speaker box and there is a red/orange connector on top of that. I seem to recall the connector went to some thing (EQ or crossover?) from reading posts, but its long gone in my car... Sorry for the craptastic pic, but best I had. I was inspired by BesideTheBox and gmorat's work to rip the pockets off and see what is under there! With the standard "while I'm in there" that goes along with such projects, its time to upgrade speakers, since the small ones fall apart when I touched them and I have a hole in the drivers larger speaker....
Old 04-17-2016, 12:15 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default Hi-Fi Door Pocket Reinforcements

Here is the list of people that I plan to ship out to on Monday and I will PM a PayPal link Monday evening.
If my enemy (time) gets in the way, then this will shift to Tuesday.
  1. csmab
  2. Todynot
  3. gavonder
  4. Russ in VA
  5. Jlaa
  6. GBX
  7. kjr914
  8. nine9six
  9. Brig993
  10. 911LeeN
  11. ilko (gratis)
  12. uniquenamehere (later ship date)
Although the number in the list doesn't add up to 16, I am still waiting to hear back from a few people whether they have Hi-Fi door pockets or not.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:25 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

I'd like a set
Old 04-17-2016, 11:36 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBen
I'd like a set
I think I can fit you in. You do have the Hi-Fi door pockets?
If so, PM me your street address. If I get that this evening, I will send yours out with the rest (hopefully tomorrow, Monday, but might be Tuesday).
I will PM you with my PayPal link for $10 payment Monday or Tuesday evening.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:37 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default Hi-Fi door pocket reinforcements available

I have one set of Hi-Fi door pocket reinforcements available for sure.
I might have a second set available depending on whether magicscott has Hi-Fi door pockets or not - still waiting to hear back from him.

So, I'm looking for two interested parties.
Cost is $10, includes shipping to the US.
First post here so others know how many have indicated interest.
Second send me a PM with your shipping address.
See post #66 to this thread for details.

BTB
Old 04-19-2016, 03:38 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I have one set of Hi-Fi door pocket reinforcements available for sure.
I might have a second set available depending on whether magicscott has Hi-Fi door pockets or not - still waiting to hear back from him.

So, I'm looking for two interested parties.
Cost is $10, includes shipping to the US.
First post here so others know how many have indicated interest.
Second send me a PM with your shipping address.
See post #66 to this thread for details.

BTB
Hey there!

I'm late to the party, but I'd love a set. I have Hi-Fi Door Pockets.

PM sent.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 993 Door Pocket Attachment Reinforcement