996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New 996 Owner. 1st Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 12:29 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just finished a full day at The Ridge for the PCANW Opener. What an awesome group, I love seeing Shay, Curt, Olly, Ed, and everyone I'm forgetting.

Go get a proper corner balance.

I was driving the #$% out of the car today. On a much colder day and on a much colder track I brought my best lap time down nearly 2 seconds and consistently got close.

Video to come soon!
Old 04-11-2016, 02:50 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Here's a 360 video of me trying to keep up with a friends 991 GT3:

For 360° Effect - watch in YouTube App on iOS or Android, or watch using Chrome on a Mac/PC.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:51 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Brakes did their job over the past three events. Check out the scorching on the front pads! I zapped them with my pyrometer at over 400* at the end of a session. No fade all day and the fluid came out clear! I think I'll start bleeding after each event just to be double sure.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:48 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I would be interested in seeing pics of your new piston seals after a few track events when it's been heat cycled a few times and if it still remains pliable.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Rusty Heap
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vandersmith
Here's a 360 video of me trying to keep up with a friends 991 GT3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcwsWWOH2FQ

For 360° Effect - watch in YouTube App on iOS or Android, or watch using Chrome on a Mac/PC.

awesome video, what lens did you use?

I was fixated by watching your Big red Key Fob Handle fling side to side as a G-force indicator.

hey, tell us more, "what is that LED rpm gauge indicator strip above your steering column but below the dash cluster?" very F1 like!

Is it more a help for peripheral vision rpm monitoring, or a bling factor? Maybe also a distraction at times? review and weblink of that LED bar cluster?

and you done a nice good seating of the brake pads now!
Old 04-12-2016, 03:45 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by alpine003
I would be interested in seeing pics of your new piston seals after a few track events when it's been heat cycled a few times and if it still remains pliable.
It'll be really interesting to see what they look like compared to this when they were brand new. Last night when I swapped in the street pads they felt an looked fine. Really glad I went with the high temps!

Originally Posted by Rusty Heap
awesome video, what lens did you use?
Its a Kodak SP360 4K. Super easy to use and edit. Love it so far!

Watching your red key handle fling side to side made for a G-force indicator.
Never noticed that before! Actually works pretty good too. I'll have a video up with actual Gs, RPMs, Brake, Throttle, Gear, etc. soon once I figure out the Aim Solo software overlays.

What is that LED rpm gauge indicator strip?
Its an iShift RPM gauge and is very useful. You preset everything, when the green lights come on, where redline is, when to flash, etc. It currently is set to start the first green light at 3500 rpm with redline set to around 6900. Over revs in this car prematurely kill motors. I look down track as much as possible and the visual aid is actually pretty helpful. Only thing I'd change is if I could somehow set it up in HUD configuration.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:20 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Little more protection:

Old 04-12-2016, 06:02 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm so glad I found this thread!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:12 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

By the way, thank you so much for sharing the rotor hat drawings!

Will these work for a c2 or only a c4? I'd like to follow the route you did, but just want to make sure I won't run into clearance issues.

I have a cnc lathe at work that can make these to a much tighter tolerance in a matter of minutes. Is there any interest from others here? Drawing calls for 6061, but will probably go with 7075.

Last edited by sweet victory; 04-12-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Ya, I love this thread and build. You've done a great job and thanks for keeping us updated.

Quick question, did you go with the flat iShift and mount it just behind the hump on the steering column or the rounded one and mount it on the hump?

Thx!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:52 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Rotors: Will these work for a c2 or only a c4? I'd like to follow the route you did, but just want to make sure I won't run into clearance issues.
These are C4S/Turbo only. The C2/C4 have different spindles with different caliper mounts and rotor offsets. In the most basic terms, I put on OEM 996 GT3 Calipers with spacers for the rear calipers, and OEM sized 997 Turbo rotors (albeit custom two piece). I really don't know what would work for narrow body brakes but its not the same as this.

Originally Posted by Slakker
Quick question, did you go with the flat iShift and mount it just behind the hump on the steering column or the rounded one and mount it on the hump?
Both the flat and the rounded have a flat bottom and mount with basic double sided tape. I went with the rounded and mounted it just in front/behind the bump on the plastic so that the wheel can still fully telescope in and out without hitting the shift light. There are probably photos of this a few pages back that show it better
Old 04-12-2016, 07:00 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

These are C4S/Turbo only. The C2/C4 have different spindles with different caliper mounts and rotor offsets. In the most basic terms, I put on OEM 996 GT3 Calipers with spacers for the rear calipers, and OEM sized 997 Turbo rotors (albeit custom two piece). I really don't know what would work for narrow body brakes but its not the same as this.

Ah, gotchya. I'm no where near the skill level to need these brakes anytime soon. I'll have to do my own homework. Thank you for sharing none the less!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:04 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Ah, gotchya. I'm no where near the skill level to need these brakes anytime soon. I'll have to do my own homework. Thank you for sharing none the less!
Happy to share. The stock brakes are fantastic. A good set of pads and fresh fluid is more than enough!

Don't let my build sway you into thinking you need to spend money to enjoy your car. You really don't. As an example, if you look at the latest 991 Carrera S's they still use 340mm front rotors and 330mm rears!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,743 Likes on 2,832 Posts

C4S big reds are more than adequate for road driving - i'd imagine race track speeds of 120-140mph would require something more substantial
Old 04-12-2016, 07:42 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Happy to share. The stock brakes are fantastic. A good set of pads and fresh fluid is more than enough!

Don't let my build sway you into thinking you need to spend money to enjoy your car. You really don't. As an example, if you look at the latest 991 Carrera S's they still use 340mm front rotors and 330mm rears!
I gotchya. I don't have an excuse other than I have the cnc machines to make this stuff and I was planning on getting new rotors/pads soon anyways.

Quick Reply: New 996 Owner. 1st Porsche.