996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New 996 Owner. 1st Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very impressive build.... If I can even do half the mods you have done, I will be a happy camper
Old 01-29-2016, 03:15 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Coleman Racing delivered!

The Goods

OEM 997T Front Rotor Weight

Coleman Racing Front Rotor - 6 lbs less!

OEM 997T Rear Rotor Weight

Coleman Racing Rear Rotor - 4 lbs less!

Artsy Fartsy
Old 02-18-2016, 05:03 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Dropped the GT3 calipers with John at Goldline Brakes for their overhaul. Racing Brake's upgraded stainless pistons and high temp seals are getting installed.

Rotors are put together now and ready to go. Should be on the car within a week!
Old 02-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Eviltangents
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colin, I can't wait to see your car at a local event. Well done.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:56 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Eviltangents
Colin, I can't wait to see your car at a local event. Well done.
Are you heading out to the PCANW car clinic in Bremerton on Sat?

I'll be there!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Eviltangents
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vandersmith
Are you heading out to the PCANW car clinic in Bremerton on Sat?

I'll be there!
I won't be there this Saturday unfortunately. My plan is to attend the 3/12 clinic then maybe the April DE event.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:52 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Default Brakes - The Beginning

Got the call from John at Goldline that the Calipers were ready. Couldn't believe how they turned out.

The new seals and pistons from RacingBrake looked great by themselves, it wasn't until they got into John's hands that they really began to look incredible.

I elected not to have them repainted based on how good they look now and the turnaround time/cost to get them to perfect. This car is about go so I don't mind a few chips here and there. Every consumable on this car is going to see a lot of use, no sense in paying a lot more for aesthetics when the performance remains the same.

New Front High-Temp Seals and SS Pistons from Racing Brake

New Rear High-Temp Seals and SS Pistons from Racing Brake

Hawk Pads for the Street

Pagid RS29 Front and Rear for the Track

Assembly Begins!

More to come later this week!

Last edited by vandersmith; 02-22-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:41 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Quick shot of my dog to hold everyone over until the next big update:

Old 02-25-2016, 03:15 AM
vandersmith
Pro

1st Year of Ownership Complete!

Quick teaser shot:

Last edited by vandersmith; 02-25-2016 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:57 AM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default just got a 04 996 40th AE but got some worry some news from the mechanic

Hi all, I'm new to 996 community previously owned a 944 T. Last week after couple of months of search I got a seemingly clean 996 40th AE. Pre purchase inspection didn't reveal much, except leaking valve cover gasket, rear wiper didn't work and clutch seemed on its way out. With that in mind I made an offer and a bought that car. The seller had the gasket replaced prior to me picking up the car. The next day I took the car to my freinds porsche shop for IMS/clutch job. And that's when I got some distubbing news, when he removed the undercarriage panels he found alot of corrosion on suspension components . He suspects water damage. Checked inside the vehicle seems okay under carpets but seat rails appear painted. In addition the rear wiper motor is completely corroded. Now I have a dilemma keep the car fix it and drive it or confront the seller and get my money back. The title was clean as the car fax also. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks
Old 02-25-2016, 08:11 AM
TAXFREE
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leon yagudayev
Hi all, I'm new to 996 community previously owned a 944 T. Last week after couple of months of search I got a seemingly clean 996 40th AE. Pre purchase inspection didn't reveal much, except leaking valve cover gasket, rear wiper didn't work and clutch seemed on its way out. With that in mind I made an offer and a bought that car. The seller had the gasket replaced prior to me picking up the car. The next day I took the car to my freinds porsche shop for IMS/clutch job. And that's when I got some distubbing news, when he removed the undercarriage panels he found alot of corrosion on suspension components . He suspects water damage. Checked inside the vehicle seems okay under carpets but seat rails appear painted. In addition the rear wiper motor is completely corroded. Now I have a dilemma keep the car fix it and drive it or confront the seller and get my money back. The title was clean as the car fax also. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks

Start a new thread, but your stuck with the car. Previous owner will most likely deny knowledge of any issues. And unless stated on the bill of sale an "as is sale"
Old 02-25-2016, 08:32 AM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=TAXFREE;13049802]Start a new thread, but your stuck with the car. Previous owner will most likely deny knowledge of any issues. And unless stated on the bill of sale an "as is sale"[/QUOTE
Thanks for a reply . I really like the car and probably just keep it. I called the seller and he asked for a written report from the mechanic. My concern is how problematic in future the corrosion might be. How do i start a new thread?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:07 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

This build over the last year has been a great thread to follow. I bow down before you. I feel like such a mope as I have picked up a few parts but wussed out installing because it's winter and I have an unheated garage.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:08 AM
jhynesrockmtn
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks great. I'll look forward to seeing it at some point. John has done the calipers on a few of my cars including my street 914 last year. I'm hoping to go through the PCA instructors process at some point and would love to get over there for an event.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:34 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice upgrade. I almost went the ss piston/high temp seal route too but just ended up keeping my ceramic pucks in place on my PCCB gt3 calipers.

Im gonna have to monitor this and see how you like the Coleman rotors long term. I've never considered those before but might now.

Good thing for 997tt availability when it comes to consumables.

Also 380's seem tempting but probably overkill with the amount of power our cars have not to mention 19's.

Quick Reply: New 996 Owner. 1st Porsche.