Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking out a genuine 89 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:27 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

They......repainted........a silver rose????? WTH! I hope that was years and years ago, when at least they might have the excuse of not having google. And not knowing what they had...
Old 03-24-2016, 10:25 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

Wow! Not easy to do a nice job on a color change on our cars unless you take it fully part. Did they do the engine compartment, door jams, under hatch, in red? Agreed, what a shame.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:54 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Who the hell would re-paint a Siver Rose and on top of that re-do the interior? It's akin to re-painting the Mona Lisa just because somebody didn't like the background.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:40 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ACSGP
On another note, this seems a pretty comprehensive PPI list. Overkill?

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/yab...num=1298752427
Not at all..... I think this is a great guide done up by a supremely knowledgeable forum subscriber, both here and on other Forums. I have known Derek for a long time and feel he is with out a doubt one of the best in the 944 world.
He also is involved in 914s, 924s, 911s, as well as the 944. He has a Lamborghini Jalpa he is also writing about as he restores it to new. Believe me, it will be beyond perfect when complete.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 03-25-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:43 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

If I was keeping a Siberrosa then I would definitely swap out that interior and put the plaid/burgundy stuff in storage so I could put it back in if I ever sold the car.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that interior hurts my brain.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:24 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

who would put in a gucci-themed interior?? apparently, someone wanted something very individual (their vision) and decided a silver rose car was a good starting point. i'd be sure to check/verify the rest of the car thoroughly based on the prior.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:02 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does a Silver Rose command a premium over a regular Turbo S, all things being equal? And I know it's hard to step away from the enthusiast's view, but does it have a cache of say a 964 30 Jahre. No need to compare to any RS in 911 form, that's a no-brainer.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:05 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
who would put in a gucci-themed interior?? apparently, someone wanted something very individual (their vision) and decided a silver rose car was a good starting point. i'd be sure to check/verify the rest of the car thoroughly based on the prior.
Love your pic. Modern Fuchsfelge? If I do buy the 944, I'll stick the 18" version on it.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

So does a Silver Rose command a premium over a regular Turbo S, all things being equal? And I know it's hard to step away from the enthusiast's view, but does it have a cache of say a 964 30 Jahre. No need to compare to any RS in 911 form, that's a no-brainer.
Every one I have encountered does. Maybe not a ''ghetto troll" with all the good stuff eradicated, but IF you have the serial number and the build code tags proving it is real, it can be made whole again.

Just VERY expensively. And maybe not quite perfectly. The new cloth is a bit different in comparison and not a perfect match from what has been sleuthed out by others.

They have their ardent followers just like collectors of any scarce Porsche does. The 911 market is Rabid right now, so maybe the two are an unfair comparison....

I sure wouldn't pass up a stellar example, personally. As I said before, I LOVE them.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:33 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, Silver rose was the most common of the Turbo S colors, followed by G red, alpine white, Black, M red, stone grey, Z silver, almond (2), and one rare ocean blue. In the scheme of collect-ability rarity matters.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:39 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by carlege
No, Silver rose was the most common of the Turbo S colors, followed by G red, alpine white, Black, M red, stone grey, Z silver, almond (2), and one rare ocean blue. In the scheme of collect-ability rarity matters.
Few folks care about the numbers..... until you get to the one of one or one of four category.

The Silberossa was a 'Package' which was unique and most collectors of this car year are concerned with that and not a 1 of several handfuls made. I think we are confusing Rarity with Desirability and thus demand.

Do you know anyone willing to forego a purchase of lets say a perfect Guards Red car because he is holding out to get an Almond one ? I don't.

I do Know of folks looking for Silver Rose cars who could care less if a one of two or one of 12 car production may pop up and spoil the pursuit.

Perhaps this is far reaching into the realm of subjectivity and personal desire on any Porsche Purchaser's behalf. I cannot speak to that which may be in one person's mind more than another's. I am only speaking to that which I see occurring in the marketplace around me. And, desire is VERY strongly appearing in pursuit of Silberossa cars despite the higher number made, while I know of no one stating: "WOW, PLEASE find me an Almond car ...."

your mileage may vary
Old 03-31-2016, 03:55 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Few folks care about the numbers..... until you get to the one of one or one of four category.

The Silberossa was a 'Package' which was unique and most collectors of this car year are concerned with that and not a 1 of several handfuls made. I think we are confusing Rarity with Desirability and thus demand.

Do you know anyone willing to forego a purchase of lets say a perfect Guards Red car because he is holding out to get an Almond one ? I don't.

I do Know of folks looking for Silver Rose cars who could care less if a one of two or one of 12 car production may pop up and spoil the pursuit.

Perhaps this is far reaching into the realm of subjectivity and personal desire on any Porsche Purchaser's behalf. I cannot speak to that which may be in one person's mind more than another's. I am only speaking to that which I see occurring in the marketplace around me. And, desire is VERY strongly appearing in pursuit of Silberossa cars despite the higher number made, while I know of no one stating: "WOW, PLEASE find me an Almond car ...."

your mileage may vary
i wouldnt go out of my way for an almond car, how i read it the "S" was an option you could select, perhaps the interesting interior was just what the exterior color was paired with as opposed to part of the "package" similar to red cars with black interior. I wasnt walking into dealerships in 1988 so maybe someone could chime in. I think im right simply because you dont see Silver rose cars with black interior from the factory.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:14 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have to agree with Mr green jean. The turbo s to my knowledge was only available in silver rose until late in the run. I think most people (myself included) would consider the silver rose to be the one to have as it is what Porsche originally had the car design to be.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:58 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

The first one I saw was at a Porsche Parade the summer the car was introduced. I remember speaking with the owner.

In 1988, the first production turbos ( known by me and many others as the '88.1 ) was built beginning in the summer to late fall of 1987. These were the traditional 217 h.p. cars.

Mid model year, the 247 h.p. variant was introduced and was labeled as the turbo S in advertisements and dealer promotional material from Porsche. The first production cars of the new model turbo S were ALL Silberossa cars and known (as they are labeled on their Owner's Manual/Warranty books in the glove box as the 1988.2 model). At the end of production of these first Silver Rose cars which ONLY came with the burgundy cloth plaid interior and burgundy plush carpeting, was an allowance made to continue building the 247 hp car called a turbo S. Choices of colors were once again a part of the normal production schedule and plan. At least this is the story I was told...... it's the version I remember and have spoken to other owners and it was confirmed by them as well, both back in the day and thru the years.

After Porsche built this special Silberossa Package and option group ( curiously NOT part of the Jubilee/ Celebration group of special colored 911, 924, and 944 cars -- but VERY similar in patterns and content, which was VERY loaded up ) and the small group of various colored cars was made, the 1989 - 951 went into production with the exact same h.p. and torque rating, all colors available, NO patterned cloth colors like the 'rose version into North America, and now once again being referred to by Porsche as simply the 944 turbo or 951 model. Even tho they were supposedly all M030 optioned cars and produced in a small quantity for North America, roughly around 1400 units.

And, these cars as well have proven to be very desirable, like the other turbo S models, but nothing like the desirability the Silver Rose seemingly has earned. I own one of these '89 turbos and love it greatly. I would wish to as well own a Silberossa if it was in the same comparable condition: low mileage with a history of originality retained, and loving ownership with a pedigree of mechanical attention and care.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 03-31-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:16 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

unlike the True "Silberossa", a close facsimile thereof ~

Quick Reply: Checking out a genuine 89 Turbo S