Sponsored by:

GTS Wheel and Detail questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:14 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTS Wheel and Detail questions

So the weather was finally nice enough to wash the GTS for the first time on my own. I really enjoy doing it but these centerlocks are a bitch. Well worth the trouble, but I'm looking for any advice I can get on the best way to do it.

My hand barely fits in the openings to clean the inner barrel, how is everyone else doing it? Long wheel wooly brush after spraying it down with a wheel cleaner? This leads me to my next question, I heard Meguiars non acid wheel cleaner is good, however it stipulates to not use it on non coated aluminum or anodized wheels. When I washed the CLs, I found them not super smooth to the touch, how are they finished? Is there a matte clear coat on top of the paint?

I'd like to hear some good safe options for wheel cleaners and tips on a quicker wheel cleaning.

And would you self detailers recommend a foam gun? If so, why and which one u got?

Thx - Patrick

After a 2 hour wash, really need to cut down that time even though I enjoy it.

Name:  2RhxRKo.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  2.97 MB

Last edited by PatrickC23; 03-30-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:20 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Wheels are a bitch I'm at like 1hr+ just for them. I wish I had ceramics.

I use the same soap as the car. No harsh chemicals and cleaners needed in my opinion.

What can you do? Pimpin ain't easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGRoEfRJSGs&sns=em
Old 03-29-2016, 10:24 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by STG991

I use the same soap as the car. No harsh chemicals and cleaners needed in my opinion.
It looks like yours have larger openings though, I literally cant get every part of the CLs because my hand cant get into every other staggered opening. I was hoping to use some sort of spray wheel cleaner to clean the inner barrel then soap the outer face which I can reach. Even though they are black, the brake dust and roads around me leave a brownish film on the barrels.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:27 PM
STG
Race Director

^^^ one thing I do like are the open style. Easy to get in there. I doubt many guys clean the barrels of the GTS wheels.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:28 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 142 Posts

What can you do? Pimpin ain't easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGRoEfRJSGs&sns=em
Did you paint the rotor hats?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 9914s
Did you paint the rotor hats?
Very observant. Powder coated.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:33 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

First Porsche I've ever owned that wasn't some variation of the 5-spoke design, as below. These are a beeatch! I use a Griot's garage foam-sponge-on-a-stick, specifically for wheel cleaning. You need the long-stick version for the rear barrels. I also clean the faces of the calipers with that.

But basically, I'm just not OCD enough to worry about it. I swipe at the barrels, not worrying about the parts immediately behind spokes, etc. It is what it is. Mostly I just clean the facings of the spokes, but with 20 openings, even that tends to take awhile.

I'm getting mine painted silver next month, but leaving the barrels black. Love the look of mesh style wheels like this, but hate keeping them clean. Maybe need to switch to Wrangler brake pads!

Oh, I also use the Griots spray wheel cleaner. But to be honest, I don't find that any wheel cleaner I've ever used does anything more than soap/water. I've never found a product I didn't still have to scrub with mechanical force to remove the grunge, and if I'm doing that anyway, it hardly matters what chemical I use.

I got a foam gun on somebody's recommendation on here last month, but unless I'm missing something, I'm not really figuring out why. I mean, I spray soap on, but still have to use a sponge, dipped in water from my bucket, to clean the car. So I may as well just dip the sponge in soapy water -- why do I need to have sprayed foam on the car first?

Hopefully somebody will respond with how I'm doing it all wrong and a foam gun is a miracle tool -- I love to be proven wrong when it makes car washing easier!

Talk about easy to wash!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:35 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 142 Posts

Looks awesome.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:41 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
First Porsche I've ever owned that wasn't some variation of the 5-spoke design, as below. These are a beeatch! I use a Griot's garage foam-sponge-on-a-stick, specifically for wheel cleaning. You need the long-stick version for the rear barrels. I also clean the faces of the calipers with that.

But basically, I'm just not OCD enough to worry about it. I swipe at the barrels, not worrying about the parts immediately behind spokes, etc. It is what it is. Mostly I just clean the facings of the spokes, but with 20 openings, even that tends to take awhile.

I'm getting mine painted silver next month, but leaving the barrels black. Love the look of mesh style wheels like this, but hate keeping them clean. Maybe need to switch to Wrangler brake pads!

Oh, I also use the Griots spray wheel cleaner. But to be honest, I don't find that any wheel cleaner I've ever used does anything more than soap/water. I've never found a product I didn't still have to scrub with mechanical force to remove the grunge, and if I'm doing that anyway, it hardly matters what chemical I use.

I got a foam gun on somebody's recommendation on here last month, but unless I'm missing something, I'm not really figuring out why. I mean, I spray soap on, but still have to use a sponge, dipped in water from my bucket, to clean the car. So I may as well just dip the sponge in soapy water -- why do I need to have sprayed foam on the car first?

Hopefully somebody will respond with how I'm doing it all wrong and a foam gun is a miracle tool -- I love to be proven wrong when it makes car washing easier!

Talk about easy to wash!

This was my first wash with the GTS, so maybe that's why I was so OCD about the barrels, over time it may not bother me. I'm hoping I dont need a foam gun, thats just another added step and the part i hate about washing the car (love the rest) is setting up and putting everything away since I do it at my in-laws because I dont have a driveway in my condo.

I will take a look at some of the long wheel brushes and try them out. I just remembered I got one of those stupid corporate gifts for my 15 year and I chose a power washer, perhaps with a decent spray cleaner to agitate the grime on the barrels the power washer will do the rest.

So does anyone know if our wheels are clear coated?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:42 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

That is whole other level...
Old 03-29-2016, 10:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 9914s
Looks awesome.
Originally Posted by PatrickC23
That is whole other level...
Thanks

Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OP, i clean my wheels and have the car washed to a very careful and high quality in 1 hour using the two bucket system.. takes a couple times to develop a routine, but the tools make the difference.
i use Adam's deep wheel cleaner, Adam's tire/fender brush, and Adam's wheel woolie on my GTS centerlocks. the process is outlined here:

the two bucket process is here:

Adam's chemicals have been safe on my wheels for the 5 months i've had my car. finish looks awesome. i'm sure there are other great products out there, but I can't speak to those.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:57 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

STG: Ok wait. Stop. Need details!!! Who did the work? What equipment? I'm gonna go get the wheels off and the oven warm...
Old 03-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

Highly recommend the EZ Detail wheel brush pictured below... makes cleaning the GTS wheels including the barrels much, much easier.

My routine is to spray wheel cleaner all over the face of the wheel including the barrels. Currently using Chemical Guys Diablo diluted 4:1 in a foaming sprayer but whatever your preference should be fine. Let it dwell for a few minutes and then go in with the brush and a bucket of water + car wash soap to clean the face, spokes, and barrels.

I also have a short handle brush to scrub the tires and sometimes will go back between the spokes with a microfiber cloth if they are particularly dirty (which is rare). Rinse and air dry with the Master Blaster. Piece of cake.

Although I will add that lately I do a final pass with a microfiber + quick detailer as a final step to get anything missed by steps 1-5 above.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't washed my CL's yet, but I have had real good luck with Wheel Woolies and a Speed Master wheel brush on the barrels of my other cars.

PS two bucket wash is a must!

Quick Reply: GTS Wheel and Detail questions