Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS Wheel and Detail questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:41 AM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few different wheel cleaners that are all safe and effective. With regular cleaning, the less aggressive CG diablo works fine. Otherwise you'll have to step up to a more aggressive cleaner. I've coated my rims and barrels with one of the new wheel coatings so I don't even use chemical cleaners any longer - soap and water gets the job done. YMMV but these or any of the other brand name cleaners mentioned will work.

Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Cleaner Gel Concentrate 16 oz - good weekly cleaner for rims that are in decent shape. For heavy duty cleaning, see below
http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guy...l-cleaner.html

1Z ColorTech
http://www.autogeek.net/1z-colourtec-wheel-cleaner.html heavy duty wheel cleaner that turns color as it dwells. Excellent product but has a strong odor.

Scholl Concepts Rim 7 Wheel Cleaner great for dirty wheels in bad shape. Only negative is that it's not sold in gallon sizes- #1 cleaner for wheels in bad shape.
http://www.autogeek.net/scholl-conce...l-cleaner.html

Adams Wheel Cleaner
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...l-cleaner.html

P21s Gel Wheel Cleaner
http://www.autogeek.net/10mlref.html
Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

P21S wheel cleaner and the EZ Wheel brush. Done.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
I can see why....it's a bristle brush. No thank you, no thank you.
Yup, they claim no scratch but yes...stay away
Old 03-30-2016, 12:41 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Iron-X wheel cleaner, EZ detail brush (large) and an inch boar brush. It takes me 10 minutes to clean my CL wheels.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:24 PM
joeyrocks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Wow. You've gone to work! Nicely done.

Nothing good can come from NR. Wish you could have saved yourself the headache. Have a rear pic of the Vorsteiner? GBree has one on his GR C2S too.

So those are the OEM wheels?? Powder coated?
No other pics of the rear end worth posting, I'll take a decent pic one day and post it up.

The OEM wheels are powder coated, I had originally wanted to purchase new wheels but I figured the color change was enough for now.

I am in the market for new wheels though...
Old 03-30-2016, 01:28 PM
joeyrocks
Advanced

Originally Posted by oalvarez
Reminds me of some of the Italian bikes I used to own. Labor of love you might say. Hey at least you don't have chain lubricant to deal with.

Add: you might try coating your wheels with some protectant/glaze....do a search if time permits.
In the post I mentioned that I use Rejex, see here: http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=134

When I detail the car every couple months I'll pull off the CLs and apply this stuff while disassembling the locknuts and cleaning/regreasing. It's a lot of work and will consume a weekend, but I enjoy the hell out of working on this car.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

i hate that wheel protectant it leaves a terrible residue on the wheel
Old 03-30-2016, 03:27 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

It really is a b*tch to clean our CL wheels. With my 2013 C2S, I was able to stick my hand through the Sport Design Wheel spokes and clean the barrel every time.

I usually take ~30-45 mins to clean the CLs. I have a CQuartz coating on them so dirt doesn't stick as much, but it's still a pain to make sure every crevice and corner is clean.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:31 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
I usually take ~30-45 mins to clean the CLs. I have a CQuartz coating on them so dirt doesn't stick as much, but it's still a pain to make sure every crevice and corner is clean.
Same here... 30-45mins or so depending on how fast/slow I'm moving (or my level of hangover). My wheels are coated in Opticoat Pro as well so that does help... but only on the face/spokes and not the barrels as it was done with the wheels mounted on the car.

My new wheels should be going on shortly but I dropped them at my detailer before mounting and he went to town covering the face, spokes, barrels, behind the spokes, etc with Opticoat Pro. Should hopefully help.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:18 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Same here... 30-45mins or so depending on how fast/slow I'm moving (or my level of hangover). My wheels are coated in Opticoat Pro as well so that does help... but only on the face/spokes and not the barrels as it was done with the wheels mounted on the car.

My new wheels should be going on shortly but I dropped them at my detailer before mounting and he went to town covering the face, spokes, barrels, behind the spokes, etc with Opticoat Pro. Should hopefully help.
Ah, the good old hangover morning wash. Nothing like standing back up after cleaning a wheel and getting all woozy.

That's awesome re Opticoat. To be honest, I'm not really sure how good/bad the wheels would have been without CQuartz on the spokes (my barrels are also uncoated). However, I've only been washing them with the same shampoo I use on the car (CarPro Reset/HydroFoam).

I had a convo with one of their detailers about using something like P21S or IronX on wheels, and he said it's essentially a waste of product for something coated with CQuartz. I need to pull my emails up again, but he said a few of those products will work with CQuartz and aren't harsh enough to eat away the ceramic coating. Maybe I'll give an actual wheel cleaner a shot this time around.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:48 PM
Madmac
Instructor

+1 on wheel woolies and Sonax wheel cleaner. The black wheels really hide the brake dust well, though when clean, look awesome and is worth the effort.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:02 AM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm about to do my 1st ever clean/strip/CQuartz on my GTS w/ CLs...not looking forward to it...

I'm highly debating on just pulling the damn wheels so I can really get in there good, as well as clean up the calipers as well... but then again, I'll probably be too lazy...

As for the foam gun, I'd rate that as a must have...especially if you live where it's dusty or grimy. I get the soap really foamed up on the car, let sit for a few minutes, then proceed to do 2 bucket wash. The foam soap really helps loosen up the dirt beforehand, so that your not grinding that into your clear coat when you wash...

I've tried the EZ Detail brush, and find the bristles a bit too soft to be able to get off much brake residue (I probably left the brake dust on too long though)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:21 PM
BJK
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I found that the EZ detail brush does a great job of squeezing into tight spaces (e.g. between the caliper and wheel), which would be good for all the small openings in the GTS wheels, but flings brake dust residue all over the place. I once made the mistake of wearing a light colored shirt for a washing, and it is now covered with little black spots from the EZ brush that won't come out. Oh well.

I prefer the large wheel woolie, thought it is a bit bulkier.

I suppose it's not really relevant for the OP, but for anyone reading this thread in the market for a new ride, PCCBs will save you a ton of time here. My GTS has them and the wheels are coated, and what was previously a 45 minute job (on carrera classic wheels with steel brakes) now takes less then 10 minutes. Foam cannon spray on, quick wipe down, rinse off with power washer.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:46 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by BJK

I suppose it's not really relevant for the OP, but for anyone reading this thread in the market for a new ride, PCCBs will save you a ton of time here. My GTS has them and the wheels are coated, and what was previously a 45 minute job (on carrera classic wheels with steel brakes) now takes less then 10 minutes. .
Maybe I should add that to my "regrets - unchecked box" thread!
Old 03-31-2016, 01:42 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BJK
I found that the EZ detail brush does a great job of squeezing into tight spaces (e.g. between the caliper and wheel), which would be good for all the small openings in the GTS wheels, but flings brake dust residue all over the place. I once made the mistake of wearing a light colored shirt for a washing, and it is now covered with little black spots from the EZ brush that won't come out. Oh well.

I prefer the large wheel woolie, thought it is a bit bulkier.

I suppose it's not really relevant for the OP, but for anyone reading this thread in the market for a new ride, PCCBs will save you a ton of time here. My GTS has them and the wheels are coated, and what was previously a 45 minute job (on carrera classic wheels with steel brakes) now takes less then 10 minutes. Foam cannon spray on, quick wipe down, rinse off with power washer.
only costs 9g for the privilege

what a time... to be alive.

Quick Reply: GTS Wheel and Detail questions