Sponsored by:

GTS Wheel and Detail questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
STG: Ok wait. Stop. Need details!!! Who did the work? What equipment? I'm gonna go get the wheels off and the oven warm...
The professional powder coater I use. Normal powder coating technique. Just do the outer hat. Not the inside (opposite side of fronts) that you don't see. The rear inner ones are used for the emergency brake.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:45 PM
joeyrocks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These wheels are the worst to keep clean, try white... Takes one hour every night to remove brake dust and **** from the road. Warm water, wheel cleaner, brush and microfiber. I apply Rejex protectant when I detail the car every 2 months...
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2016, 11:58 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

+1. Griots wheel wands. The long ones. None better.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by joeyrocks
These wheels are the worst to keep clean, try white... Takes one hour every night to remove brake dust and **** from the road. Warm water, wheel cleaner, brush and microfiber. I apply Rejex protectant when I detail the car every 2 months...
Have more pics of your car?? Very nice
Old 03-30-2016, 12:15 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Reminds me of some of the Italian bikes I used to own. Labor of love you might say. Hey at least you don't have chain lubricant to deal with.

Add: you might try coating your wheels with some protectant/glaze....do a search if time permits.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:17 AM
joeyrocks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Have more pics of your car?? Very nice
Here it is... sorry for thread hijack

- GMG Lowering Kit
- BMC Filters
- AWE Switchpath
- GIAC Tune
- Rennline Mesh Grill
- Vorsteiner Diffuser
- Vorsteiner Rear Lip Spoiler

I had NR Auto Carbon Fiber before Vorsteiner and immediately replaced them.
Attached Images     
Old 03-30-2016, 12:21 AM
STG
Race Director

Here it is... sorry for thread hijack

- GMG Lowering Kit
- BMC Filters
- AWE Switchpath
- GIAC Tune
- Rennline Mesh Grill
- Vorsteiner Diffuser
- Vorsteiner Rear Lip Spoiler

I had NR Auto Carbon Fiber before Vorsteiner and immediately replaced them.
Wow. You've gone to work! Nicely done.

Nothing good can come from NR. Wish you could have saved yourself the headache. Have a rear pic of the Vorsteiner? GBree has one on his GR C2S too.

So those are the OEM wheels?? Powder coated?
Old 03-30-2016, 12:35 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just picked these up, have not tried them yet. Had the brush mentioned above but noticed very fine scratches on wheel (red and black bristles) that claim won't scratch but still had some. The Woolies are made of microfber so that might be a better choice. The GTS Centerlock wheels are a lot tighter between the spokes as compared to the S wheels. I also have a hard time stickin my hands through them.

Amazon.com: Wheel Woolies Caliper Spoke Brush 12 in.: Automotive Amazon.com: Wheel Woolies Caliper Spoke Brush 12 in.: Automotive
Old 03-30-2016, 01:13 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by satoru
Just picked these up, have not tried them yet. Had the brush mentioned above but noticed very fine scratches on wheel (red and black bristles) that claim won't scratch but still had some. The Woolies are made of microfber so that might be a better choice. The GTS Centerlock wheels are a lot tighter between the spokes as compared to the S wheels. I also have a hard time stickin my hands through them.
Not sure which you are pointing to but these are the ones I'm speaking of (no red/black bristles)

Old 03-30-2016, 01:47 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner is great. It's the only thing that gets the wheels on the Cayman clean. Regular soap and water works for our other cars. It is amazing stuff.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 AM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I use Mother's wheel cleaner and the same brush that VISE shows above. The brush comes from Griots.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:16 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
Not sure which you are pointing to but these are the ones I'm speaking of (no red/black bristles)

This is the one that i had, used it on my turbo wheels and did notice some scratches on the surface...

http://www.autogeek.net/auto-wheel-brush.html
Old 03-30-2016, 08:37 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by satoru
This is the one that i had, used it on my turbo wheels and did notice some scratches on the surface...

http://www.autogeek.net/auto-wheel-brush.html
I can see why....it's a bristle brush. No thank you, no thank you.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:48 AM
drechsler
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now granted, this is from someone who spent too many years maintaining 15" Alpina-style wheels on BMWs ... But with the right brushes and cleaning product, I don't find the GTS wheels horrible to clean.

I tried the "Speed Master" brush and also found it to leave fine scratches. Wheel Woolies have worked great for me. The angled one is ideal for cleaning back of spokes. The large one easily reaches the full depth of the barrel and is perfectly sized to clean the mesh cutouts in a single pass.

In terms of cleaner, I have tried literally dozens and the only ones that stand out are Sonax Full Effect and Griot's Heavy Duty. Both are the type which change color as they neutralize brake dust. Also works wonders for keeping calipers free of gunk.

Unless my car had some type of wax or coating applied to the wheels prior to delivery (highly doubtful based on mediocre overall prep of the vehicle by dealer), I am wondering if the matte finish is more than just typical paint. After full cleaning treatment using Sonax/Griots at least a half-dozen times, water continues to simply bead and run off.

Also, one day I will find the time to do an intro post, but meanwhile thanks to everyone for making Rennlist such a great place!

Cheers,
Mike

Old 03-30-2016, 09:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I never use wheel cleaners. Just warm soapy water.

Once per year, the wheels are pulled, and coated with Optimum Gloss Coat (basically OptiCoat without the warranty, and sold direct to customers). Between washes, I use Armor All Wheel Protectant. $7 at WalMart.

This front wheel has over 2,000 miles since last wash:
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: GTS Wheel and Detail questions