Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R spring instal

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016 | 09:56 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Your car looks great.

There is absolutely no consensus on springs whatsoever. I just went through a torturous search and was about to put on H&Rs when I had some folks I know sh*t on them completely-- so I tried to figure out the difference between Eibach and the pricier Techarts and it was impossible. I got *diametrically opposite* drop rates and opinions from people. I have concluded its all total bullsh*t and they are all the exact same thing, but their QC must be crap because they drop and ride differently on different cars with otherwise similar specs. So it's a crap shoot...

Btw we have very similar cars and wheels -- only I use mine in reverse -- 19" Turbo for summer..
Old 03-28-2016 | 12:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jsalah
Your car looks great.

There is absolutely no consensus on springs whatsoever. I just went through a torturous search and was about to put on H&Rs when I had some folks I know sh*t on them completely-- so I tried to figure out the difference between Eibach and the pricier Techarts and it was impossible. I got *diametrically opposite* drop rates and opinions from people. I have concluded its all total bullsh*t and they are all the exact same thing, but their QC must be crap because they drop and ride differently on different cars with otherwise similar specs. So it's a crap shoot...

Btw we have very similar cars and wheels -- only I use mine in reverse -- 19" Turbo for summer..
Here's my consensus FWIW:

Eibach and Techart: Same thing, different price. Drop is 1". Can't tell the difference in ride quality from stock.

H&R: Drop is 1.25". Can't tell the difference in ride quality from stock.
Old 03-28-2016 | 12:31 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Here's my consensus FWIW:

Eibach and Techart: Same thing, different price. Drop is 1"....

H&R: Drop is 1.25". Can't tell the difference in ride quality from stock.
I've had people tell me the H&R drop is the *least* of the three --- and I've had others tell me it's "slammed" and becomes *undrivable* and is such a harsh ride they couldn't use their car. I swear, you ask 2 people you get 4 opinions. It's ridiculous.

I even had Eibach and Techart reps tell me the opposite things and they're made by the same company...

(FWIW, I ended up ordering Techarts because I found them at a price that reduced the delta to Eibach to not much more than ~$100, instead of 2x the price)
Old 03-28-2016 | 12:44 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I've had people tell me the H&R drop is the *least* of the three --- and I've had others tell me it's "slammed" and becomes *undrivable*. I swear, you ask 2 people you get 4 opinions. It's ridiculous.
The H&R drop is lower than Eibach/Techart. You can easily verify this with some googling. As for "undrivable" with H&R's, I'm on my third 997 now with H&R springs, all of which have been daily drivers. I can't explain why someone would call the H&R configuration "undrivable" unless they have to negotiate unusual driveways and unusually bad roads on a regular basis.
Old 03-28-2016 | 12:50 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sandwedge
The H&R drop is lower than Eibach/Techart. You can easily verify this with some googling. As for "undrivable" with H&R's, I'm on my third 997 now with H&R springs, all of which have been daily drivers. I can't explain why someone would call the H&R configuration "undrivable" unless they have to negotiate unusual driveways and unusually bad roads on a regular basis.
Sandwedge --- that's precisely the point. You say that, and I'm completely sure that is reflective of your experience. But there is NO consensus on that because for every similar review, I found another, opposite one. No amount of Googling, cars-and-coffees, or forum searches will "settle" this one way or another. Same with exhaust mods, by the way.

(And to be clear -- I'm not making any judgment here for or against H&R -- rather I'm warning anyone reading this thread for research not to rely too much on any particular opinion on this. You're just gonna have to pick one and see how you like it.)
Old 03-28-2016 | 02:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Sandwedge --- that's precisely the point. You say that, and I'm completely sure that is reflective of your experience. But there is NO consensus on that because for every similar review, I found another, opposite one. No amount of Googling, cars-and-coffees, or forum searches will "settle" this one way or another. Same with exhaust mods, by the way.

(And to be clear -- I'm not making any judgment here for or against H&R -- rather I'm warning anyone reading this thread for research not to rely too much on any particular opinion on this. You're just gonna have to pick one and see how you like it.)
And to be clear on my side, the googling I referred to was in reference to the H&R drop vs. the Eibach/Techart drop in terms of inches. There should be no discussion or argument on that point. As for ride quality, I agree with you that opinions are all over the map. I don't understand this for two reasons:

1. As stated earlier, to me the ride feels the same as stock and I've tried both Eibach and H&R. Others have said the same thing.

2. Why do people who are sensitive to ride comfort to the point that lowering springs makes the car "undrivable" buy a 911 to begin with?
Old 03-28-2016 | 12:03 PM
vern1
Race Car

Agree with Sandwedge completely. I find the ride to be slightly firmer than stock (there is that subjectivity again) which I like cause as I said its a sportscar!! People with soft asses who are subject to internet subliminal messages re "harsh", "undrivable" etc should just stay away.

Jsalah, as we discussed before, the only definitive way is to either just bite the bullet and do it or find someone's car who has already done it and drive it. If that's not possible just do it!!
Old 03-28-2016 | 12:47 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vern1
Jsalah, as we discussed before, the only definitive way is to either just bite the bullet and do it or find someone's car who has already done it and drive it. If that's not possible just do it!!
Yep, I basically agree with you, like I said, I've concluded you just have to try something... I personally don't think it's realistic for most people to "try out" every option unless you have access to an inordinate amount of cars.

The *only* quibble I have is with Sandwedge's claim that the H&R drop rate relative to the others is "well established", so to speak. That's simply not true. I have found wildly different claims on that very issue in my research.

Again, not crapping on anyone or any brand here! All I'm saying is that "research" on this topic seems nearly futile, and will not substitute for direct experience. I'll let y'all know what I think of my Techarts when they go on (hahaha. See how I just contradicted my own damn self?!)
Old 03-28-2016 | 12:53 PM
vern1
Race Car

I agree there are some outlier views but again, I think its "generally" acknowledged that the H&R's drop the car about 1/4" more than the others

Hope you like the Techarts. Cheers!!
Old 03-28-2016 | 01:42 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

The *only* quibble I have is with Sandwedge's claim that the H&R drop rate relative to the others is "well established", so to speak. That's simply not true. I have found wildly different claims on that very issue in my research.
The numbers relative to drop amount are provided by the manufacturer and those indicate that the H&R drops the car lower than Tech Art/Eibach. For examples, see any spring thread in this forum. These products have been produced, installed, scrutinized and analyzed empirically and subjectively for a decade. It's well established.

H&R (http://www.hrsprings.com/application...ts/31/975/2007)

Eibach (http://eibach.com/america/en/perform...ication-lookup)

Old 03-28-2016 | 03:18 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Cutting and pasting what a Sharkwerks rep messaged me (I won't name the person).

"I pinged my friend at TechArt about the difference and he says it's a completely different spring. Here's what they wrote:

"Eibach - 0.8" front, 0.5" rear lowering
H&R - 1.2" front, 1.0" rear lowering
TechArt - 1.2" front, 1.2" rear lowering

They will never divulge the rates. I have pryed. We have a full engineering department who specs the rates. They are very close to stock, though.""

I also called Eibach directly -- they would not confirm their springs were a lesser drop, despite the advertised rates. Also, Tire Rack rep told me flat out the H&R's drop was less than the Techarts. Now, I'm perfectly happy to believe he was wrong, all I'm saying is the information out there is still not entirely consistent. AND, for the record, I did not go with H&R precisely because I believe they have the most aggressive drop of the three, but my basis in that belief is tenuous...

Look guys, no need for a dust up here. I'm not trying to prove anyone "wrong".

Cheers,
J.
Old 03-28-2016 | 03:27 PM
gopirates
Racer

From what I have read and gathered, folks seem to say the H&R drops the most and I have stared at pics of other cars enough that I can seem to tell who uses H&R and who does not.

I'm on the fence with either the Eibachs or Techarts. I'd rather have a flat 1 inch lowering in front and back and also have the most compliant ride. I really don't want a stiffer ride or a look that is too low and see the wheels occluded in the wheel wells.

I also don't want to pay the most for the Techarts, if I am only paying a surcharge on the name...
Old 03-28-2016 | 03:29 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Interesting that Eibach's springs for C2 lower more than their springs for the C4. Either one provides more drop or the cars start at different ride heights. Or maybe this is where confusion begins.

Old 03-28-2016 | 04:44 PM
vern1
Race Car

Cutting and pasting what a Sharkwerks rep messaged me (I won't name the person).

"I pinged my friend at TechArt about the difference and he says it's a completely different spring. Here's what they wrote:

"Eibach - 0.8" front, 0.5" rear lowering
H&R - 1.2" front, 1.0" rear lowering
TechArt - 1.2" front, 1.2" rear lowering

They will never divulge the rates. I have pryed. We have a full engineering department who specs the rates. They are very close to stock, though.""

I also called Eibach directly -- they would not confirm their springs were a lesser drop, despite the advertised rates. Also, Tire Rack rep told me flat out the H&R's drop was less than the Techarts. Now, I'm perfectly happy to believe he was wrong, all I'm saying is the information out there is still not entirely consistent. AND, for the record, I did not go with H&R precisely because I believe they have the most aggressive drop of the three, but my basis in that belief is tenuous...

Look guys, no need for a dust up here. I'm not trying to prove anyone "wrong".

Cheers,
J.
Agree, that's pretty bad and contributes to the confusion. But as the other poster says, once you have stared at enough pics of cars on various threads (and there have been enough of them) you can start to tell the difference. And to my eye, regardless of what the posted drops are, my eye says the h&r are lowest, followed by Eibach/Techart. That's why I didn't obsess with reported drop levels. They looked good to me and that's the way I went

Cheers
Old 03-28-2016 | 06:54 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Vern, looks really good as do the carrera classics with the drop. Is the drop level?

Quick Reply: H&R spring instal