Sponsored by:

Need Help: PPI in North Miami

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 02:37 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help: PPI in North Miami

Hi everyone, my name is Kevin. I am a new member here. I have been dreaming of owning a 964 for the last 3 years and I finally pulled the trigger on the car I found. I have never traveled outside of my state to purchase a car and I have never owned an older car, let alone classic. This is all new territory for me. This will be my first Porsche and I'm extremely excited and nervous at the same time. The only place I can find that specialized in PPI with a compression test was MasterClass Automotive in North Miami. Unfortunately, the master technician (owner) will not be there this coming Wednesday (March 23). I would love to set a PPI with a reputable shop if members here can refer me to one.

+I can not change the date because my flight is already booked.
+I'm also not sure how much of a radius I can travel outside of North Miami with the car. So preferably a place within a reasonable radius of N Miami.

I met a lot of great 964 owners today and they told there were a lot of Rennlist members in Florida. Hope to communicate with you guys soon =)

Old 03-19-2016, 03:03 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Call Al at Parkhaus 1 and explain the situation. He will take care of you. FWIW I have a 964 as well. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:26 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Call Al at Parkhaus 1 and explain the situation. He will take care of you. FWIW I have a 964 as well. Good luck.
Thank you. I did call Parkhaus1 yesterday and they said they were organizing an event and would call me back, but never did. I'll try to call and ask for AL specifically.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:25 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Gulf Performance in Pompano Beach.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:17 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

Originally Posted by David A
Gulf Performance in Pompano Beach.
Thank you David. I just called. No one can do it this week. People are out due to spring break =/
Old 03-21-2016, 01:35 PM
k9doog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.kmwmotorsports.com/ Kevin Wheeler
Old 03-21-2016, 04:09 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

Originally Posted by k9doog
Thank you so much. Kevin sounds really knowledgeable. He also can't do a compression/leak down test that day, but he says he would let me know if it is even required. Based on your recommendation, I made a standard PPI appointment. Crossing my fingers everything goes smoothly.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:26 PM
k9doog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aceking4u
Thank you so much. Kevin sounds really knowledgeable. He also can't do a compression/leak down test that day, but he says he would let me know if it is even required. Based on your recommendation, I made a standard PPI appointment. Crossing my fingers everything goes smoothly.
Every time my friend and I used Kevin services for ours 964's we have a great experience, I hope yours will be the same, and good luck with your PPI.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

You guys are amazing for recommending Kevin at KMW.

It was $140 for the PPI and it was worth every penny. All they do here is take apart Porsches and rebuild it.

Sadly to say, I had to walk away from the deal. There's just so much issue with the car and the dealer tried to sell it off as Pristine all around. I wasted my time with the flight and this dealer, but thank god I did my due diligence with the PPI.

Still not a Porsche owner =*(
Old 03-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,107 Posts

$140 for a PPI??!?!?! Cheap. Trust me, the time and $ you spent will be peanuts in comparison to what it could have cost you.

What was wrong with the car? Can you list the issues? And the asking?

Maybe you an PM me offline on your budget and I can ask around. Cars are out there, often not advertised. Also post a "wanted" here. And pelican.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:24 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

Hi Spyrex,

Yes $140 is insanely cheap compared to what everyone else quoted me. Most people want to quote 2 hours of labor. Kevin knows the sound of these cars and how it should run. He told me over the phone he can tell right away if I needed a compression test / leak down test. This car didn't need that but the list is below:

Btw, I saw your 964 at the last meet in Tustin. Absolutely gorgeous!

I couldnt even get myself to make a counteroffer because it was so misleading. It would cost $10-15k to make this car pristine.

Name:  QKn1v4H.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  843.1 KB

1990 C4 Baltic Blue w/ Blue Leather Interior and 4 Way Sport Seats.
http://www.kesslerautogroup.com/vehi...10bea4ec730ae/
Old 03-24-2016, 02:28 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

Clutch was off. Also the shifter did not stay in place (not as stiff). Shifter would vibrate at higher speeds. Car made a loud clunk noise in first gear. AWD might be defective. Air bags (passenger) may not be working and seatbelt lights remain on at all time. Interior switch boxes (for spoiler etc) were completely popped out. Radio was disconnected and whoever disconnected hid the wires in between the a really bad area in the hood of the car. Doesn't appear safe at all.

Since there was no felt for the sunroof the water had some leakage in the roof as you can tell with water stains etc.

Man, i learned SO MUCH about 964 with just an hour with Kevin. I would not hesitate to go to him if you were in the Miami Area.

The dealer only allowed me to take the car to PPI via tow on a flatbed. Thank god I had triple A and used it both ways.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,107 Posts

That's too bad. The price is too high for a car with these issues. Low-mid 30's is probably more realistic... With a paint job a lot more than 10-15.

FWIW I paid a lot more for mine (and it's not perfect either!)

Mechanical
air filter box - $250 used
sunroof seals - $100
sunroof not working - $500-1000
AC not working - 100-2000 - depends
Tires - 1000
Control arm bushing - about 3-4 hours labor plus part - 600 or so
valve cover gaskets/chain box gaskets - 4-8 hours labor + parts - 1000-1500 + valve adjust - this could be a lot more if the engine needs other things.
battery tray - depends, could just need to be cleaned and sealed up - 100
belts - 50 plus an hour labor - 150
dash dimmer - 100

Cosmetics
front struts - $50
dash - 1500 or so labor + refinish or used replace
Rear decklid spoiler cracked (common) - $300 used
Rocker - $free? maybe just a fastener
bumper cap - $50
lenses - 1000
frunk light - 15
spare tire and tools - 250-500?
repaint - well could you live with it for now? that’s 10-15k
Old 03-24-2016, 03:11 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by aceking4u
The dealer only allowed me to take the car to PPI via tow on a flatbed. Thank god I had triple A and used it both ways.
I would have told him to **** up a tree right then, or at least driven the pile back to him after the PPI There was a 964 in FL I wanted to buy for my wife, had a friend check it our for me and upon his report, I asked the dealer if he could bring it to a certain place for a PPI (close to him I might add). Selling dealer said no and said he would only take it to "his" trusted shop. As much as I wanted the car, I wished him luck and never looked back. Best decision I made, I don't need the headaches.

As you said, you learnt a lot through this experience and you'll eventually find what you are looking for. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:17 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
That's too bad. The price is too high for a car with these issues. Low-mid 30's is probably more realistic... With a paint job a lot more than 10-15.

FWIW I paid a lot more for mine (and it's not perfect either!)

Mechanical
air filter box - $250 used
sunroof seals - $100
sunroof not working - $500-1000
AC not working - 100-2000 - depends
Tires - 1000
Control arm bushing - about 3-4 hours labor plus part - 600 or so
valve cover gaskets/chain box gaskets - 4-8 hours labor + parts - 1000-1500 + valve adjust - this could be a lot more if the engine needs other things.
battery tray - depends, could just need to be cleaned and sealed up - 100
belts - 50 plus an hour labor - 150
dash dimmer - 100

Cosmetics
front struts - $50
dash - 1500 or so labor + refinish or used replace
Rear decklid spoiler cracked (common) - $300 used
Rocker - $free? maybe just a fastener
bumper cap - $50
lenses - 1000
frunk light - 15
spare tire and tools - 250-500?
repaint - well could you live with it for now? that’s 10-15k
Also no rebuild and had some original had service record but could not find them upon my arrival. Also only one original key. Reflectors in rear are all cracked/damage. Car does not have the original main windshield. All other windshield were original btw.

Carrera 4 was not even lined up in the middle smh

Quick Reply: Need Help: PPI in North Miami