Notices

DE insurance update

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:36 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Well, I am not a lawyer, but I provide services to a number of companies that provide auto and life insurance. They are all regulated by the FSCO, and must abide by the acts and regulations here:

https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/about/...gislation.aspx

The Insurance Act is here:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90i08

the relevant sections are PART XV: RATES AND RATING BUREAUS (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90i08#BK482), sections 408 - 418

and R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 664: AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE, which is here:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900664

Of particular interest is the section on Prohibited Risk Classification Elements, which are detailed here:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900664#BK12

which specifically lists the conditions that an insurer can NOT incorporate into their risk classification system (i.e. reasons for which they can't increase your premiums and/or cancel your policy). Participation in a HPDE or driving a car on a track is unfortunately not one of them, so if the insurer wants to deny you coverage based on your participation in such an event, they are most certainly allowed to do so.

It's no different from any other business that resuses to provide some other kind of service. Some restaurants have a "No shirt, no shoes, no service" policy, which is 100% enforceable. They can't refuse to provide you service based on the color of your skin, but they can certainly refuse to let you in if you're not wearing a shirt. For as long as it's not discrimination or specifically prohibited under whatever regulations thay may be subect to, any supplier has the right to choose who they wish to deal with, and auto insurance in Ontario is no different.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:59 AM
Radio996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, their actuaries should look into some data. I know of many DEers who admit to driving more safely and slowly on public roads after just a few DE sessions. But it is fair to assume that this data does not yet exist. If it did, DEers would be getting a discount on their insurance.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:25 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I vote for Alain for president
Old 03-01-2016, 08:25 PM
ibeaudoin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sysgen
^^ I vote for Alain for president
Ah ben ! You're back.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:07 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ibeaudoin
Ah ben ! You're back.
****....I see Stef more then I see you!
Old 03-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Badum, tiss Dans les dents

Last edited by Sysgen; 03-23-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:20 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if you have auto insurance, you may be covered, but it will likely be a hassle to collect. Take it from me.
Track Day insurance is expensive, I think, particularly if you go to a lot of events.

There's a company in the US, now, that sells insurance in Canada called Open Track (no affiliation) that looks like it might be a good deal if you do a lot of events:
https://www.theopentrack.com/

Cheers
Bill
Old 04-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SGRPDK
I think I can chime in on this,

Last year I was insured by belair.

I asked them how much it would cost to be covered for DE events.

The broker submitted the question and the answer he got back surprised him. It said I pretty much had 2 weeks to find another insurer since they would be cancelling my policy because the car might end up on a racetrack.

I switched over to PAFCO since they offer road insurance just like any other insurance, but they also specifically insure your car for the track. Since it's a policy tailor made for ppl that do DE types of event, it's clear as day that the car is covered if something happens. I think the deductible is 5000$ (a small amount compared to what putting those cars in a wall can cost!)

It cost me around 1-2k more for the year than my previous insurance but I think it's worth it considering the amount that's insured and also for the peace of mind it offered during last years DE's.

If anyone's interested:

Invessa (Senay)
545, Promenade du Centropolis, Suite 215
Laval, Quebec H7T 0A3
Office: 450-688-6226
Fax: 450-688-6545
Courriel : senay@invessa.com
Courriel : jacques.senay@invessa.com
Thanks C4SGRPDK,
I am in the same situation, same insurance companies.... I will now be insured via PAFCO thanks to Mr. Senay. $2500 deductable and a $1000 more per year, but at least I KNOW I am insured. Won't improve my lap times but at least my insurer won't cancel on me and I can get to the track.
Now back to rebuilding those calipers and flushing the brake fluid
Old 04-11-2016, 05:02 PM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster dude
Thanks C4SGRPDK,
I am in the same situation, same insurance companies.... I will now be insured via PAFCO thanks to Mr. Senay. $2500 deductable and a $1000 more per year, but at least I KNOW I am insured. Won't improve my lap times but at least my insurer won't cancel on me and I can get to the track.
Now back to rebuilding those calipers and flushing the brake fluid
Glad to hear it!

see you at the tech line!
Old 08-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

For Ontario residents try Economical. I sent my broker all the DE info and I am suppose to now be covered. I say supposedly because we all know how insurance companies try and get out of paying. Price was not really much more than prior insurance with State Farm which clearly stated no coverage on track.

Quick Reply: DE insurance update