Montreal & Ottawa Coffee Run to Tremblant

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Montreal & Ottawa Coffee Run to Tremblant

I'm not sure if Bob had posted this elsewhere in the forum so I'll go ahead and mention it to those that may be interested in joining us.

This Saturday, August 14th RSR is organizing a coffee run to Circuit Mont Tremblant. This is a social event and joint effort between Ottawa & Montreal RSR members and will consist of a scenic drive on country roads leading to Circuit Mt.Tremblant. Once there, we will be allowed to drive a few laps on the track (at reduced speed and under supervision by DE staff) in our own cars.

Lunch can be had at the track snack bar or in the picturesque Tremblant village. For those that are interested in dining on something a tad better than a trackside hot dog or burger, Ian Firth has looked into booking an Italian restaurant for lunch inside the village. This event is open to all RSR members so if you're interested, please RSVP. Hope to see you there!

For more information: www.rennsport.ca
Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks Andy. Weather looks great. Touring laps means folks can drive their own cars - any car, no helmets needed and passengers are fine. Great way to get a feel for Le Circuit! Note that the touring sessions require a donation to the Cancer Research center. This event is memorial in honor of George Grivakis - long time Rennsport Member and DE Instructor. He died of the disease. His widow will be there as part of the ceremony. Touring will be both Saturday and Sunday at lunch time.

Best,
Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Andy, great idea to post on Rennlist to reach Rennsport members that may have missed the notification. Looking forward to seeing you Saturday.

And Bob, the fundraiser is a worthy and valuable endeavor. We are SO fortunate - giving a bit makes us individually feel good inside, and collectively will ultimately make a difference. This is near and dear to me - count me in to support.

Best,

Matt
Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the support guys! Truthfully, I'm more worried about road construction delays over weather at this point.

Our government uses an interesting protocol when it comes to civil repairs, where funds must be received prior to awarding any government contract; hence the major tearing up of our infrastructure in mid-summer following monies received in May-June!

At least we started getting back some road markings and painted lines this month!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to be there! Should I install my Hoosiers for the hot laps?

I'm really looking forward to this one, never been to Tremblant!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atr911
I'm going to be there! Should I install my Hoosiers for the hot laps?
Only if you're prepared to bribe one of the DE instructors that will be there to keep us on a short 'leash'!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in too! Catch you tomorrow, Andy!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 PM
breale01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went for Saturday's coffee run/lapping. Thanks to the organizers, a fantastic event once again! And to a worthy cause as well. It was great to see a significant gathering of 964's in the Montreal group, a pleasant surprise. What a huge group from Ottawa ! A la prochaine
Old 08-15-2010, 06:15 PM
jipi
2nd Gear

Merci Andy !
La ballade était fantastique et les tours de piste WOW !
Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 PM
oups59
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Je crois que j'ai croisé plusieurs d'entre-vous sur la montée Ryan lors de mon arrivé a Tremblant. J'ai meme vu 3-4 928. Wow.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:25 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Thank you to Ian, it was a very nice ride up.

PLUS a special thanks to Bob "No the OTHER left!!" Rouleau, I got to show my wife exactly what the track looks like from a moving, albeit slow moving... vantage point.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks to all of you who made the run and contributed to the charity. We raised about $2,000 for cancer research!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

A great run! Over 30 cars in attendance! This got split up into 3 separate groups following an incident at a certain round-a-bout; however everyone managed to get back together and meet up at the track. Five 928's lead the pack to Tremblant from Waypoint II in Lachute; three from Montreal and the other two from Ottawa.

Woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat to check for stone chips on the shark from all the tire shrapnel caught on the track!!

Ian set off to the U.K. yesterday, but he left me a small note behind to post for all the particpants. (Below in blue italics):

I am off to the UK tomorrow, but here are some thoughts to ponder, so that we can update the leader's write up when I return.

- we lost more than one cluster of cars when the group did not follow instructions from the Drivers Meeting and "do not leave an intersection where the run turns unless you can see the car behind and he can see you". In fact one member got lost when she did the above and then never ever caught up with a Porsche at any following intersections. We need to get the rule over better, both in the reminder and on the day.

- large groups really need to be split into more manageable sizes. The obvious problem is having two leaders who are comfortable with the route. My guess it wouldn't be a problem on some of our routes, but those runs tend not to be too large anyway.

- one person who was going to go to lunch with us turned up at the gate facing the wrong way as I was leading the lunch group out, and he was there because he was having starter problems. As the group I was leading was blocking the paddock road and we were about 15 cars long, it wasn't practical to stop, so I essentially abandoned him to the RSR members in the paddock. I had no tail radio because we announced the route to everyone and it was only about 6 kms. Having a tail radio would have helped in that the tail person could have been asked to stop and make some arrangements. In fact organising things at the track was difficult with such a large group and two clubs.

- some people wanted gas leaving lunch in main Mont Tremblant (alongside the 117). I told one person I would pull over whilst they gassed up. The main drag in Mont Tremblant (Rue St Jovite) is like Bank St, so when we came to the gas station I waved her in and carried on, looking for a pull over place to stop 9 Porsches in a line. Of course, she didn't stop because I didn't stop. So we need to tell people how we are going to handle pull-overs in a busy town. On the highway, or in a village is easy, but people need to know that the leader knows they are stopping and is going to wait further sown the road.

As I said above, I don't think we need solutions right now, but we need to stress the "do not leave an intersection where the run turns unless you can see the car behind and he can see you" rule for the September run on the reminder e-mail and on the day.

I will e-mail everyone when we get back with a view to collating people's thoughts ready for next year.

Cheers, Ian
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Plante Laurier
Advanced

Merci Andy.......Très belle balade et l'idée de réunir Montréal
et Ottawa.........Super.........
Laurier
Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 AM
breale01
Racer

Andy, the other thing that separated the groups further was that minor road construction where one lane was closed and a (long) traffic light was setup. I was one of the last P-cars to make the green light and I saw many behind me catch the red. Must have been close to a 10 minute wait. Still, it most certainly was a better route than the one planned originally (road contsruction involving gravel!).

Ian, agree completely with your intersection rule comments. It would certainly work, but unfortunately it just takes one car to break the chain. I often found myself looking in the rearview for the P-car behind, but not wanting to lose sight of the P-car in front. Felt like a bungee being stretched.

Nevertheless, a great success. Thanks again to the organizers!

Quick Reply: Montreal & Ottawa Coffee Run to Tremblant