Notices

Montreal & Ottawa Coffee Run to Tremblant

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

It was a great ride!

It gets exponentially tougher to maintain an "enjoyable" pace as the group grows in size. That's just fact!

With people needing gas, coffee recycle stops, etc, etc....I fear, with a group that size using the "intersection rule"..... we'd still be travelling towards Tremblant.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Andy, the club has (somewhere) a half dozen FRS radios. They might help keep the group together on such runs.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Andy, the club has (somewhere) a half dozen FRS radios. They might help keep the group together on such runs.
Bob, I had brought with me two commercial-duty restricted-frequency 2-way radios; one for the lead vehicle and the other for the tailgunner. Due to the hilly roads and heavy foliage encountered, we had lost communication altogether.

I also understand that a few others had brought their FRS radios and attempted some communication together, w/o success I may add.

IMHO, the group may have been a bit too large as a single convoy and perhaps should have been split into two or three sub-groups for easier control. I've also noticed that in most coffee runs, there are some drivers that refuse to keep up with the group, maintaining a large distance between vehicles. This causes a problem where some of the others behind want to catch up with the others out in front. In the end, I'm happy that everybody eventually found their way to the track without incident.

One thing to remember is that coffee runs mainly consist of two principal type of drivers; one type being the relaxed individual who wants to enjoy the camaraderie of the group while casually watching his surroundings, and the other is a more agressive type who sports driving gloves and concentrates heavily on his driving, instruments and the leading car in front of him.

Different strokes for different folks I guess!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 PM
pjensen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One technique that bikers use is to split the run group in to pods, typically 5-10 bikes. Each pod leader knows the route, and is charged with keeping his pod intact. If all the pods stay together great, if not, you are still running with a group, and will reach your destination. You could even try to group (pod)similar driving styles, friends, etc. on larger run groups. Just don't assume the old cars will always be running in the back!

Paul
Old 08-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Paul you have a PM.
Dwane

Quick Reply: Montreal & Ottawa Coffee Run to Tremblant