Notices

PCA Race at Mt. Tremblant

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:45 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Tremblant definitely has the magnetic character of WG and Road America. I have the feeling (based on paddock chat) that if a race at Tremblant is well positioned in the calendar, it would attract a lot of racers from the northeast and even the midwest (as well as RSR and UCR guys of course). Tremblant also has the convenience of being a family friendly place. That alone will grow your expected US racer turn out by 10 percent at least. What we don't need on the CR schedule is another average event like Mosport or Gingerman or Putnam. To me, if we were to put together a CR at Tremblant, we go big. Big means 2 to 3 sprints and 1 enduro, perhaps an enduro that is longer than 90 mins, proper qualifying. Think of a night race as well. Mix in an advanced only DE as well. Also, think of an awards dinner where the winners are recognized... We don't race for money but bragging rights are cool. Trophies not that important imho and I won my last 7 races to tell you about it. The midweek thing has some merits, but in general, it will kill participation imho. We need to give racers extra reasons to sign up and travel up to 900 miles to attend!

As a Montrealer living in the US and Zone 1 member, I would love to be your event's ambassador down here .

I really hope this project works out!

Fred

Last edited by FredC; 06-17-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm all for having a big event, but I don't think the track really requires it. The track is so amazing and the nearby resort is so family friendly that I think you could easily host a "regular" event and still got a very high attendance rate.

The reason to go "big" in my mind is to create the buzz for the following years. I.e., you'll likely get a fairly large attendance number in the first year because there hasn't been a race there in 10 years. If the event is run well, that sets the stage for people to keep returning in the following years.

I think the ideal time for the event would be the end of July and if you could work something out with the UCR folks, it may benefit both groups.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 AM
FredC
Drifting

Don't leave anything to chance guys!!!! Brian are you already trying to kill the eventual Tremblant CR?

Agreed with July. The Fall in Les Laurentides is asking for rain... And don't think of labor day weekend... Road America is a pillar of the CR calendar imho.

Originally Posted by Brian P
I'm all for having a big event, but I don't think the track really requires it. .
Old 06-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Don't leave anything to chance guys!!!! Brian are you already trying to kill the eventual Tremblant CR?
Fair enough. I just don't want them thinking that it's a dealbreaker if they can't arrange a night race.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Racer944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we can make it cost effective and not burn out our volunteers, I would support this completely. Would be fun to host a club race given the right circumstances... would be a great atmosphere!

Cheers;
Eric
Old 06-17-2009, 04:52 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

I am not sure if "going big" is even possible at LCMT.

The track has severe restrictions on it. Strict 9:00am to 5:00 pm operating hours. No more than 30 cars at the same time on the track.

The track does have 5 weekends a year with no restrictions. Getting one of those weekends is not impossible but very difficult. The BMWCCA guys (Boston chapter) do a big race every year in August and they didn't get the exempted weekend this year.

But doing a race that limits it to 30 cars per each category will very much be possible. Just have to look out for noise. It is strictly enforced. BMWCCA manages this but does get a couple cars sidelined due to noise.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Andrei,

As far as I know, LCMT has something like 52 days where noise is permitted. We should be able to get a few for a major event like PCA. I will be doing some preliminary investigation. I think the exec is behind the idea, certainly the President, the Secretary and I are!

Best,
Old 06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
FredC
Drifting

If what you wrote is true, this event will be a non-starter imho.

Originally Posted by amaist
I am not sure if "going big" is even possible at LCMT.

The track has severe restrictions on it. Strict 9:00am to 5:00 pm operating hours. No more than 30 cars at the same time on the track.

The track does have 5 weekends a year with no restrictions. Getting one of those weekends is not impossible but very difficult. The BMWCCA guys (Boston chapter) do a big race every year in August and they didn't get the exempted weekend this year.

But doing a race that limits it to 30 cars per each category will very much be possible. Just have to look out for noise. It is strictly enforced. BMWCCA manages this but does get a couple cars sidelined due to noise.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
If what you wrote is true, this event will be a non-starter imho.
The only part of that that is really a non-starter is the 30 car limit on the track. Everything else is exactly the same restrictions that Lime Rock has and it seems to do pretty well.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:02 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brian P
The only part of that that is really a non-starter is the 30 car limit on the track. Everything else is exactly the same restrictions that Lime Rock has and it seems to do pretty well.
Not sure i agree. There are 75 or so racers who live within 2 to 3 hours of LRP and therefore decide to "accept" the noise restrictions. Anyway, I hope the project takes off!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The 30 car limit does NOT apply to race days. The trick is to get race days. I will start digging. This could not happen until next year and the trick will be to juggle the existing race schedule, the Ferrari School and other annually scheduled events. Ferrari runs their North American driving school at LCMT, 32 days or so each year. Same school that runs at Mugello in Italy called 'Pilota" over there. Known events are the Spring and Fall Classics, the Ferrari Festival, the Legends (over 100 entries this year featuring historic F1 cars, Can-Am cars and more Porsche 904s 908 and 910s than I have even seen in one place before). Not sure if Indy cars are back next year, they cancelled this year after the Indy/Champ car merger.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Bob, don't forget that you will need at least a year to teach the steward running the event how to hold the driver's meeting in both French and English!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob is very good with the bilingual speech

That event will be very cool indeed!

C.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:44 AM
FredC
Drifting

Yikes! Don't tell me the language police is concerned with club racing!!!!! ;-)
Old 06-19-2009, 04:38 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up Cool

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Andrei,

As far as I know, LCMT has something like 52 days where noise is permitted. We should be able to get a few for a major event like PCA. I will be doing some preliminary investigation. I think the exec is behind the idea, certainly the President, the Secretary and I are!

Best,
I would also support this.

Quick Reply: PCA Race at Mt. Tremblant