Notices

Buy a Bandage - Haiti....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:23 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Apparently there are a number of copies of this thread in the various forums and sites, so I apologize to all of you is you have read this post in one of those threads as well... You see....

I just came home from work - and while I'm trying to prepare to get into Haiti as part of a rescue, if we get clearance, I wanted to say this...

You folks - all of you - are amazing. I am humbled, speechless - and a lot more than a little proud to be your voice to so many in Haiti who have no voice. In short - what we are trying to do - and will do - is actually "adopt" a hospital for the next few weeks and give the children, men & women (I believe there are about 1500 in dire medical need at that hospital as I write this) - the medicine they require, food, water - and most importantly - simply *hope* that we - or rather YOU - have not forgotten nor forsaken them... I don't really know anymore the right words to say. I do know that those in Haiti do not have the right words, either - to express to all of you their thanks. If you doubt that - please read Adrien's e-mail posted earlier, OK?

As well - on to the "nut-and-bolts"...

In the past 28 hours - Rennwish has raised approximately $23,000 for this effort alone. The prelimary figures are:

$14,267 - PayPal
$8,100 - Committed as "checks in the mail";
$700 - eChecks not cleared but in process

I shake my head in disbelief, because - just like you - I find it amazing that so many could care so much...

And we have just started on attacking that $75,000 goal. I know - we will "just get it done" - as you and Rennwish has so often in the past...

To the number of folks that asked if they could defray the PayPal processing expenses, my thanks - but the answer is "no". It's been our "mantra" that if you give "$1" - then "$1" goes to that Rennwish Program. Jen and I have traditionally offset any PayPal or wire transfer or bank expenses from our end. We will continue to do so - as I made that guarantee that your "$1" reaches the children and the people intact and in full. It's what we do and will continue to do...

A few have asked how we intend to get the funds into Haiti to acquire the supplies, etc... That's easy... We need to get some funds immediately into those purchasing the medical supplies - so they can get them into the hands of the hospital and the folks. So, we'll send enough via instant wire services to make the initial purchases for the first few days. At the same time - we will bank-wire direct into the Haitian financial banks the major portion of your funds, but it typically takes those funds about 4-5 days to clear within Haiti.

So - in short - we'll start getting your supplies into Haiti as a trickle, while the major banks clear the majority of the assets - which will insure the funds, medicine, food and necessities of life continue to flow... This is all being done from "within Haiti" itself...

Finally - here and an edited private e-mail I sent to a contributor, who was worried if he'd done enough...

....Honestly? I am so overwhelmed by you and others - I am speechless... Since the earthquake - in private - I've been a mess. I've lost some "friends" - and given the situation, have felt like "what can we really do?" - which pales in comparison to all the International Aid, syndicated charities, etc... But then - as I got in contact with my folks (like Adrien and Marc), knew that there was so much to do...

All we want to do is get aide to the people who need it... One person to one person....

Giving an entire hospital - which has been forsaken so far - medicine, supplies, food, water, - HOPE - is what we do best. In fact -- it is what "we do"...

That "we" is you and the folks who have contributed - have done. It's "person to person". That's personal. That is you.

You made a huge difference - simply by choosing to care....

So, my thanks.... My "job" is easy... My "job" is to ensure that $1.00 donated goes to $1.00 of aid. No newspaper articles. And no clips on major network TV news... No pictures.... No pat on the backs....

Just simply - people-to-people.

My thanks for that,

John
Old 01-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, all the best in your efforts in Haiti. Our prayers are with you.
Donation send
Old 01-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,
My best wishes to you and everyone doing their best to help the people of Haiti.

Paypal sent.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:47 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Thanks again John. I had forgotten that you and Jen cover the PayPal fees, once again shows how great you two are including setting this stuff up and doing all the legwork.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 PM
kmeighannj
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Paypal sent

Good luck in this effort.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So far I've had two responses from Facebook, who have both donated, who would not have otherwise known about rennwish. Keep beating the Facebook bushes. There are a lot of eyes out there that will never see this thread, or any other.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:50 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Sorry for the delay, had the daughter in LA checking out schools.

It is so hard to imagine the worlds of difference between our lives and what has happened to these people. Thank you for giving us a way to help so directly.

Paypal sent.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Done! Hope for the best. Thanks for your effort...
Old 01-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

in
Old 01-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Check is in the mail (hopefully that helps with any Paypal fees that John has to pay.)
Old 01-17-2010, 07:06 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Done. Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

You folks are amazing - and from those in Haiti - simply "mesi".. You have no idea how much they mean that...

From this evening - I finally had the opportunity to speak with Adrien for a bit.. Things are, as you can imagine - somewhat of a mess. Last evening in Cayes, they had another aftershock - small - but "..the peoples run into the street about 3 in the morning, even though it rains. They are afraid still to sleep in their houses.."..

Anyway - tomorrow the real work begins... We need to find out a way to get some cash into Cayes with many of the banks closed. The folks need the medicine, food and basics NOW... And you folks have given Rennwish the tools to get it "done"... You have no idea...

As well - as an update - we are 1/3 of the way into our goal of $75,000.

For your posts, your support, your confidence and your donations - you have no idea how appreciated they are... Let's keep this going - and I will as well... You deserve nothing less.. I know those in need in Haiti deserve the same - and more...

Simply the "best from all of us.."...

So, we'll get it done...

John
Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

great job John
I am in and encouraging friends to do the same.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

Today I was thinking ALOT about Haiti and something popped into my head that I just can't shake....

I wonder if this terrible terrible earthquake and all the destruction it has caused will lead to a rebirth, a reawakening, a new start, a Miracle in Haiti.....
Old 01-18-2010, 01:56 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

John, thanks for putting this together. I just made a small donation via paypal, hope it can help a little.