Notices

Buy a Bandage - Haiti....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:20 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

THIS MORNINGS UPDATE from Jenn ~
Things are getting scary down there..........

Just when I was beginning to rest easy John calls to tell me that he held off a riot! John and Adrienne spent another day working at the airport helping unload incoming supplies and trying to track down the food and supplies for Pastor Andre's orphanage. Refugees and locals who were hungry and frustrated with the distribution process were getting ready to riot and John asked them to put their trust in him and he'd get them fed. Negogiating between the UN and the local Haitian police, they were able to get the supplies safely unloaded as well as get food into the hands of several hundred starving refugees. He further set up Pastor Vilnor's school has a distribution center for incoming refugees and lastly they located and delivered Pastor Andre's food and supplies for his orphanage. With so much to do and so few people in charge giving directives, John seems to have found his true calling!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:21 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May Commodore Dunkle help keep SS Les Cayes afloat with all the extra passengers she's taking on in very rough seas . . .

Thanks for keeping the information stream going, JoAnne.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

TONIGHT'S UPDATE - via Jenn 2.1.2010

I just got off the phone. John finally met up with Father Marc of Pwoje Espwa. Father Marc is doing simply an amazing job helping incoming refugees but to do so he has been depleting his own resources to do this. Currently his medical center is treating about 70 patients. He was suprised to learn that there is food and medical supplies coming into Les Cayes and it's been sitting in a warehouse by the airport. I expect that John and Adrienne will be back to the airport trying to sort this out and getting much needed supplies to Pwoje Espwa.

He further visited with Pastor Vilnor at the school and they have been busy assemblying food packs to feed incoming familes as well they have set up a system to ensure that no one goes without.

Les Cayes radios are broadcasting a possible earthquake warning for tonight which is sending locals into a panick. I haven't seen these predictions being made in any of the news I have been reading so we are thinking these warnings are unfounded, but John will be sleeping outside with the rest of Les Cayes! What a trooper!

-Jen
Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Radio Times (WHYY program) on Haiti Children and Media Coverage

They have a podcast. Search with your favorite podcast program for Radio Times.
(It's in the Itunes Podcast section for those that have iTunes)
Yesterday's show is available for download. Not sure when today's show will be up for download.

I'm listening on satellite radio. (Channel 134 NPR on XM)
Old 02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

TONIGHT'S UPDATE:

John is on his way home via Turks & Caicos!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

'Way Forward for Haiti' Article in Haiti reWired on which way Haiti should go.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:13 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

UPDATE from Jenn ~

He's in Fort Lauderdale now looking forward to a hot shower and sleeping in a real bed.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

You folks are incredible... Thank you! A special Thank you to JoAnne and Jenn for keeping everyone updated while I was in Haiti. I know it was difficult, as there was so much going on, and frankly - I was running at 100MPH...

As well - it gives me a great deal of pleasure to announce that North Country Region (NCR) of PCA (http://www.ncr-pca.org/) has donated $5,000 to Project Rennwish! I was greeted with the check upon my return from Haiti last evening. We can only hope that other PCA Regions help out - as Rennwish has it's root's in Rennlist, and that site has supported PCA Members, Events and Regions for over a decade - as it is, and was - about the "people". In short - I am humbled, speechless and eternally grateful to NCR, its Board and the 490 Porsche owners that region represents. Therefore, in one of our projects (orphanage(s) or one of the schools), we will be dedicating a room or a building to the Members and Board of North Country Region in Haiti.

Being a Member of NCR and PCA throughout the years - their action makes me proud of being affiliated with both. I hope - and challenge - any other PCA Region to follow suit, as indeed - it is "about the people"...

As well- I have the following subject areas & pictures I'll be adding to the websites later:

Our work with Pastor Andre's Orphanage;
Food Distribution Issues;
Pastor Vilnor's School and food distribution;
Our Programs with Pwoje Espwa;
The medical supplies we brought in for the Hospital & Clinics;
Our work with the McCall children while in Haiti;
Life in Haiti - refugees, sleeping in the streets, etc.
And discuss our course of over the course of the next few months...

The road ahead will be difficult - and if we are to succeed, which I have no doubt we will - it will take all of us pulling and pushing together - as a team. And as well - discuss and explore new avenues to expand and support what we started many years ago in Haiti.

So - we will just "do it" and get it done...

My sincerest thanks to all of you...

And yes - it is great to be home, if only for maybe (I'm not sure yet?) a week before I head back - as there is an incredible amount left to do.

John
Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

John - Doing updates for you was the EASY part. You my friend, are doing all the hard work!

Glad you are home
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM
John D.
Banned

I've been asked to take pictures and videos of what it was like last week in Haiti, and since I'm just home - I'm still getting caught up. Anyway - so - I did take videos and stuff. The link below is BIG (115 MB!) but -most of the pictures and video I took last week and threw this together. It is "my world" in Haiti - and if you have supported Project Rennwish - it is indeed, your world as well... My thanks for your support, well wishes and well, you know...

Here is that LINK (<--RIGHT click there) and try saving the link to your computer.. It is NOT finished - and only work in progress, but for those who want to see what Haiti is like - it might be interesting (it is a WMV file type)..

As well - I updated the Project Rennwish site for the orphanage and our kids in the Family to Foster program and stuff...

My Best Always,

John
Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Article in Wired magazine about Haiti:
Patience-wears-thin-in-port-au-prince

Haiti-reliefs-secret-weapon-google-earth/
Using GPS and geo-tagging to try and sort out aid relief.

Rainy season is supposed to begin in a few weeks. That's not going to help.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
John D.
Banned

As I leave tomorrow evening to return to Haiti (I did enjoy my brief stay at home over the past days!) and again - I wanted to express to all who have supported Rennwish, the appreciation from the children, people and orphans we are assisting through our programs. When I see them later this week, as well - I'm honored to be your "face" to so many... For that - before I leave - here is a update on your giving:

Total PayPal Receipts - $34,628.36
Total Check Deposits: - $23,080.00
Total Cash Deposits: - $20.00
Actual Receipts - 1/12-2/09 - $57,728.36

Total Checks Committed - En Route: - $250.00

Total - $57,978.36

Total Donations - Via Paypal - 316
Total Donations - Via Checks - 37
Total Donations - Via Cash - 1
Total Number of Donations - 354

Again - I wanted to publicly thak the North Country Region of PCA for their wonderful support of $5,000. To that end, I have also contacted several other PCA regions, who I've hosted their web presence for years - including MetroNY, OCR and others. I am hopeful that, they too - will join NCR Region in supporting our efforts in Haiti. In the words of NCR - "we are proud to have a Porsche enthusiast do so much for so many in need"... Aww - dang - in fact, I'm just "me" - and if you were me - you would do the same - and frankly, Project Rennwish started as a grassroots effort on Rennlist - and Rennlist has supported PCA events, gatherings and the PCA community since 1998..? We did all that "together" - as I also believe it's about the "people", if you know what I mean?

Anyway - I'll try convince JoAnne and Jenn to keep the FaceBook Rennwish Page updated while I'm away, OK?

In the meantime - my sincerest thanks to all of you who have supported so much of our work... I don't think you know - or maybe you do know..?

John D.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Done Done DONE!!!

Don't have to worry about me.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FDM shop T-shirt proceeds on the way into PayPal now...

Again, thanks for the avenue to contribute, John
Old 02-10-2010, 03:52 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Hope this crazy Nor'Easter don't derail Dunkle's travel plans back to Haiti.