Need ideas: winter/go train car

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Need ideas: winter/go train car

hi guys,

I'm looking for ideas for a day to day car. I don't really want to leave my 996 turbo in the go train lot everyday, or have to drive it on the saltiest days of winter.

So I'm looking for some ideas. Current parameters are no more than $25k before taxes and fees. Must be reasonably reliable. Must be fun to drive. Current ideas are:
  1. 07/08 rs4 - not sure on the reliability of a high mileage version of this, but they seem way better than s4s of that vintage I love this car.
  2. 11/13 golf r - love it, and it's leading the pack,
  3. 12ish STI - great car, but I used to own an 07. Don't know if I want to go back.
  4. Brz or FRS - apparently can't go wrong with these things, although they probably suck in the winter.
Any other ideas? Would love some opinions.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:07 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

I vote for #3..... I have one for the winter and what's not to like ....

Equal Length headers going in this winter, should probably hit 300whp
Old 07-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

get an audi and have the best in winter(audi) and best in summer (996 turbo)
how long is the commute? you should consider that a lot of cars are stolen from go train lots as well.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:19 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

RS4 has some expensive wear/maintenance items.
on that list, #3 is my suggestion
Old 07-11-2017, 08:13 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Old 07-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

DO NOT MENTION WINTER !!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2017, 11:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

by the cheapest pos you can find and let people beat the crap out of the doors in the go train lot . \just get a beater a4
Old 07-12-2017, 01:40 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

Just come across this, fit your budget @ $24K
http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/f...sti-hatch.html
Old 07-12-2017, 03:11 AM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 153 Posts

2011 BMW 3-Series 335i xDrive Coupe (2 door) on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/w...utm_source=sms
Old 07-12-2017, 08:10 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got a 2017 Golf R for the wife for this exact purpose, to drive 7 minutes to the GO station lol. We bought it with the DSG suspension It seemed to be the best bang for the buck. we looked at the following:

1) Golf R - Price point was the lowest, interior was the best, convenience of the hatch, and the DSG was the most fun of all the semi auto transmissions (Auto is a huge plus for Toronto traffic)
2) Audi RS3 - Basically the same car as the Golf R but lose the convenience of the hatch and pay an extra 20+k for it
3) Focus RS - Super fun to drive, but surprisingly expensive. Manual not quite as convenient as the DSG. The seats are awesome, but interior materials an fit and finish left alot to be desired
4) Subaru STI - Everything was the exact same as the Focus RS as far as positives and negatives, but you also lose the convenience of the hatch
5) BMW BMW 330i x-drive touring - getting pricy and was very underwhelming with the four cylinder motor, even with the m-sport package (they need a 340i touring)
6) Mercedes GLA45 AMG - Pricy once optioned out, exterior looks like crap imo and the DSG is probably the most lack luster DSG I have driven

The RS4 would not be fun maintenance wise (Look into timing chain) plus at that age it is dated, at the end of the day the Golf R is the same 2.0L that is in the GTI and similar to the 1.8L in other VW's and audi's maint is much more affordable.

2012 STI would be alright if you go for the hatch, our issue was with the new models, the hatch isn't available and it is a real cheap creaky squeaky interior with a poor quality finish and ricer fanboy look.

BRZ - a light RWD car is probably going to be a regret if you get it, especially if it is just to commute / park and driving on only the ****tiest weather days. My other issue with it the practicality, 2 door coupes are not that. IMO get something 5 door that is fun to drive and practical, save the unpractical for the porsche
Old 07-12-2017, 09:08 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

For a winter DD I would say your best bet is to go with the FRS/BRZ.. fairly inexpensive and extremely reliable.. Exactly what you want for our canadian winters. I lease cars specifically because of our winters. I have no concerns of cold starts, scratches, dings, etc.. 2 years later rinse & repeat..
Old 07-12-2017, 09:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

For a winter car you recommend a rear wheel drive car with the engine in the front ? I know of a few of these written off swapping ends on dry pavement. Never mind winter.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:34 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
For a winter car you recommend a rear wheel drive car with the engine in the front ? I know of a few of these written off swapping ends on dry pavement. Never mind winter.
From his list, yes.. Besides who doesn't like doing donuts in a parking lot after a fresh snowfall..
Seriously though, every true canuck (non millennial) should have decent experience with F/R platform in winter.. and if not, well, it's a great time to learn,
Old 07-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I'm not too worried about the RWD thing. I drove a C63 through two Montreal winters. RWD is a ton of fun in the winter, except on the two to three days it really comes down. Some decent winter tires will fix that.

A lot of Subaru supporters here. I'll have to take another look there. It's probably the cheapest to fix, and the one I'd be least concerned leaving. As for the link above, $24k seems pretty steep for a car that blew up and must've been in an accident. But there are some good ones in that range.

For the RS4 maintenance points, it's the S4 that has the timing chain guider problems, which requires the whole engine to be dropped. I haven't found any other significant need, except for the occasional carbon clean.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Thanks for this!

Yeah, we have a similar commute. 7-10 minutes to the GO station. I don't really need a hatch, as we have a wagon as well. Also, as I said below, the RS4 doesn't have the timing chain problems. But yes, it's still a little concerning to own a 10 year old RS4. That may be too risky...

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
I just got a 2017 Golf R for the wife for this exact purpose, to drive 7 minutes to the GO station lol. We bought it with the DSG suspension It seemed to be the best bang for the buck. we looked at the following:

1) Golf R - Price point was the lowest, interior was the best, convenience of the hatch, and the DSG was the most fun of all the semi auto transmissions (Auto is a huge plus for Toronto traffic)
2) Audi RS3 - Basically the same car as the Golf R but lose the convenience of the hatch and pay an extra 20+k for it
3) Focus RS - Super fun to drive, but surprisingly expensive. Manual not quite as convenient as the DSG. The seats are awesome, but interior materials an fit and finish left alot to be desired
4) Subaru STI - Everything was the exact same as the Focus RS as far as positives and negatives, but you also lose the convenience of the hatch
5) BMW BMW 330i x-drive touring - getting pricy and was very underwhelming with the four cylinder motor, even with the m-sport package (they need a 340i touring)
6) Mercedes GLA45 AMG - Pricy once optioned out, exterior looks like crap imo and the DSG is probably the most lack luster DSG I have driven

The RS4 would not be fun maintenance wise (Look into timing chain) plus at that age it is dated, at the end of the day the Golf R is the same 2.0L that is in the GTI and similar to the 1.8L in other VW's and audi's maint is much more affordable.

2012 STI would be alright if you go for the hatch, our issue was with the new models, the hatch isn't available and it is a real cheap creaky squeaky interior with a poor quality finish and ricer fanboy look.

BRZ - a light RWD car is probably going to be a regret if you get it, especially if it is just to commute / park and driving on only the ****tiest weather days. My other issue with it the practicality, 2 door coupes are not that. IMO get something 5 door that is fun to drive and practical, save the unpractical for the porsche

Quick Reply: Need ideas: winter/go train car