Notices

What oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 01:19 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
That would be A40. They don't spec a single oil as that would be far too restrictive considering these car are sold worldwide. Same as they don't spec a single gasoline, window washer, etc. Any A40 oil has passed the specification Porsche sets and meets standard. I think Gregster summed it up nicely. Use an A40 oil and change frequently.
That answers my question.

Thanks all for feedback
Old 07-12-2017, 11:18 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Henry
BUT these are both diesel oils that will damage your cats on newer cars, so I wouldn't recommend those oils on a later car.
For later cars stick with an A40 approved oil.
I whole-heartedly agree with your advice regarding late model cars but wonder a bit about the damage to catalytic converter comment. Why? Certainly not from my own empirical efforts but it might indeed be a case of 'cover your a$$' on the part of Shell et al.

The 'damage' seems to be a function of
  • zddp content -- the more there is the more the surface inside the cat can be 'poisoned'
  • how much oil is consumed by the motor
  • how many times the PCM reads what's going on inside the cat; that is, a low-efficiency reading regarding ability to store O may be returned which will in-turn, change the mix settings...

Still, the S rating, whole-fleet approved, higher ZDDP levels associated with 40 ratings makes it a good choice. Except in the cold!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:53 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

I was under the impression that even the rotalla and other diesel oils have also been reformulated with removed zddp. This is why I no longer put rotella in my car and stick with kendall racing or brad penn racing.

( I was also under the impression high zddp oils had to be labelled " racing oils" now not designed for street use , but alas \I may have dreamnt that up )

but I am talking strictly for air cooled engines now.

Quick Reply: What oil to use?